U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 12:23 PM

25,454 posts, read 23,273,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I worked in a restaurant when I was 16. Babysat when I was 17 (so I could study after the kids went to sleep). Taught me the value of a dollar and how much you have to work to actually earn money.

That restaurant's still in my old neighborhood. 100% of the staff is now Latino. Don't know what their immigration status is, but none of them appear to be teenagers. Sad that teens no longer have that opportunity.

As for the babysitters in the old 'hood...most people now use Hispanic nannies.
yes, I agree, now you have teenagers suing their parents for college costs....and teenagers don't have a clue about what it's like to have to work and make their own money.

We as Americans have become very soft....

the ripple effect of all of this illegal immigration is going to be gigantic...in years to come if we don't get rid of them and start all over, first securing the borders, then rewriting our immigration system.

Then enforcing it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 01:05 PM

7,624 posts, read 8,115,516 times
People keep talking about illegal Hispanics is all these low wage jobs. But what about here on Long Island where we have illegal immigrants from Ireland working in all the bars, restaurants, and resorts in the Hamptons? In fact, a well known Montauk resort has been investigated and fined multiple times for using Irish illegals on their housekeeping staff.

It's not just "Mexicans" (code word for any Hispanic).

Edit: as a side note I went to a local McDonald's for lunch today and every single worker I saw was White Anglo. Go figure ...

Old 12-09-2014, 01:18 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
People keep talking about illegal Hispanics is all these low wage jobs. But what about here on Long Island where we have illegal immigrants from Ireland working in all the bars, restaurants, and resorts in the Hamptons? In fact, a well known Montauk resort has been investigated and fined multiple times for using Irish illegals on their housekeeping staff.

Edit: as a side note I went to a local McDonald's for lunch today and every single worker I saw was White Anglo. Go figure ...
Here in Texas most illegals will be Hispanic. It's a consequence of geography.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:50 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,333,258 times
Quote:

I've met a bunch of "invisible illegals." I'm against anyone choosing to be here illegally, as a crminal. Race has no impact on that for me.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:00 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,137,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Please......
Than drop the absurd example. Area 51 or Pelican Bay prison are very secure...but at huge high cost and very specific circumstance. They are quite irrelevant to our southern border. You ever been on the border in southern Arizona or at the Rio Grande? Do you even vaguely understand what you have to do to secure a few hundred miles of river used by both sides as a recreation spot?

The border will never be secure to the extent that smugglers cannot get people across it. The question is how much money do we want to pour into limiting the number.

And note that almost half did not sneak across the border so border security impacts at best half the influx.

Last edited by lvoc; 12-09-2014 at 02:51 PM..

Old 12-09-2014, 02:05 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
Every janitor service every gardening service every house construction company employs illegals
The kick in the head is when I see them cleaning the bathrooms and cutting the grass at the police station and the county admin building not to mention my church

Old 12-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Every janitor service every gardening service every house construction company employs illegals
The kick in the head is when I see them cleaning the bathrooms and cutting the grass at the police station and the county admin building not to mention my church
Everyone is paying illegals in way or another.

I laugh at all of the "conservatives" in Orange County, CA getting their car washed and nanny for cheap by illegals.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:44 PM

12,043 posts, read 5,595,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, I agree, now you have teenagers suing their parents for college costs....and teenagers don't have a clue about what it's like to have to work and make their own money.

We as Americans have become very soft....

the ripple effect of all of this illegal immigration is going to be gigantic...in years to come if we don't get rid of them and start all over, first securing the borders, then rewriting our immigration system.

Then enforcing it.
Wait. So snotty self absorbed, self entitled, incapable teens, who by the way have been acting in such a way since the dawn of time, are now the fault of illegals? Americans are soft....and that is the fault of illegal immigrants? Please, do tell how this is so & also how this has to do with immigrants working in restaurants, which is the topic of this thread.

Last edited by thefragile; 12-09-2014 at 02:53 PM..

Old 12-09-2014, 03:22 PM

110 posts, read 121,597 times
Quote:

That's an oddity for Long Island and New England I suppose. Here in Jersey we are filled to the top with illegal Hispanics, mainly Mexicans. I wouldn't doubt that there are some Russians here illegally as well, they have a presence in Middlesex County. I once met an illegal from a Serb country.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:36 PM

31,475 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Everyone is paying illegals in way or another.

I laugh at all of the "conservatives" in Orange County, CA getting their car washed and nanny for cheap by illegals.

How do you know what their political affiliation is? However, not all conservatives oppose illegal immigration any more than all Democrats are pro-illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or