U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2014, 12:57 PM

25,455 posts, read 23,279,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Americans are not soft nor are our youth. They have lost their jobs to illegal aliens simply because they work cheaper. Doesn't matter anyway the employers have no lawful right to hire them nor do the illegal aliens have the lawful right to work here.
Americans are soft....
they did a survey, before the market crashed the last time, and so many corporate people said, I'd never do a job where My hands got dirty.

Yanno what, when you have a family to feed and bills to pay, your not above any job, including collecting trash, cleaning houses, you'll do anything to survive.

Point made
and I bet those same corporate people now would love to work at any job they could get their hands on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 12:58 PM

25,455 posts, read 23,279,677 times
Quote:
Or simply because someone has a vested interest to make sure that illegal aliens can continue to come in large numbers. For some it is because they hire them and make a profit off of them and for some it is because of ethnic ties to the majority of them and are bleeding heart liberals.

Again, enforcing our immigration laws and doing a better job of securing our border will not stop illegal immigration altogether but it certainly would put a big dent in it and well worth the monies spent to do so. The cheapest way of doing it as I have often repeated is to remove all the incentives for them to remain here and to continue to come here. Many if not most would self-deport and fewer attempts would be made to gain illegal entry.

you go to any other country and attempt to live there illegally and see what happens.....

Old 12-10-2014, 01:05 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,142,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
a nay sayer is a person who absolutely loves to destroy any attempt to better things....
I'm sorry but your wrong....

It would help a great deal....it would definately not solve the problem totally, but we can learn from our experiences of breaching the wall and keep fixing it each time it fails, or someone finds another way thru, in the meantime, it would have a huge impact on the number of people getting thru.

Now, you start revising our immigration laws, and put them into effect....and get serious about some very serious violations....

now, you take buses into the states, one state at a time, and you start deporting people....all of them...period...if they want to come back, they come back legally and take all the necessary tests while learning to speak our language.

You make an announcement before you deport them, that any illegal in this country will be deported back to Mexico, or whatever country they are from.

You start out slow, and this will take years, but it's a start....we make it known that we are a country governed by laws, and our laws are to be respected by all, including Americans.

But, it will never happen, b/c of nay sayers as yourself....why? Simply b/c you don't want to....
We are presently funded to deal with less than 500,000 illegals a year. That is actually not even sufficient to hold the total in check if the economy gets good and the donor economy goes bad. So we will see rising numbers if the economy goes in a particular direction.

So your first problem is you have to put more money into enforcement to reduce the numbers. And if you want to reduce the numbers by any substantial amount you need to put in a lot of money.

You can't. There is no will to increase the security budget except in an overall comprehensive immigration program. So nothing is going to happen.

The Anti program can and does prevent reform. But it also maintains the status quo which is probably the worst case outcome.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:15 PM

10,157 posts, read 9,907,643 times
Quote:
I didn't start this thread, to have wise guys come in and critise, it's a discussion thread...the kitchens I worked for, all had illegal Mexicans....however, where did I say, that was all....
If you want to continue in this thread, fine, but stop being a wise guy...

ok?

How do you tell a Honduran etc from a Mexican?

Old 12-10-2014, 01:23 PM

31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Americans are soft....
they did a survey, before the market crashed the last time, and so many corporate people said, I'd never do a job where My hands got dirty.

Yanno what, when you have a family to feed and bills to pay, your not above any job, including collecting trash, cleaning houses, you'll do anything to survive.

Point made
and I bet those same corporate people now would love to work at any job they could get their hands on.
We'll have to agree to disagree then. Are you saying that illegals didn't take over the construction industry, landscaping and all sorts of blue collared jobs just because they worked cheaper? Surely you know that was the case not that Americans were soft. They were already working when the flood of illegal aliens poured in and took their jobs in collusion with the greedy employers willing to break the law and stab their American workers in the back just for more profit. I am puzzled as to just where you stand on this issue for sure.

Last edited by Oldglory; 12-10-2014 at 01:38 PM..

Old 12-10-2014, 01:33 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,142,160 times
Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree then. Are you saying that illegals didn't take over the construction industry, landscaping and all sorts of blue collared jobs just because they worked cheaper? Surely you know that was the case not that Americans were soft. They were already working when the flood of illegal aliens poured in and took their jobs in collusion with the greedy employers willing to break the law and stab their American workers in the back just for more profit. Seems to me like you are talking out of both sides of your mouth here.
Actually here the battle had more to do with union versus non union trades men. The union had the construction industry tied up 50 years ago but got basically put out of business by White contractors using Hispanic workers. And the workers were Hispanic and mostly not illegal in that industry.. and still are. I am certainly not claiming there are no illegals in our construction trades. There are lots. But mostly the construction workers are legal. And lots of legal workers get paid in cash.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:44 PM

11,496 posts, read 5,511,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What jobs exactly have they lost? All my nieces & nephews who range from their teens to 20's have jobs. So, what jobs are being lost to illegals?
What state do they live in and what jobs do they do?

If they are in AZ, since E-verify is the law there, it's easier for teens and young people to find work. Go to fast food restaurants there and you will see young Americans working those jobs.

If they are in an area (such as the Heartland) that hasn't been infested with illegals, then it's clear to see why they have jobs.

Or, maybe they do jobs that require some skill plus literacy.

So, are you asking in all seriousness, what jobs have been lost to illegals?

Oh, let me see...Plenty of honest contractors in the construction fields have lost their livelihoods because they couldn't compete with sleazy contractors who hired illegals and paid under the table.

In L.A., once we got infested with illegals, they broke the janitorial unions. At one time most of those jobs were held by blacks and paid decently. Then illegals showed up in great numbers and sleazy employers figured out that they could hire illegals for cheap, thus displacing long-time American workers.

So many illegals have taken jobs in fast food restaurants in some areas that if Americans want those jobs they don't get hired because they don't speak Spanish.

I could go on but, hopefully, you get the picture.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
How do you tell a Honduran etc from a Mexican?
How do you know that those workers didn't tell her that they were Mexicans?

Old 12-10-2014, 03:04 PM

9,585 posts, read 20,464,174 times
I worked in fast food as a teen. By far the best workers were Hispanics and Bosnians. American teenagers were lazy and didn't show up half the time. If I ran a restaurant I wouldn't hire Americans unless totally necessary.

Also, why do you assume they are illegal? Just because they're Hispanic?

Old 12-10-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I worked in fast food as a teen. By far the best workers were Hispanics and Bosnians. American teenagers were lazy and didn't show up half the time. If I ran a restaurant I wouldn't hire Americans unless totally necessary.

Also, why do you assume they are illegal? Just because they're Hispanic?
And you would get in trouble for discrimination. Plus you are painting all Americans with a broad brush, just as you are with foreign-born workers.

That American you would refuse to hire could have turned out to be a great worker. While that foreign-born worker could have turned out to be a lazy, dishonest worker.

Either way, I would hope that you would at least make an effort to hire those who are legally authorized to work in this country and would use E-verify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or