Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 03:08 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,360 times

Advertisements

Do you ever feel like you are being run out of your own neighborhoods ? I ask this because 20 years ago my side of town was a pretty, albeit working poor area. I was able to get a job almost anywhere (which is important because I don't have a car and need to work close to home) and was treated relatively humanely at said job.

Today this area is overrun by hispanics, both legal and illegal. And you know what ? If things hadn't changed for the negative I wouldn't mind a single bit who I live next to. But things HAVE changed.

This area is now a cesspool. Trash litters the sidewalks, I have seen hispanics toss fast food trash out their cars without a care in the world. Neighbors have LOUD parties with giant extended families and these go on into the wee hours with the police doing nothing.

Also with regards to jobs, I find that it's harder and harder in this area to find work. Hispanic businesses are free to discriminate against the white man, but if a white business tried this there would be lawsuits.

My last job in this area was at a McDonalds (Yeh...I know..but it was the only thing I could find after graduating culinary school in this area). I felt that the standards of what was expected from me as an employee had changed with the influx of hispanics. Not only was I expected to keep my head down and mouth shut like the hispanics (they seem to subsribe easily to the human rights are left at the factory gates which historically Americans do NOT and emphatically speak up against injustice)....I also wasn't allowed to get away with the same things I saw the hispanics getting away with.

A couple examples would be Hispanic co-workers standing around chatting/gossiping in Spanish. I may not speak spanish but I can glean the difference between work-talk and idle chit chat.

Nothing would ever be said to them, but when I and another white co-worker dared to exchange a couple of sentences to each other we were chastised for it.

Also, we would get in trouble for slow "window" times, but hispanic workers who worked the drive-through had even longer times because they would have to repeat themselves in order to be understood by customers.

It almost feels like white people in my neighborhood are the "new" blacks of the old south. We feel discriminated against, and feel that we can get zero fair treatment by businesses in this area anymore. It's not the same idea as "White flight" wherein people will leave simply because they don't want to live next to "those people", It's more on the order of we literally feel as if we are being shoved out.

Is anybody else feeling this way ?

Old 01-25-2012, 04:08 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Do you ever feel like you are being run out of your own neighborhoods ? I ask this because 20 years ago my side of town was a pretty, albeit working poor area. I was able to get a job almost anywhere (which is important because I don't have a car and need to work close to home) and was treated relatively humanely at said job.

Today this area is overrun by hispanics, both legal and illegal. And you know what ? If things hadn't changed for the negative I wouldn't mind a single bit who I live next to. But things HAVE changed.

This area is now a cesspool. Trash litters the sidewalks, I have seen hispanics toss fast food trash out their cars without a care in the world. Neighbors have LOUD parties with giant extended families and these go on into the wee hours with the police doing nothing.

Also with regards to jobs, I find that it's harder and harder in this area to find work. Hispanic businesses are free to discriminate against the white man, but if a white business tried this there would be lawsuits.

My last job in this area was at a McDonalds (Yeh...I know..but it was the only thing I could find after graduating culinary school in this area). I felt that the standards of what was expected from me as an employee had changed with the influx of hispanics. Not only was I expected to keep my head down and mouth shut like the hispanics (they seem to subsribe easily to the human rights are left at the factory gates which historically Americans do NOT and emphatically speak up against injustice)....I also wasn't allowed to get away with the same things I saw the hispanics getting away with.

A couple examples would be Hispanic co-workers standing around chatting/gossiping in Spanish. I may not speak spanish but I can glean the difference between work-talk and idle chit chat.

Nothing would ever be said to them, but when I and another white co-worker dared to exchange a couple of sentences to each other we were chastised for it.

Also, we would get in trouble for slow "window" times, but hispanic workers who worked the drive-through had even longer times because they would have to repeat themselves in order to be understood by customers.

It almost feels like white people in my neighborhood are the "new" blacks of the old south. We feel discriminated against, and feel that we can get zero fair treatment by businesses in this area anymore. It's not the same idea as "White flight" wherein people will leave simply because they don't want to live next to "those people", It's more on the order of we literally feel as if we are being shoved out.

All I can say is that I have experienced/witnessed some of what you have said. My objection is mostly to the illegal alien kind but I have also witnessed discrimination in the workplace based on special treatment for their ethnic group here legally. Management didn't want to be called racists so they allowed them to bend the rules. I could go into more detail and provide examples but it wouldn't be an illegal immigration topic then.

This is just one more argument though against too much immigration both legal and illegal from one ethnic group. Empowerment in numbers, pandering and non-assimilation take center stage.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:15 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...This is just one more argument though against too much immigration both legal and illegal from one ethnic group. Empowerment in numbers, pandering and non-assimilation take center stage.
And this was never a problem with Whites in a majority?...

Old 01-26-2012, 01:29 AM

387 posts, read 591,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post

Instead of complaining about immigrants why don't you get a college degree Unemployment for college graduates is very low when someone from Third world with a college degree can get a six figure salary so can you

Old 01-26-2012, 02:20 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Culinary school IS a degree. Also, a college degree is not the answer, if it ever was, to finding a job. This country needs people of all skill levels and there are too many with higher degrees all competing and not able to get jobs. ILLEGAL immigrants don't have the right to work in this country--getting them back to their own countries would open up more jobs for Americans. Yes, the LEGAL residents do put some pressure on the jog market too but we have to accept that. They, at least, are legal and can move onto better jobs.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:26 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrs99 View Post
Instead of complaining about immigrants why don't you get a college degree Unemployment for college graduates is very low when someone from Third world with a college degree can get a six figure salary so can you
Tell that to the those graduating or have graduated who can't find a job.

Are you saying that someone coming from a third world country with a third world country degree gets a 6 figure job when they arrive in the US??

Old 01-26-2012, 02:34 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
And this was never a problem with Whites in a majority?...
During WW1 and WW2 immigration dropped off which allowed the various European immigrants Poles, Italians, Greeks, French and others to assimilate at a quicker rate.

The Europeans spoke several different languages also, Mexicans, Central and South Americans primarily speak Spanish.

Mexico's proximity to the US makes it far easier to immigrate Illegally in larger numbers at a more continuous rate.

That's the difference.
BTW Italians and Irish also suffered from discrimination and those 2 groups generally came here LEGALLY.
Sacco and Vanzetti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Italian American internment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Irish Immigrants
Immigration

As you were saying ?

Old 01-26-2012, 02:38 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
Hispanic does not equal illegal. This is not the proper forum if you want to discuss race/ethnicity.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration