Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:17 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
The Constitution allows states to let immigrants vote in local elections;

....the Supreme Court has upheld states rights to permit noncitizens to vote.

DEMOCRACY FOR ALL

Voter Issue | Protect My Vote (http://protectmyvote.org/voterissues4.php - broken link)

The Language Minority Provisions of the Voting Rights Act

Language Minority Voting Rights

CIUDADANOS QUE HABLAN IDIOMAS MINORITARIOS

Chinese

Japanese

Korean

Vietnamese

Tagalog

To file a voting complaint with the Department of Justice, write to:

U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division
Voting Rights Section
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530
(202) 514-4609
Fax: (202) 307-3961
TTY: (202) 514-0716
Civil Rights Division - Home Page
TEXAS does NOT allow illegals to vote...and if you are wondering how I know, it's because I called and asked...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 06:23 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Despite your attempted personal attack claiming I posted any falsehood, the term "illegal alien" is nowhere to be found in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), which is the U.S. federal immigration statute.

Please post a direct link to the official government website then.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:26 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,047,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Please post a direct link to the official government website then.
You can google Title 8 of the US code. You'll find all the direct links you need.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
So, you would help someone who is not here legally, to find a way to vote, even though that is a right which shold be reserved for citizens?

Note: CITIZENS, not immigrants here on visa, or in a legal manner. CITIZENS ONLY!
Address what I did say, and not something I didn't say, and you might get another response.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
110th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. CON. RES. 119
Expressing the sense of the Congress that the President should immediately and unequivocally call for the enforcement of existing immigration laws in order to reduce the threat of a terrorist attack and to reduce the massive influx of illegal aliens into the United States.
A proposed resolution's language is not often couched in legal terminology, that's why any 'law' passed by Congress is reviewed and amended before being written into any of our Codes.

Again, the term "illegal alien" is nowhere to be found in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), which is where you will find legal terminology written into the U.S. relevant federal immigration statutes.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Who are we kidding here folks, its just someone who really believes that illegals have rights when they do not.

No non citizen should have any bearing on the decisions made in ones country.

It was this type that forced us to be nice and call them aliens and not immigrants, now they are trying to find a way to give them rights by calling them something they are not.

The headline is misleading and should have read ILLEGALS have voting rights so, with that said the OP was either misleading people who trying to stir the pot. What the OP found is that there are many very intelligent people here that can break that down to be proven wrong.
I'll point out once again that the forum is called the immigration forum, where better to post a thread pertaining to immigrants.

Not all immigrants are illegal, so I feel no need to brand them all as such.

The headline shouldn't read illegals have voting rights, the headline is correct as it stands.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:38 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
You can google Title 8 of the US code. You'll find all the direct links you need.
You 'accuse' me of using an inaccurate phrase; it is your responsibility to prove me wrong.

Till you supply the official gov't link; I will continue to say illegal immigrant.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You 'accuse' me of using an inaccurate phrase; it is your responsibility to prove me wrong.

Till you supply the official gov't link; I will continue to say illegal immigrant.
I made no such personal accusation, I said I don't use an inaccurate term to describe whole classes of people when it's not legally descriptive in the legal sense of the term.

One can say illegal immigrant all they want, whenever they want, and in any situation they want.

That won't mean that they are using the term correctly in all cases, but that's not any of my concern.

People every day say things that may be inaccurate, they can do as they please as far as finding out if they are correctly stating their case.

It might be that they'd communicate more effectively if they used proper terminology, but I figure they can learn that lesson from their own trial and error.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
TEXAS does NOT allow illegals to vote...and if you are wondering how I know, it's because I called and asked...
Constitution of the State of Texas (1876)

Article II. Suffrage - SEC. 2. Every male person subject to none of the foregoing disqualifications, who shall have attained the age of twenty-one years, and who shall be a citizen of the United States, and who shall have resided in this State one year next preceding an election, and the last six months within the district or county in which he offers to vote, shall be deemed a qualified elector; and every male person of foreign birth, subject to none of the foregoing disqualifications, who, at any time before an election, shall have declared his intention to become a citizen of the United States, in accordance with the federal naturalization laws, and shall have resided in this State one year next preceding such election, and the last six months in the county in which he offers to vote, shall also be deemed a qualified elector; and all electors shall vote in the election precinct of their residence; provided, that electors living in any unorganized county, may vote at any election precinct in the county to which such county is attached, for judicial purposes.

In 1921 the Texas constitution was amended to provide for woman suffrage, but it also required United States citizenship as a voter qualification, thus disqualifying aliens, who had been permitted to vote since 1869.

Then again, there is currently new legislation pending in the Texas legislature, so it may be that it's not yet been completely settled, else why the need for more legislation? ...

Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,342,655 times
ANYONE who "sneaks" across the border to gain entry into the U.S. is an illegal... you can spew all your "politically correct" nonsense about what "they" should be called... they are illegal aliens, non-Americans, not of the USA, who cares what you call them,, as long as "we" (Americans) don't have to keep paying for them.. I don't care if ya call them sweethearts. Those "sweethearts" are illegals, criminals, who are bleeding America dry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration