Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 05:49 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Black unemployment is quite high. Why doesn't Obama care about their job opportunities? Most blacks do not speak Spanish. It is negatively impacting whites and other Americans who don't speak Spanish either. If the left are truly the champions of the poor then that is quite hypocritical, isn't it?
That's what I don't get, why aren't black leaders speaking out against it? illegals hurt the poor blacks and their prospects. The left only cares about the poor if they think it'll benefit them and apparently they think the illegals will. After all, the thinking is blacks will vote Democrat no matter what but the illegals may not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 06:00 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
That's what I don't get, why aren't black leaders speaking out against it? illegals hurt the poor blacks and their prospects. The left only cares about the poor if they think it'll benefit them and apparently they think the illegals will. After all, the thinking is blacks will vote Democrat no matter what but the illegals may not.
Although there is enough evidence to support that some illegals do vote the Democrats are mostly pandering for the Hispanic citizen vote. As you said, blacks majorily vote Democrat no matter what but Hispanics have threatened to withhold their votes unless one supports amnesty. The Democrats happily accommodate them. What is disheartening is seeing some in the GOP doing the same now.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:13 PM

Because the left makes everything a race issue.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:46 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownlifestyle View Post
A lot of people believe that illegal immigration does not affect them in anyway. I'm sure that this is true for some people, but I feel, every single day, the hardship of living in a town with lots of illegal immigrants.

I work in customer service and constantly find that I am standing around, absolutely useless, because our store is full of non-english-speaking customers. I can't find a better paying job because employers can hire someone bilingual and pay them the same amount of money - so why the hell would they hire me?

Very few people are ever encouraging; they basically tell me to conform and learn Spanish. Why should I learn a language I don't have any cares for?

Do you feel like illegal immigration affects you? Why do you think so many people feel unaffected by it?
I understand where you are coming from on the forced Spanish issue. In my review it was highly recommended to learn Spanish to communicate with my employees . In reality these same employees being "Citizens" on paper have will no assimilate in American culture.

Yes I am learning, but Spanish comes out more Red Neck and Spanish people know I speak, but not with the Passion for English. I sorry, I regard Spanish as 3rd World!

That being said Spanish (as Portuguese was in my Family) has been lost by future Gens. there is no left to speak it.

New Americans, speak Spanish and when the word "Americano" comes up one is not sure if they are being rude.

In France, guess what? French is the only "official Lang."

We must speak English because we speak in English in every State of the Union for Official Business. We spend billions of dollars in translated forms from Spanish to Portuguese at the DMV.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I live in coastal MD, far from any border and at least 3 hours from the nearest international airport and I feel the effects of it here. More and more every year.

As far as learning Spanish, I grew up outside of DC and deliberately did the bare minimum so I could pass my foreign language class with a D. I thought, why do I need to learn this crap? This is MD, the USA. Then years later I started working on boats that took me all over into Latin America and the Caribbean. Go figure. Now I speak Spanish and keep current on it. Do I need it where I'm at now? NO. As far as the illegals are concerned here, I have nothing to say to them. If they can't communicate with us, then maybe that's a step of them to feel unwelcome here and GTFO ASAP.

Now as far as me intending to move back to FL. Speaking Spanish and being bilingual will only help in my search for work. I think it's a good thing to have. I change my tune in a place where there are a lot of legal residents and tourists who might understand things a little better in their language. Of course I think that way because I had spent a long time in assorted Spanish speaking country's in touristy locations. I, like many other gringos, learned the language as best I could but all us gringo's still spoke to each other in English. When I needed to get things done in town it was a lot easier when dealing with a local who learned English in school. As soon as it was mutually determined that who I was dealing with spoke better English then my Spanish, we'd communicate in English. So I have been on the other side as well.

If it will help you with pay and job advancement, suck it up and learn it. Now I still have my strong stance against illegals but the language thing I'm all for knowing another language and wish I paid more attention in school.
Its Still is not right.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:04 PM

Unhappy One More Point!

As I begin to understand words in Spanish, I noticed that the chatter drops down, because I know kind a what they are saying. Tis goes with tone as well, so in the end they will Speak English, just to keep us Gringos out of the loop.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:44 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,638 times
BAD NEWS:

Chinese are now being granted 10 year tourist visas (it used to be 1). Considering Chinese are notorious for coming into the country to have "anchor babies", this is not good news.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
BAD NEWS:

Chinese are now being granted 10 year tourist visas (it used to be 1). Considering Chinese are notorious for coming into the country to have "anchor babies", this is not good news.
That is bad, but how many end up using welfare? If a lot then it's a problem, but if not it opens the door to looking at automatic citizenship.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:47 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Its Still is not right.
I don't pander to the illegals at all and can't stand it that a lot of Spanish speakers refuse to assimilate to our language and culture. However, it's just that since I have spent a lot of time in Spanish speaking country's as a Gringo I can deal with it in touristy areas because that has been me, in reverse, when in those country's.

Where I have lived in S. FL there are 3 international airports within 60 miles with countless flights arriving daily from assorted Latin American country's and there is another a few hours up the turnpike. When it comes to tourists arriving I don't expect the average one to be quite fluent in English (Such as me not being totally fluent in Spanish when I'm playing tourist in those country's). So personally, I'll keep up on my Spanish as it will only help with my job search when I return to FL.

Now, as far as where I am now, as well as other rural parts off the beaten path from the traditional international tourist spots oh well! Those around here better learn English. Sorry but any Mexican or Central American around here who try's to speak to me in Spanish gets the ol nod and smile as I say "me no speeka Espanish". Now if one speaks to me in broken English I will probably reply in "tarzan speak" Spanish so I can keep in practice.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
BAD NEWS:

When did we change the rules for our China enemies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration