U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 06:46 PM

31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Then please let us know whenever this mythical presidential candidate appears on the Right, that y'all can finally 'embrace'. And even in the unlikely event such a candidate ever does show up, you can bet it's all just "talk", 'cuz unfortunately the GOP has at least as much of a vested intere$t in perpetuating the current 'system' as any so-called "lefties".

IMHO, the GOP is gonna treat "immigration" the same way that Reagan did with abortion… which is basically to make all the right "noises", but whenever elected, to really change nothing (which means their core 'constituency', aka the "base", will just get 'played' all over again)!
If you're not ok with either party thumbing their noses at our immigration laws for votes then how about saying so? Why be sarcastic instead and repeat what we already know about the corruption in our government? Why not join the fight to toss out these traitors? The more Americans that join the fight the more we will achieve. I'd be glad to steer you in the right direction to join organizations that are doing just that. How about it? Are you up for the cause to put respect back into our immigration laws? And no, it is not a lost cause in case that was going to be your reply. There is power in numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 06:49 PM

3,886 posts, read 5,995,057 times
Quote:
Then please let us know whenever this mythical presidential candidate appears on the Right, that y'all can finally 'embrace'. And even in the unlikely event such a candidate ever does show up, you can bet it's all just "talk", 'cuz unfortunately the GOP has at least as much of a vested intere$t in perpetuating the current 'system' as any so-called "lefties".

IMHO, the GOP is gonna treat "immigration" the same way that Reagan did with abortion… which is basically to make all the right "noises", but whenever elected, to really change nothing (which means their core 'constituency', aka the "base", will just get 'played' all over again)!
I've said it numerous times and I'll say it again. This immigration mess is kind of like a broken pipe in your home. You can get all the necessary things to fix it but before you can work on that "broken pipe" you have to shut off the "main valve", meaning the Border!!!

Old 01-30-2015, 06:52 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,441,833 times
mateo45"IMHO, the GOP is gonna treat "immigration" the same way that Reagan did with abortion… which is basically to make all the right "noises", but whenever elected, to really change nothing (which means their core 'constituency', aka the "base", will just get 'played' all over again)!"

If they can win the WH, it will require ignoring their base. Winning Tn by 6 or 16 = same electoral votes, so if losing that 10% adds 5-10% more in Blue Wall states and flips 1 or more..it's a net gain.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:13 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,271,003 times
^ Good analysis, although hard to imagine any serious GOP candidate running without throwing out the occasional "red meat" as Romney often attempted to do. And when it gets down to it, they'd still need to come up with a viable platform that isn't basically just some 'watered-down' version of the "bases" "reactionary" agenda that seems to dominate so much of the GOP these days, 'mainstream' or otherwise.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:47 PM

5,832 posts, read 3,302,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I'm sure that you have your reasons. But, is it amnesty? Because I don't hear any real solutions. To say that we should deport them all: it sounds good, but it is not feasible. Most Americans want to stop the flood of illegals, and secure the border. If new illegals are not allowed then things will gradually get better. If current illegals come out of hiding, or commit crimes then they will face punishment. What is your solution?
e-verify first of all

Old 01-30-2015, 08:22 PM

11,501 posts, read 5,511,317 times
I'm half Hispanic and find it very insulting to have politicians think that they have to pander to me with promises of amnesty for illegals in order to get my vote. Hispanics are not a monolith that marches in lockstep with La Raza.

When you look at the big picture, the Hispanic votes doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Last presidential election, it represented 10% of all voters. And not all of those 10% voted democrat either.

No politician, on either side of the aisle, should ever pander to lawbreakers.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I'm half Hispanic and find it very insulting to have politicians think that they have to pander to me with promises of amnesty for illegals in order to get my vote. Hispanics are not a monolith that marches in lockstep with La Raza.

When you look at the big picture, the Hispanic votes doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Last presidential election, it represented 10% of all voters. And not all of those 10% voted democrat either.

No politician, on either side of the aisle, should ever pander to lawbreakers.
Don't worry, it's unlikely that "half-Puerto Ricans" are the particular 'hispanics' they're trying to "pander" to!

Mexican Americans comprise 64.1% of all Hispanics

Old 01-31-2015, 07:39 AM

^ ^ Well even if we were to agree, in fairness you've yet to answer my question, by naming any of these mysterious "candidates" on the Right, who you actually agree with (and who have even the slightest chance of being elected)? Otherwise all this complaining just remains a childish fantasy, kinda like Goldilocks and the Three Bears… "this one is too hot, this one is too cold…!"

That said, it's clear that y'all are gonna wind up with the Jebster as the GOP frontrunner, and then what the heck are 'ya gonna do, support some unelectable "3rd party" candidate? Or maybe just sit this one out while we 'lefties' elect "Hillary"… who I personally detest BTW, but as a couple geezers, we both should know by now that much of life is about making the best of whatever 'ya got!

Old 01-31-2015, 08:06 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
^ Good analysis, although hard to imagine any serious GOP candidate running without throwing out the occasional "red meat" as Romney often attempted to do. And when it gets down to it, they'd still need to come up with a viable platform that isn't basically just some 'watered-down' version of the "bases" "reactionary" agenda that seems to dominate so much of the GOP these days, 'mainstream' or otherwise.
Uh; the "base" in 2015, BOTH Den and Repub, want illegal aliens GONE. Just looking at the comments sections on Yahoo, MSNBC about illegal immigration and so on makes it quite clear.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:12 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Don't worry, it's unlikely that "half-Puerto Ricans" are the particular 'hispanics' they're trying to "pander" to!

Mexican Americans comprise 64.1% of all Hispanics
"Hispanic" is NOT a "race"! Sheesh. Nice try with your "race card" there. I talked with a white Latina from Spain; blond hair and blue eyes, her daughter LOOKS like a Swede but is MORE "Latina" in culture than many "Mexican" looking people of Yaqui Indian people who've been in the US for over a 100 years but don't speak Spanish at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration