Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 10:25 AM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times

Advertisements

at least in Southern California! Maybe we should start a support group! Of course, anyone can join, not just Californians!

So...I've said it before, and I'll say it again... if you don't want to contribute to the illegal alien problem, then cook your own food, cut your own grass, wash your own car etc. It might make a dent and it's something the average person can do without waiting on the government to "fix" the problem, or the authorities to "raid businesses" (as if THAT will ever happen!)

Affluent people in my area who eat out all the time who complain about illegals seem to be oblivious that they are contributing to creating the need for so many restaurant workers, and yes, they ARE hard workers, and they STAY at the job, unlike the affluent kids around my area who quit if their boss doesn't let them have the weekend off for snowboarding! (I was an eye witness to this myself, as I've worked as a server most of my adult life, and that's just one example)

I once asked a friend who lives in the mid west if they had an illegal alien problem where she lived. She said they were here and there, but not a large population. I asked who worked in the fast food restaurants and she said, kids, moms, uneducated etc.

I asked her who washed the cars at the car wash? She said "what do you mean"? I said if you take your car to a car wash, who is washing it?... She said "we do!" So she was talking about the do it your self type, and said the "service" ones are in the "rich" areas.

Of course!

Californians really like their servants!
(I already KNOW there're exceptions, and I already KNOW that there are people from south of the border who are also Californians, and I KNOW that not everyone in California is "rich", so nobody start yelling at me! I'm generalizing here to make a point! LOL!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 03:16 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
at least in Southern California! Maybe we should start a support group! Of course, anyone can join, not just Californians!

So...I've said it before, and I'll say it again... if you don't want to contribute to the illegal alien problem, then cook your own food, cut your own grass, wash your own car etc. It might make a dent and it's something the average person can do without waiting on the government to "fix" the problem, or the authorities to "raid businesses" (as if THAT will ever happen!)

Affluent people in my area who eat out all the time who complain about illegals seem to be oblivious that they are contributing to creating the need for so many restaurant workers, and yes, they ARE hard workers, and they STAY at the job, unlike the affluent kids around my area who quit if their boss doesn't let them have the weekend off for snowboarding! (I was an eye witness to this myself, as I've worked as a server most of my adult life, and that's just one example)

I once asked a friend who lives in the mid west if they had an illegal alien problem where she lived. She said they were here and there, but not a large population. I asked who worked in the fast food restaurants and she said, kids, moms, uneducated etc.

I asked her who washed the cars at the car wash? She said "what do you mean"? I said if you take your car to a car wash, who is washing it?... She said "we do!" So she was talking about the do it your self type, and said the "service" ones are in the "rich" areas.

Of course!

Californians really like their servants!
(I already KNOW there're exceptions, and I already KNOW that there are people from south of the border who are also Californians, and I KNOW that not everyone in California is "rich", so nobody start yelling at me! I'm generalizing here to make a point! LOL!!)
How do you convert those who don't care if they hire illegal aliens? You are preaching to the choir here. Those of us who are lawbiding do not hire illegal aliens for anything.

Please stop with the lazy American worker nonsense. The majority of Americans are not lazy. Our American youth that work in restaurants and other entry level jobs are not from affluent families. They are from middle and lower class families who need those jobs to gain job experience and some spending money. I couldn't care less how hard an illegal alien works or how dependable they are. It is irrelevant to our immigration laws. The greedy employers are hiring them simply because they work cheaper not because they can't find a hard working American to do the job.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:08 PM

22,470 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:

See...the problem with the above^ is that illegals have infested the entire food chain. They're in the meat and poultry packing plants, they're in the factories that can foods. Sleazy farmers who refused to use the guest worker visa program hire them to pick crops.

So what can anyone really do about it? You can stop going to restaurants but there is not guarantee that the food you buy wasn't handled by illegals.

Besides, what are you going to do? Go to a restaurant and ask if they hire illegals? If they do, they will lie and tell you that they don't do that.

There is a restaurant chain conglomerate that uses E-verify and they have no problems finding Americans and legal immigrants to take the back of the house jobs. However, when E-verify was implemented Ted Kennedy would only allow it if it wasn't used to weed out illegals. So, even when a restaurant uses it, there is no guarantee that there aren't some long term workers who are illegals.

I wish I knew the answer. We can't stop eating and unless you have lots of land and the skills most of us can't grow the majority of our personal food.

That said, we clean our own house, mow our own lawn, shovel our own snow and raised our own child.

When we need to hire a company to do work at our home, we ask them about their work force. If they use day laborers, we don't hire that company.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How do you convert those who don't care if they hire illegal aliens? You are preaching to the choir here. Those of us who are lawbiding do not hire illegal aliens for anything.

