U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 04:23 PM

31,578 posts, read 53,114,182 times

Advertisements

Im a liberal democrat(born and bred in the Bay Area by immigrants who came here in 1969) and that's not gonna change and was caught off guard on a flight back from Chicago where I had somewhat of a heated exchange with a fellow lib-dem. We were debating the need for immigrants to learn english and become more americanized as far as acclimating to the dominant culture. She said it was racist to "force" immigrants to learn english and acclimate to American Culture.

I think that's absurd and treats immigrants as if they are incapable-my folks sure as hell werent incapable. Hog Wash I say. I think its vital that we share a common language and common culture-sure there's nothing wroing with retaining one's one heritage but

Anyway,
It seems that immigrants who came here in the early 1900s were far more apt to actually become americans in every sense of the word.

Today,
I hate to say it but it seems that far too many immigrants are inclined to try to create little pieces of their homelands here instead of being like the rest of us. Nothing wrong with ethnic neighborhoods I suppose but why not learn english?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 04:26 PM

1,693 posts, read 3,106,847 times
I agree 100%. When my family migrated here they all learned English to be part of the country. Why should that change? Are the new immigrants implying that they have a learning deficit?

Old 01-04-2008, 04:26 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times
My family adapted fast from Ireland in the 1900 and my family from Germany in 1940 and were proud to be Americans. I dont think the illegals of today are here to be citizens, but just make money and go home and retire. There is no desire to become one of us.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:33 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
My family adapted fast from Ireland in the 1900 and my family from Germany in 1940 and were proud to be Americans. I dont think the illegals of today are here to be citizens, but just make money and go home and retire. There is no desire to become one of us.
Bingo! They are only here to 'receive.'

Old 01-04-2008, 04:38 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,036,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
The immigrants of yesterday came here for a better life, they worked to bring their whole family here for that better life.

I would say most immigrants today do not think this way, they work to send money home and have no intention of bringing their whole family here.

This sending of monies earned out of the country does nothing to help this countries economic status nevermind all the other problems with illegal immigrant labour.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:57 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im a liberal democrat(born and bred in the Bay Area by immigrants who came here in 1969) and that's not gonna change and was caught off guard on a flight back from Chicago where I had somewhat of a heated exchange with a fellow lib-dem. We were debating the need for immigrants to learn english and become more americanized as far as acclimating to the dominant culture. She said it was racist to "force" immigrants to learn english and acclimate to American Culture.

I think that's absurd and treats immigrants as if they are incapable-my folks sure as hell werent incapable. Hog Wash I say. I think its vital that we share a common language and common culture-sure there's nothing wroing with retaining one's one heritage but

Anyway,
It seems that immigrants who came here in the early 1900s were far more apt to actually become americans in every sense of the word.

Today,
I hate to say it but it seems that far too many immigrants are inclined to try to create little pieces of their homelands here instead of being like the rest of us. Nothing wrong with ethnic neighborhoods I suppose but why not learn english?
You are about the fourth self described 'Liberal' who is making a hard right turn when illegal immigrants are concerned.

Trust me; I fully understand as I, too am an Old School Liberal.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:19 PM

31,578 posts, read 53,114,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You are about the fourth self described 'Liberal' who is making a hard right turn when illegal immigrants are concerned.

Trust me; I fully understand as I, too am an Old School Liberal.
LOL@ hard right turn.

I just think its ridiculous to label the desire for immigrants to learn english as "racist".

Old 01-04-2008, 06:29 PM

206 posts, read 365,812 times
This type of thing doesn't surprise me at all. I explain it this way:

Under the twin demons of multiculturalism and political correctness, anything that does not laud, promote, and "celebrate" any and all aspects of any non-Western European or non-Anglo-American culture is inherently racist.

Naturally, anything that is seen as promoting any aspect of Anglo-American culture is suspect at best, racist at worst. The English language obviously falls into this unfortunate category. To insist that any group learn it is oppressive and suggestive of a colonial mentality.

On the other hand, all Anglo-Americans must learn about and praise all aspects of non-Anglo culture to shake off the stigma of racism they inherited from their ancestors.

Comprende?

I know I'm going to hear it from someone...But, I just couldn't help myself.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:35 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue pekoe View Post
This type of thing doesn't surprise me at all. I explain it this way:

Under the twin demons of multiculturalism and political correctness, anything that does not laud, promote, and "celebrate" any and all aspects of any non-Western European or non-Anglo-American culture is inherently racist.

Naturally, anything that is seen as promoting any aspect of Anglo-American culture is suspect at best, racist at worst. The English language obviously falls into this unfortunate category. To insist that any group learn it is oppressive and suggestive of a colonial mentality.

On the other hand, all Anglo-Americans must learn about and praise all aspects of non-Anglo culture to shake off the stigma of racism they inherited from their ancestors.

Comprende?

I know I'm going to hear it from someone...But, I just couldn't help myself.
Hmmm.....methinks that blue pekoe graduated magna *** laude from the Macmeal School of Sarcasm.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:36 PM

206 posts, read 365,812 times
I couldn't help myself, AZ. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to vent on the multiculturalism that's been shoved down my throat as a resident of Mexifornia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration