U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2014, 11:22 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,312,337 times
Reputation: 5895

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sadly it won't change. The government is turning a blind eye to this. In return they get revenue.
Tens of billions of dollars leave this country..money earned under the table and not reported.
Not being recirculated in the US but "sent home". Most Latin American countries depend on this money to keep their countries solvent.

It's not just the US though. Europe is also being invaded with poor, unskilled and barely educated third world people.
But at least ours are not coming from terrorist nations.
Things are changing FAST in Europe over illegal aliens. Tho acting like a crazy "Muslim" makes enemies there real fast despite many of them being legal or even citizens of the countries over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2014, 08:42 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,624 posts, read 31,218,659 times
Reputation: 26696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
So...I've said it before, and I'll say it again... if you don't want to contribute to the illegal alien problem, then cook your own food, cut your own grass, wash your own car etc. It might make a dent and it's something the average person can do without waiting on the government to "fix" the problem, or the authorities to "raid businesses" (as if THAT will ever happen!)
An American cuts my grass.

I cook my own food, clean my own house, and wash my own car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2014, 03:22 PM
 
3,032 posts, read 2,873,313 times
Reputation: 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It doesn't matter how hard an illegal alien works. Nothing justifies their presence here. It is foolish to imply that Americans don't work just as hard or that they won't do certain jobs that illegals do either. It is simply not true.
Hey! Quit clutching your pearls there, I agree with you! I'm not suggesting there isn't hard working Americans!

And I agree the borders need to be shut, employers need to be fined enough where it's prohibitive to hire, and any illegal car washer and fast food worker deported, and I don't care if because of it a business shuts down. I don't have to eat at McDonalds again! lol! And if we DO need extra hands for whatever reason it should be done legally with proper visas only after every American has the opportunity to take the job! See I can dream too!

However... again, (and how many times do I have to say this) I'm speaking of my experience in the areas I've worked. The attraction for employers is not only financial, and I feel it has to at least be acknowledged!

Over the years I've seen first hand where employers prefer to employ "Mexicans" in particular. ("Mexicans" being the common example of who is hired in great numbers where I live where their legality is neither here nor there...before anyone jumps all over me for saying "Mexicans".)

Before my last job where I was for over 8 years, I worked very briefly at another restaurant (chain). The manager, who was Mexican himself, gave us a tour of the place. He showed us the kitchen and the grill, and warned us how extremely hot it was, he then said, and I quote, because I'll NEVER forget it... "this is why we hire Mexicans...they just come and work... they don't faint and sue!" Yeah, this pis$ed me off! He said it, he didn't care if he said it, and I had to admit there was some truth to it.

I didn't work there long, because the young servers there were spoiled brats. This is the place where I heard a young man telling the rest of us if they don't give them the weekend off for snowboarding, he'd just quit!

Years ago I worked for an independent restaurant where the owner hired all "American" kids. As soon as one of the "bus girls" was asked to clean the toilets, she was whining. As the kids moved on, more Mexicans were hired.

My point is not to put down hard working Americans. Geesh, I consider myself one. I'm not college educated, and most of my jobs haven't been "dainty". I've never shirked my duties even when they've been unpleasant. One of my first jobs as a 21 year old was in a beer bar in the middle of an industrial area. I cooked, served, poured, mopped, put up with harassment, and you aint lived till you had to unclog a toilet after a houseful of big burly men over invaded! I did draw the line when the owner, (a total slob) who'd thrown out a bunch of rotten meat outside in the alley wanted me to clean it all up. It was there for a few days apparently and was full of maggots! That one I told him to do it himself, I do have my limits! (And then I got a new job!)

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2014, 03:23 PM
 
3,032 posts, read 2,873,313 times
Reputation: 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
An American cuts my grass.

I cook my own food, clean my own house, and wash my own car.
Kudos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2014, 03:34 PM
 
5,799 posts, read 4,831,894 times
Reputation: 17504
I was talking with a group of small farmers a few days ago, and we all have the same problem: finding workers to do seasonal things like pick berries or vegetables, or hands on things like shifting manure, and etc. We can't find American teens or adults to do it, or if they even come to work they only last a day. It seems as though only the recently arrived people from South America who have moved to my area will do that kind of work.

We pay minimum wage and treat our workers well, and I think that it's more fun than fast food joint work, so what can we do???

You can be self sufficient when you're just a homeowner, but we small farmers need workers. (No one we've ever hired has been illegal, to my knowledge.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2014, 03:41 PM
 
31,782 posts, read 14,639,851 times
Reputation: 8475
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I was talking with a group of small farmers a few days ago, and we all have the same problem: finding workers to do seasonal things like pick berries or vegetables, or hands on things like shifting manure, and etc. We can't find American teens or adults to do it, or if they even come to work they only last a day. It seems as though only the recently arrived people from South America who have moved to my area will do that kind of work.

We pay minimum wage and treat our workers well, and I think that it's more fun than fast food joint work, so what can we do???

You can be self sufficient when you're just a homeowner, but we small farmers need workers. (No one we've ever hired has been illegal, to my knowledge.)
You've never heard of the unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign ag workers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2014, 03:47 PM
 
31,782 posts, read 14,639,851 times
Reputation: 8475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hey! Quit clutching your pearls there, I agree with you! I'm not suggesting there isn't hard working Americans!

And I agree the borders need to be shut, employers need to be fined enough where it's prohibitive to hire, and any illegal car washer and fast food worker deported, and I don't care if because of it a business shuts down. I don't have to eat at McDonalds again! lol! And if we DO need extra hands for whatever reason it should be done legally with proper visas only after every American has the opportunity to take the job! See I can dream too!

However... again, (and how many times do I have to say this) I'm speaking of my experience in the areas I've worked. The attraction for employers is not only financial, and I feel it has to at least be acknowledged!

Over the years I've seen first hand where employers prefer to employ "Mexicans" in particular. ("Mexicans" being the common example of who is hired in great numbers where I live where their legality is neither here nor there...before anyone jumps all over me for saying "Mexicans".)

Before my last job where I was for over 8 years, I worked very briefly at another restaurant (chain). The manager, who was Mexican himself, gave us a tour of the place. He showed us the kitchen and the grill, and warned us how extremely hot it was, he then said, and I quote, because I'll NEVER forget it... "this is why we hire Mexicans...they just come and work... they don't faint and sue!" Yeah, this pis$ed me off! He said it, he didn't care if he said it, and I had to admit there was some truth to it.

I didn't work there long, because the young servers there were spoiled brats. This is the place where I heard a young man telling the rest of us if they don't give them the weekend off for snowboarding, he'd just quit!

Years ago I worked for an independent restaurant where the owner hired all "American" kids. As soon as one of the "bus girls" was asked to clean the toilets, she was whining. As the kids moved on, more Mexicans were hired.

My point is not to put down hard working Americans. Geesh, I consider myself one. I'm not college educated, and most of my jobs haven't been "dainty". I've never shirked my duties even when they've been unpleasant. One of my first jobs as a 21 year old was in a beer bar in the middle of an industrial area. I cooked, served, poured, mopped, put up with harassment, and you aint lived till you had to unclog a toilet after a houseful of big burly men over invaded! I did draw the line when the owner, (a total slob) who'd thrown out a bunch of rotten meat outside in the alley wanted me to clean it all up. It was there for a few days apparently and was full of maggots! That one I told him to do it himself, I do have my limits! (And then I got a new job!)

Cheers!
Clutching my pearls? I'm a male and I don't wear pearls. You say you are a hard working American yourself. What makes you think that the majority aren't just because you have seen the other side of the spectrum? Mexicans (legal or otherwise) don't hold the corner of the market on good work ethics. It's very nave of you to think otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2014, 04:13 PM
 
3,032 posts, read 2,873,313 times
Reputation: 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Clutching my pearls? I'm a male and I don't wear pearls. You say you are a hard working American yourself. What makes you think that the majority aren't just because you have seen the other side of the spectrum? Mexicans (legal or otherwise) don't hold the corner of the market on good work ethics. It's very nave of you to think otherwise.
I know, ha ha!

To be clear... I, personally, do NOT think only Mexicans are good workers!

I DO NOT agree with the mantra that "they only do the jobs that American don't want to do". It's utter BS, and it makes me nuts! I've seen on our road trips evidence of that.
I just happen to live in a weird bubble (which I've stated again and again) where there might be some truth to it in certain areas of employment. Got it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2014, 04:27 PM
 
5,799 posts, read 4,831,894 times
Reputation: 17504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You've never heard of the unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign ag workers?
Ummm, how does that solve the problem of Americans being unwilling to work on small farms??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2014, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Prepperland
13,149 posts, read 9,227,223 times
Reputation: 9022
The most effective means to eliminate the "benefit" for hiring undocumented labor is to eliminate the overhead imposed by socialist government.
__ taxes
__ administrative overhead
__ insurance
__ red tape
...
Without government interference and tax burdens, there would be no bar to hiring "legal" workers, nor benefit for hiring "illegals."

P.S. - the 'unwillingness' of American labor to do 'certain' jobs is due to the inequitable pay. Too many parasites are living on a worker's wages, for such jobs to be better than getting on the dole. Eliminate the socialist dole, and the problem resolves itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top