Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 06:31 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,743,495 times

Advertisements

What are the Republicans plans to solve the illegal immigration problem? All I have seen in the news so far, are attempts to cut off funding or reverse executive actions, by writing bills that will never become law.

If they are really against illegal immigration, then where are the bills for national e-verify, increased border security or any other common sense measure that would actually result in significant reduction in the numbers of illegal immigrants? Seems like from their actions so far, that Republicans want to do nothing to actually remove illegals, but want to still be viewed as anti-amnesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 06:51 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Absolutely nothing. All those years when they were in charge of all three houses and they did nothing and will do nothing.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Absolutely nothing. All those years when they were in charge of all three houses and they did nothing and will do nothing.
i guess you could say the same about democrats since they could have pushed for their bill during obamas first 2 years. then waited till they wouldn't be able to get votes to pass the comprehensive bill. based on actions, i'd have think that both parties support massive illegal immigration.

seems like each party is using the illegal immigration issue as a political game. now the republicans are approaching it like obama is the bad guy and they are going against him, but only doing what is sure to fail, so they can say, "look we tried" but at the same time it results in nothing changing.

but, how long can republicans make the illegal immigration issue about undoing or unfunding executive actions? i doubt the issue is just going to be forgotten about in a few months. seems like at some point soon they will have to put up some reasonable bills or they will be out of a job in a couple years. maybe they are trying to buy some time, hoping another bigger issue will come up so there will be an excuse for inaction.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:33 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
What are the Republicans plans to solve the illegal immigration problem? All I have seen in the news so far, are attempts to cut off funding or reverse executive actions, by writing bills that will never become law.

If they are really against illegal immigration, then where are the bills for national e-verify, increased border security or any other common sense measure that would actually result in significant reduction in the numbers of illegal immigrants? Seems like from their actions so far, that Republicans want to do nothing to actually remove illegals, but want to still be viewed as anti-amnesty.
That's why they objected to the Senate bill because it would do nothing to stop illegal immigration. Before you count your chickens let's see what they do now that they control both Houses and what happens in 2016.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
i guess you could say the same about democrats since they could have pushed for their bill during obamas first 2 years. then waited till they wouldn't be able to get votes to pass the comprehensive bill. based on actions, i'd have think that both parties support massive illegal immigration.

seems like each party is using the illegal immigration issue as a political game. now the republicans are approaching it like obama is the bad guy and they are going against him, but only doing what is sure to fail, so they can say, "look we tried" but at the same time it results in nothing changing.

but, how long can republicans make the illegal immigration issue about undoing or unfunding executive actions? i doubt the issue is just going to be forgotten about in a few months. seems like at some point soon they will have to put up some reasonable bills or they will be out of a job in a couple years. maybe they are trying to buy some time, hoping another bigger issue will come up so there will be an excuse for inaction.
Inaction....translation.... not granting amnesty.....good!

Old 01-14-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Inaction....translation.... not granting amnesty.....good!
i don't think that not having the worst outcome is good. good would be making a real effort to enforce laws and actively discouraging illegal immigration by being inhospitable.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:26 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times
Sadly from speaking to the few party officials I know, I came away feeling that thus would have never been brought to a floor vote in the house without a guarantee that it would not pass the Senate.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Sadly from speaking to the few party officials I know, I came away feeling that thus would have never been brought to a floor vote in the house without a guarantee that it would not pass the Senate.
If the Republicans used immigration to gain seats in the midterms, then how is them accomplishing nothing over the next 2 years going to work out for them in the next election? If they just attempt to block executive orders and do nothing else, then it proves Obama's point that an executive action was the only way to get anything done.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:54 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Correct. In fact, it was Bush's seventh year in office when he finally visited the border and gave his lackluster speech about the border being out of control.

Really, Sherlock? It took you seven years to finally crack that nut?

Old 01-15-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
If the Republicans used immigration to gain seats in the midterms, then how is them accomplishing nothing over the next 2 years going to work out for them in the next election? If they just attempt to block executive orders and do nothing else, then it proves Obama's point that an executive action was the only way to get anything done.
So granting stays of deportation is "getting something done"? That something isn't a good thing so what's the point? How about enforcing our immigration laws instead? Now that's getting something done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration