Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:06 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,661,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
If their social services and employment are taken away, don't you think it possible that they'll return on their own? No rounding up of deporting necessary, if you take away their incentives for being here, they will self deport costing us nothing. All we have to do is........oh yeah, enforce our existing laws.
No, they will not. They will stay here and find a way to survive. They know that Americans are kind hearted and soft and no matter what they do a certain amount of us cannot seperate kindness with the right thing to do.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:10 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
No, they will not. They will stay here and find a way to survive. They know that Americans are kind hearted and soft and no matter what they do a certain amount of us cannot seperate kindness with the right thing to do.
And a certain amount of us can separate out what is the right thing to do.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:13 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,366,854 times
Quote:
If their social services and employment are taken away, don't you think it possible that they'll return on their own?
Short answer, yes. Long answer, how will you take away their employment options? That is a big driver, not the social services but the money from employment. Do you know how much money is wired back to their home country? Just go to any carniceria in Southern California on a Friday to get a sampling of how much money is sent out.

When I was younger I knew a liquor store that would sell me and my friends liquor. Yes, I was underage, yes it was against the law, no the owner didn’t car. They made money. So you wont ever see ALL employers or even enough employers decide to not hire illegals or do a thorough review to make sure their employees are all legal. The less they can pay an illegal, the higher their profit margin.

Quote:
No rounding up of deporting necessary, if you take away their incentives for being here, they will self deport costing us nothing. All we have to do is........oh yeah, enforce our existing laws.
The problem I have with the “enforce our existing laws” is stupid legislatures of all the states and at the federal level just keep adding more and more laws to the kitty. Not enough law enforcement to enforce our ever changing, ever increasing, ever over-complicated laws.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:18 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,370,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
All those warm and fuzzies make life much less stressful as I don’t stay up at night worried about them illegals committing all those crimes…
Ah yes, apathy for murder,rape and child molestation victims. You must be proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madicarus2000 View Post
Yep, people of all races and citizenship status have bad apples. Heck, even US servicemen stationed overseas in non-war zones (Okinawa for example) have committed crimes including rape, murder, etc… No matter where you go there will always be bad people. They come in all kinds.

Every innocent death is an unfortunate death, but I wont fall into some trap to believe that every person who died as a result of the actions of an illegal immigrant would have led a happy and productive life and then die quietly in their sleep as a senior if it wasn’t for the illegal immigrant. People die, it’s a fact of life, some die tragically some die peacefully, just because you take one item out of the equation, the results are the same, some people will die tragically and some will die peacefully.
Boy this is hard for you to understand. Let me see if I can help you:

No illegals = no crimes comitted by illegals.

All crime victims at the hands of an illegal alien will be spared that trauma.

So let's recap. If there were no illegal aliens in our country, yes there would still be crimes commited by our citizens, however:

- X amount of murders by illegals would not happen.

- X amount of deaths caused by illegals who drink and drive will not happen.

- X amount of rapes by illegals will not happen.

- X amount of gang activity by illegals will not happen. \

and so on, and so on..........

Do you understand now? The tired argument of "our citizens commit crimes too" is irrelevant to the fact that if our country got rid of the illegals, then all the crimes commited by those illegals would not happen. And if your answer is "all people die anyway", then God help you.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Short answer, yes. Long answer, how will you take away their employment options? That is a big driver, not the social services but the money from employment. Do you know how much money is wired back to their home country? Just go to any carniceria in Southern California on a Friday to get a sampling of how much money is sent out.

When I was younger I knew a liquor store that would sell me and my friends liquor. Yes, I was underage, yes it was against the law, no the owner didn’t car. They made money. So you wont ever see ALL employers or even enough employers decide to not hire illegals or do a thorough review to make sure their employees are all legal. The less they can pay an illegal, the higher their profit margin.

The problem I have with the “enforce our existing laws” is stupid legislatures of all the states and at the federal level just keep adding more and more laws to the kitty. Not enough law enforcement to enforce our ever changing, ever increasing, ever over-complicated laws.
No doubt, it will be impossible if the govenment doesn't step up. Firm and consistent punishment for those who hire illegals, enough to where companies know it's not worth the risk. What we have now is a government who is like a parent who threatens and never acts. " If you don't stop you're going to get a spanking", but it never happens. So the child, aka the illegals and their employers, know that as of right now nothing's going to happen to them, so they will continue their behavior until our government shows them both that it means business. If an illegal knows he is facing severe consquences for being in this country illegally and that our gobernment will ACT, then they're more likely not to risk it. Same goes for those who hire illegals. But the ones to blame the most are the government who has allowed this and has done nothing. My only hope is that the voices of Americans upest by this are heard, and sadly enough, with elections coming up they will finally listen, although if Americans weren't speaking up, it wouldn't be an issue and they would continue to do nothing. It angers me that it takes just short of a civil uprising for these people to think "hey, maybe we should do something about this".

Old 01-07-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Ah yes, apathy for murder,rape and child molestation victims. You must be proud.
Yes, I am apathetic of what happens elsewhere and unconcerned about criminals and crimes elsewhere, I’m more focused locally where I know I can make an affect and protect my family and improve my city. Thanks for noticing.

Quote:
No illegals = no crimes comitted by illegals..
Love the simple math. I’ll never get why some people just fall into a simple trap of looking at simple conclusions but cannot actually understand the complexities of the equations.

Can you answer this question and please take the time to read and see what I’m stating before you respond, yes, if an illegal immigrant who committed a crime was not here, then the crime would not have been committed, how do you go about actually removing 12-20 million illegal immigrants? Or is it just as simple as get the army to come in and “round up” all illegals? And how do you determine just who is an illegal by looking at them? What do “they” look like? Do they have beards?

Old 01-08-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Yes, I am apathetic of what happens elsewhere and unconcerned about criminals and crimes elsewhere, I’m more focused locally where I know I can make an affect and protect my family and improve my city. Thanks for noticing.

Love the simple math. I’ll never get why some people just fall into a simple trap of looking at simple conclusions but cannot actually understand the complexities of the equations.

Can you answer this question and please take the time to read and see what I’m stating before you respond, yes, if an illegal immigrant who committed a crime was not here, then the crime would not have been committed, how do you go about actually removing 12-20 million illegal immigrants? Or is it just as simple as get the army to come in and “round up” all illegals? And how do you determine just who is an illegal by looking at them? What do “they” look like? Do they have beards?
I thought I covered that a few posts ago. If the government steps up, does their job, enforces severe penalties on those who hire illegals, then companies will stop risking themselves to hire illegal labor. Also, if social services were denied, then they would have nothing to justify coming or staying here. If the illegals here cannot work, and cannot receive government benefits, then why would they stay here? Logic tells me they would go home, not stay here unemployed and unable to receive welfare or health care.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:18 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
I can think of many of the same reasons why they should leave too, but it's unrealistic to think you can quickly and easily just round up 12-20 million illegal immigrants. That's the point that is missed.

Back to the topic, DUI, bad no matter what citizenship status, race, age, gender, or political affiliation.
This I will say:

If 80-90% of the illegal immigrants along with their Anchor Babies (the latter would be allowed back @ age 18 barring a change in that law) were to self deport; I strongly suspect that the anger against the above would diminish significantly-------provided those few illegals left flew well under the radar.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
This I will say:

If 80-90% of the illegal immigrants along with their Anchor Babies (the latter would be allowed back @ age 18 barring a change in that law) were to self deport; I strongly suspect that the anger against the above would diminish significantly-------provided those few illegals left flew well under the radar.
My belief is that thinking they will all self-deport is as absurd as believing our government has the actual resources and abilities to enforce the immigration laws to remove even 10% of the illegals. Stopping it at the border is more realistic, after all, you can pretty clearly identify that a person running across the border more than likely is not a legal citizen. However walk around the street in Anytown USA and point out with the same accuracy who is legal.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I thought I covered that a few posts ago. If the government steps up, does their job, enforces severe penalties on those who hire illegals, then companies will stop risking themselves to hire illegal labor. Also, if social services were denied, then they would have nothing to justify coming or staying here. If the illegals here cannot work, and cannot receive government benefits, then why would they stay here? Logic tells me they would go home, not stay here unemployed and unable to receive welfare or health care.
That’s a too big an “if” to ever happen. It’s easy to write out the simple solution on paper, it’s harder to actually implement it.

I could say IF people stop speeding, then you would end the number of speed related deaths. Problem solved. How do we go about doing it? Add more police? Will that end it? Targeted enforcement? Will that stop it all? What about putting computer chips in cars that can “read” speed limits and then limit the cars maximum speed? Would it also know that the weather is bad and not to speed? Or that there is traffic and speeding is bad too?

Solutions are simple, actually implementing them is the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.