Please stop with the lazy American worker nonsense. The majority of Americans are not lazy. Our American youth that work in restaurants and other entry level jobs are not from affluent families. They are from middle and lower class families who need those jobs to gain job experience and some spending money. I couldn't care less how hard an illegal alien works or how dependable they are. It is irrelevant to our immigration laws. The greedy employers are hiring them simply because they work cheaper not because they can't find a hard working American to do the job.
I don't disagree with you in general...

A lot of my experience comes from living in an illegal alien servant bubble. However, I'm not to going NOT acknowledge that many of them, in general work very hard and under conditions that many, in general, of our more spoiled types, at least in my area, from what I've seen with my own eyes, will not do, or do with earnest.

When my husband and I go on road trips and visit other parts of the country, I'm always amazed and thrilled when I see restaurant crews, janitors, etc. etc. not from south of the border and speak perfect English, and I come back and remind many people of this!

But that's changing as well. We are seeing and hearing more Spanish now in places outside of California where ever we go. Not surprising...one of my co workers in my last job, said that some of his nephews got jobs up in Boise... now more of his family are moving up there. This is a culture that has numbers and their cup runneth over!

More and more, many restaurants have a majority Spanish crew. (please no one jump on me for singling out "Spanish", the majority of illegals come from South of the Border and some communities are so large in the Southwest that even many of their children who are born "American Citizens" are still immersed in their parents culture. Don't get me started on "bi-lingual everything") So, where I live, there are really no illegals "living in the shadows". and because of this, and so many, businesses like car washes are plentiful etc.

Disclaimer... before anyone starts crying racism because I single out the "south of the border" types, I'd feel the same way if we bordered Finland and we were experiencing the same conditions of out of control illegal border jumping, taking aid from the state while continuing to produce baby after baby, (yes, I know American citizens do this too) undercutting wages, speaking only Finnish, etc. etc. etc.! (oh and btw, I'm Finnish!)

Old 12-20-2014, 01:40 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:

A lot of my experience comes from living in an illegal alien servant bubble. However, I'm not to going NOT acknowledge that many of them, in general work very hard and under conditions that many, in general, of our more spoiled types, at least in my area, from what I've seen with my own eyes, will not do, or do with earnest.

When my husband and I go on road trips and visit other parts of the country, I'm always amazed and thrilled when I see restaurant crews, janitors, etc. etc. not from south of the border and speak perfect English, and I come back and remind many people of this!

But that's changing as well. We are seeing and hearing more Spanish now in places outside of California where ever we go. Not surprising...one of my co workers in my last job, said that some of his nephews got jobs up in Boise... now more of his family are moving up there. This is a culture that has numbers and their cup runneth over!

More and more, many restaurants have a majority Spanish crew. (please no one jump on me for singling out "Spanish", the majority of illegals come from South of the Border and some communities are so large in the Southwest that even many of their children who are born "American Citizens" are still immersed in their parents culture. Don't get me started on "bi-lingual everything") So, where I live, there are really no illegals "living in the shadows". and because of this, and so many, businesses like car washes are plentiful etc.

Disclaimer... before anyone starts crying racism because I single out the "south of the border" types, I'd feel the same way if we bordered Finland and we were experiencing the same conditions of out of control illegal border jumping, taking aid from the state while continuing to produce baby after baby, (yes, I know American citizens do this too) undercutting wages, speaking only Finnish, etc. etc. etc.! (oh and btw, I'm Finnish!)
Agreed. "Illegal alien" ain't a race.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
See...the problem with the above^ is that illegals have infested the entire food chain. They're in the meat and poultry packing plants, they're in the factories that can foods. Sleazy farmers who refused to use the guest worker visa program hire them to pick crops.

So what can anyone really do about it? You can stop going to restaurants but there is not guarantee that the food you buy wasn't handled by illegals.

Besides, what are you going to do? Go to a restaurant and ask if they hire illegals? If they do, they will lie and tell you that they don't do that.

There is a restaurant chain conglomerate that uses E-verify and they have no problems finding Americans and legal immigrants to take the back of the house jobs. However, when E-verify was implemented Ted Kennedy would only allow it if it wasn't used to weed out illegals. So, even when a restaurant uses it, there is no guarantee that there aren't some long term workers who are illegals.

I wish I knew the answer. We can't stop eating and unless you have lots of land and the skills most of us can't grow the majority of our personal food.

That said, we clean our own house, mow our own lawn, shovel our own snow and raised our own child.

When we need to hire a company to do work at our home, we ask them about their work force. If they use day laborers, we don't hire that company.
So say we all!
The situation is very frustrating!

Where we live, in many parts of California, the middle class is being squeezed out as it is in many parts of the country. Myself, I've mostly worked in restaurants, and I've cleaned houses and have helped taken care of a few elderly people. My husband is in tech, and while he makes a respectable middle class salary, my salary has always been low, so we live frugally. If you go on some of the California forums here, you see many people asking if 150 K is "enough" to live on with 2 kids, and many of the replies are, "it might be tough, but you can do it". Makes my head spin! On the other hand, we have the "servant" class who cram into houses, and depend on, (and it's gladly given by our state) subsidies.

But I digress...

I do know that my "idea" would only make a dent. There are people who just don't care, and of course the degree of the problem is regional, (but that's changing too and quickly!)

Like you said, they are so embedded in the fabric of our factories like meat, poultry, heck, even dog food! One of my SOTB coworkers went to work for a dog food company in Utah!

So, here's a few things we've done to avoid "enabling"... but I must confess we have "cheated" every so often. (But less and less)

We live in a place quite small these days, so cleaning it ourselves is a piece of cake. Once in a while I used to hire a lady in our apartment complex when I was working extra hours, but that came to an end when she sent her mother who didn't speak a word of English and I found her standing on my dining room table with her dirty shoes to reach the ceiling fan. Haven't hired anyone since.

We go to a "do it yourself" car wash more often, and they're cheap! We only have a carport, so spending money on car washes are a waste anyway. They get dirty very quickly!

We eat at home now A LOT, especially now that I quit my job. (Man, I didn't realize how much money we were wasting going out too often, even "cheap" places!)

Truth be told, the last restaurant I worked became very lonely. I think I was one of the last workers standing who didn't speak Spanish. We used to have a policy that Spanish was not to be spoken by crew in "the front of the house" because a lot of our customers complained about hearing the loud Spanish chatter all the time. But the company gave up on that one.

Speaking of which... I'm really turned off now by restaurants where the crew is primarily Spanish speaking. We used to go to a fave restaurant in L.A. when we visited (we live in Orange County) and we loved that they had a lot of older American women who had been working there for years!

Well, I guess they've been dying off, because the last time we went it was a majority Spanish speaking crew and it's really sad and weird. The thing that annoyed me most, is that when we went, we sat at the counter and had to ask the server to ask the cook to fix something that was completely wrong. He did so with an attitude and then started speaking to a coworker in Spanish right in front of us and kept glancing our way, assuming we didn't know Spanish. (I can pick up a few words dude!) It was really obnoxious! Could have been innocent, but working restaurants, I KNOW when servers start mouthing off about a customer to each other! lol!

Confession, we LOVE Mexican food! We DO have our favorite hole in the wall Mexican restaurants and expect lots of Spanish, (I do draw the line at loud Mariachi music though, lol!)
I do NOT mind that there are people from south of the border who live here. I KNOW that many have family ties here that go back for generations. I do NOT mind, but rather LIKE "diversity". However, there are too many places in my opinion that are NOT diverse because of the numbers of Hispanics in some neighborhoods.

So mostly it's the out of control illegal immigration and a dysfunctional government and lack of will of our own citizens I'm frustrated with. BTW, the bureaucracy of the INS (or whatever they call it these days) is INSANE and hubby and I have first hand knowledge of this through our own experience when my husband came over legally from England. Trust me it's CRAZY!! One example... his being required to show up with a chest X-Ray in hand along with his visa to prove he didn't have TB! lol!! Yup, they were worried about one lone Englishman coming over here with a clean bill of health, while thousands upon thousands bypassed that little detail from the time when we first applied to the time he actually got his visa!

Ok, done rambling...

Old 12-20-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:

It doesn't matter how hard an illegal alien works. Nothing justifies their presence here. It is foolish to imply that Americans don't work just as hard or that they won't do certain jobs that illegals do either. It is simply not true.

If a Hispanic is speaking perfect English then they are more than likely a citizen of this country. Hispanics whether they be here legally or illegally don't hold the corner of the market on good work ethics either.

One of the problems with hiring illegal aliens is since many of them speak no English or very little the employer continues to hire only those who speak Spanish even those here legally so they can communicate with each other.

Yes, both their citizen children and those they bring here illegally are immersed in their parents culture and language so I laugh every time I hear that the ones they bring here illegally can't be sent back to their homeland because they don't know the culture and language of their native country.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Sadly it won't change. The government is turning a blind eye to this. In return they get revenue.
Tens of billions of dollars leave this country..money earned under the table and not reported.
Not being recirculated in the US but "sent home". Most Latin American countries depend on this money to keep their countries solvent.

It's not just the US though. Europe is also being invaded with poor, unskilled and barely educated third world people.
But at least ours are not coming from terrorist nations.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sadly it won't change. The government is turning a blind eye to this. In return they get revenue.
Tens of billions of dollars leave this country..money earned under the table and not reported.
Not being recirculated in the US but "sent home". Most Latin American countries depend on this money to keep their countries solvent.

It's not just the US though. Europe is also being invaded with poor, unskilled and barely educated third world people.
But at least ours are not coming from terrorist nations.
Is it not likely that terrorists are slipping right in along with illegal aliens? Even the FBI Director has stated that those from known terrorist countries have done so and disappeared into our country.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:18 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:

Not for what the illegals are willing to accept, if there is no illegals the wage will increase until someone takes the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration