U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2014, 11:13 AM
 
25,485 posts, read 23,323,899 times
Reputation: 15343

Advertisements

I don't know if Americans are aware of this, but many years ago, when I waitressed, over the years, almost everywhere I worked, they had Illegal Mexican's working in the restaurant kitchens, and they'd pay them under the table. Every Friday came, and I'd watch as they'd hand those guys, those little white manilla envelopes with cash in them.

These people could not talk English...however, Italian and Greek Language are close, they the owners were able to communicate with them.

I don't believe Americans are aware of this? And if they are, my concern is disease...., flues, hepititis, etc.

Now I don't mind at all that people want to come to this nation, but what I do mind, is the fact that these illegals are being paid by so many companies under the table, therefore, slave labor! And, if they want to come to this nation, then do it right and become an American citizen.

What's your take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2014, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Arizona
289 posts, read 178,999 times
Reputation: 560
don't care who is making it as long as the food is good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 11:17 AM
 
25,485 posts, read 23,323,899 times
Reputation: 15343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heterojunction View Post
don't care who is making it as long as the food is good
you don't care that they are illegal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 28,311,395 times
Reputation: 7824
Crack down on business owners who hire illegals if you want to solve a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 11:22 AM
 
14,920 posts, read 10,738,128 times
Reputation: 4828
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
you don't care that they are illegal?
My concern would be that they're being taken advantage of by the restaurateur and being paid less than minimum wage, not that they're "illegal."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Texas
471 posts, read 677,257 times
Reputation: 317
I worked at an El Chico's restaurant in high school in the 80's. All the cooks were illegals and I think everyone of them were marijuana dealers on the side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 11:22 AM
 
12,089 posts, read 5,621,786 times
Reputation: 13605
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't know if Americans are aware of this, but many years ago, when I waitressed, over the years, almost everywhere I worked, they had Illegal Mexican's working in the restaurant kitchens, and they'd pay them under the table. Every Friday came, and I'd watch as they'd hand those guys, those little white manilla envelopes with cash in them.

These people could not talk English...however, Italian and Greek Language are close, they the owners were able to communicate with them.

I don't believe Americans are aware of this? And if they are, my concern is disease...., flues, hepititis, etc.

Now I don't mind at all that people want to come to this nation, but what I do mind, is the fact that these illegals are being paid by so many companies under the table, therefore, slave labor! And, if they want to come to this nation, then do it right and become an American citizen.

What's your take?
Please, Anthony Bourdain talked about this years ago. It's nothing new.

Wait, you're worried about disease? Hahaha, why aren't you worried about disease with european american workers?

My take is, I knew this a long time ago & don't care. Those guys are some of the best chefs so keep up the great work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 11:23 AM
 
10,543 posts, read 11,693,265 times
Reputation: 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Crack down on business owners who hire illegals if you want to solve a problem.
Indeed. A restaurant where I live has been caught with this an got in trouble. The illegal immigrants were not from Mexico or Central America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 11:25 AM
 
25,485 posts, read 23,323,899 times
Reputation: 15343
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Crack down on business owners who hire illegals if you want to solve a problem.
yup, I agree....totally, but they won't.

Even if a Republican gets to be a President this time, no one, on either side will do anything about this problem....nothing.

Yanno, everyone says it's impossible to control the boarders with a wall.....

Well, if that were correct, how in the world, has Hanger 51 been kept isolated, with high tech survellance, they've got electrical mechanisms across the road to alert people inside if someone is getting to close, they also watch the skies and tell people who are flying into the area to leave or else.

They could do the very same thing with a wall....period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 11:27 AM
 
25,485 posts, read 23,323,899 times
Reputation: 15343
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Please, Anthony Bourdain talked about this years ago. It's nothing new.

Wait, you're worried about disease? Hahaha, why aren't you worried about disease with european american workers?

My take is, I knew this a long time ago & don't care. Those guys are some of the best chefs so keep up the great work!
I didn't start this thread, to have wise guys come in and critise, it's a discussion thread...the kitchens I worked for, all had illegal Mexicans....however, where did I say, that was all....
If you want to continue in this thread, fine, but stop being a wise guy...

ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top