U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-05-2008, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
1,742 posts, read 3,207,757 times
Reputation: 1339

Advertisements

In Hazleton, Pa., families started moving away after the city passed an illegal-immigrant law last summer, says Rudy Espinal, head of the Hazleton Hispanic Business Association. The law would fine landlords who rented to illegal immigrants and suspend the business licenses of companies that hired them. A companion measure would require tenants to register with the city and pay $10 for a rental permit.

A federal judge ruled the measures unconstitutional in July, but that hasn't stopped people moving away, he says.

"People are still leaving," Espinal says. "Some people have told me that they're leaving because they don't want their kids to grow up in an environment like this."

Hazleton Mayor Lou Barletta counters that some illegal immigrants who moved came back after the judge's decision, which the city is appealing. "I see a reversal," he says. "In a small city, it becomes obvious. … Schools are overcrowded and there are five-hour waits in the emergency room."

He says, "We don't want to chase immigrants away, just the illegal aliens who are causing many of the problem we are having."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2008, 08:59 AM
 
902 posts, read 535,440 times
Reputation: 184
Good!!! Keep up the good work Hazelton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2008, 10:54 PM
 
7 posts, read 25,306 times
Reputation: 11
i live her trust me there not moving away why do thet refuse to speak english my grandparents came from a different counrty i dont run around speaking galic or polish everyone is proud of where they came from you adapt to where you live trust me hazleton is not a latino city ENGLISH please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2008, 10:55 PM
 
Location: OC, CA
3,309 posts, read 5,122,327 times
Reputation: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzles50 View Post
i live her trust me there not moving away why do thet refuse to speak english my grandparents came from a different counrty i dont run around speaking galic or polish everyone is proud of where they came from you adapt to where you live trust me hazleton is not a latino city ENGLISH please
I dont get what your saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Over the Rainbow...
5,963 posts, read 10,727,591 times
Reputation: 3146
Default Mayor of Hazelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
In Hazleton, Pa., families started moving away after the city passed an illegal-immigrant law last summer, says Rudy Espinal, head of the Hazleton Hispanic Business Association. The law would fine landlords who rented to illegal immigrants and suspend the business licenses of companies that hired them. A companion measure would require tenants to register with the city and pay $10 for a rental permit.

A federal judge ruled the measures unconstitutional in July, but that hasn't stopped people moving away, he says.

"People are still leaving," Espinal says. "Some people have told me that they're leaving because they don't want their kids to grow up in an environment like this."

Hazleton Mayor Lou Barletta counters that some illegal immigrants who moved came back after the judge's decision, which the city is appealing. "I see a reversal," he says. "In a small city, it becomes obvious. … Schools are overcrowded and there are five-hour waits in the emergency room."

He says, "We don't want to chase immigrants away, just the illegal aliens who are causing many of the problem we are having."
I think your Mayor is awesome. I admire him for standing up for what he believes in and looking out for the interests of the residents in Hazelton. The Country could use alot more like him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 04:39 PM
 
Location: California
1,268 posts, read 862,757 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I think your Mayor is awesome. I admire him for standing up for what he believes in and looking out for the interests of the residents in Hazelton. The Country could use alot more like him.
You don't admire the mayor of L.A because he stands up for what he believes??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Metropolis
1,253 posts, read 3,343,060 times
Reputation: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
You don't admire the mayor of L.A because he stands up for what he believes??
It's just that the Mayor of Hazleton stands up for "Americans"! And the Law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2008, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Over the Rainbow...
5,963 posts, read 10,727,591 times
Reputation: 3146
Default Fire the L.A. Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
You don't admire the mayor of L.A because he stands up for what he believes??
LOL..good one. Actually I think the residents of L.A. should demand this guy be fired immediately!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2008, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Cookeville Tn.
177 posts, read 822,850 times
Reputation: 89
The law would fine landlords who rented to illegal immigrants and suspend the business licenses of companies that hired them.


THIS IS THE ONLY WAT TO DEAL WITH THIS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2008, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, North Carolina
1,213 posts, read 1,431,140 times
Reputation: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
In Hazleton, Pa., families started moving away after the city passed an illegal-immigrant law last summer, says Rudy Espinal, head of the Hazleton Hispanic Business Association. The law would fine landlords who rented to illegal immigrants and suspend the business licenses of companies that hired them. A companion measure would require tenants to register with the city and pay $10 for a rental permit.

A federal judge ruled the measures unconstitutional in July, but that hasn't stopped people moving away, he says.

"People are still leaving," Espinal says. "Some people have told me that they're leaving because they don't want their kids to grow up in an environment like this."

Hazleton Mayor Lou Barletta counters that some illegal immigrants who moved came back after the judge's decision, which the city is appealing. "I see a reversal," he says. "In a small city, it becomes obvious. … Schools are overcrowded and there are five-hour waits in the emergency room."

He says, "We don't want to chase immigrants away, just the illegal aliens who are causing many of the problem we are having."
Hazleton is putting up a valient effort but these tough on illegals laws apparently have to be passed at the state level to hold up. All the anti-American groups like the ACLU, SPLC, etc. file expensive lawsuits to overturn these tough on illegals laws which make it almost impossible for a city budget to pay for their legal defenses. If a state passes such laws it's a different matter. New laws in Arizona and Oklahoma have been very successful in causing a mass exodus of illegals from those states. These laws work! The Pa. legislature needs to get off their asses and pass these tough on illegals laws statewide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:18 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top