U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 02:26 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,866,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Thanks for posting this since some claim they aren't aware of what language is required to get hired on many jobs in this country and the ridiculous reasons for it. Yes, I also agree that if one is in the tourist industry or deals with foreign countries on the job (although English is the language of business across the world) then learning foreign languages makes sense.
This being bilingual problem is a problem in Illinois, though it is everywhere. I put in "bilingual" in the search part of Craigslist and got hundreds of hits. Most were low paying jobs like healthcare workers and many social agencies. No one should have to speak Spanish to work at public aid or any social agency or even jobs like factory jobs. Not only does this prevent our low skilled from taking these jobs, it also of course means taxpayers are paying more to illegals with nothing in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 03:25 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,455,130 times
OP"People expect me to learn a language that I have no emotional ties to."

Nonsense. I'm had suit and tie jobs, and hate wearing them. That is no different. I'm a firm believer in allowing the buyer (employer) to set the specifications for every job, short of it excluding folks based on EEOC charactertics they did not choose.

You chose not to be bilingual, you have no valid complaint of employers when they require being bilingual as they see fit.

Don't like it. Start your own corporation.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:31 PM

31,696 posts, read 14,614,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
This being bilingual problem is a problem in Illinois, though it is everywhere. I put in "bilingual" in the search part of Craigslist and got hundreds of hits. Most were low paying jobs like healthcare workers and many social agencies. No one should have to speak Spanish to work at public aid or any social agency or even jobs like factory jobs. Not only does this prevent our low skilled from taking these jobs, it also of course means taxpayers are paying more to illegals with nothing in return.
We have many people in this country who speak another language as their primary one. I don't see any nationwide requirements that one be able to speak Mandarin, Italian, German, etc. in order to get hired for a job in this country. There may be a few exceptions but it isn't the norm. The government jobs usually pay pretty well with benefits but if you don't know Spanish you can't get them. It can't be because of Hispanic-Americans because most know English. We all know what this is all about and it is pandering to those here illegally in the largest numbers. We don't pander to any other group in that manner who are here legally and haven't learned English yet.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
OP"People expect me to learn a language that I have no emotional ties to."

Nonsense. I'm had suit and tie jobs, and hate wearing them. That is no different. I'm a firm believer in allowing the buyer (employer) to set the specifications for every job, short of it excluding folks based on EEOC charactertics they did not choose.

You chose not to be bilingual, you have no valid complaint of employers when they require being bilingual as they see fit.

Don't like it. Start your own corporation.
But why should one have to learn Spanish to cater to someone? I get if they deal with other countries or tourism but not welfare. This reminded me of a company near me that requires French speakers. The reason is they deal with many French speakers in Quebec and it makes it easier. This makes sense. Ironically, I once interviewed at a company with their headquarters in Amsterdam. I asked if I needed to know Dutch and she said no because they are almost all fluent to some extent in English.

Last edited by Idon'tdateyou; 01-26-2015 at 03:46 PM..

Old 01-26-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We have many people in this country who speak another language as their primary one. I don't see any nationwide requirements that one be able to speak Mandarin, Italian, German, etc. in order to get hired for a job in this country. There may be a few exceptions but it isn't the norm. The government jobs usually pay pretty well with benefits but if you don't know Spanish you can't get them. It can't be because of Hispanic-Americans because most know English. We all know what this is all about and it is pandering to those here illegally in the largest numbers. We don't pander to any other group in that manner who are here legally and haven't learned English yet.
Exactly, we know that the people we are getting are barely literate in their language and will likely never learn English. We all know that they will likely depend on welfare. Because they are a huge percentage the powers that be decided that those who work in public aid and other social agencies should know Spanish so these people receive welfare they don't deserve and only get from their kids. Every so often I see requests for other languages but it's usually because that company deals with people of that ethnic group, often in other countries. I never see welfare jobs requesting other languages like Hindi or Chinese.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:47 PM

31,696 posts, read 14,614,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
But why should one have to learn Spanish to cater to someone? I get if they deal with other countries or tourism but not welfare. This reminded me of a company near me that requires French speakers. The reason is they deal with many French speakers in Quebec and it makes it easier. This makes sense. Ironically, I once interviewed at a company with their headquarters in Amsterdam. I asked if I needed to know Dutch and she said no because they are almost all fluent to some extent in English.
Well, unfortunately with many businesses all they care about is their bottom line. They'd sell their mothers if it meant another buck for them as an analogy. Profit trumps patriotism also. They don't care that their discriminatory hiring practices decreases job opportunities for native English speaking Americans. With our government's lack of enforcement of our immigration laws, employers getting away with hiring illegal aliens, businesses catering to them and the promise of amnesty for them instead I have a very negative outlook for our country's future.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:01 PM

IDon'tDateYou"But why should one have to learn Spanish to cater to someone?"

Employees always cater to employers. Employers set the terms of the skill sets they wish to purchase.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:17 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,768,733 times
Quote:
IDon'tDateYou"But why should one have to learn Spanish to cater to someone?"

Employees always cater to employers. Employers set the terms of the skill sets they wish to purchase.
These particular employers are catering to the Hispanic community. Many people object to their lack of assimilation and the accompanying costs involved.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:20 PM

These employers are smart businessmen and women, catering as all businesses should, to generating profits.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:26 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,768,733 times
Quote:
These employers are smart businessmen and women, catering as all businesses should, to generating profits.
I agree with making a profit. But there should be no surprise when catering to illiterate illegals is commented on with disgust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or