U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-12-2015, 09:03 AM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,176,653 times
Reputation: 11578

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I've never thought just because someone is speaking Spanish that they are here illegally. I just wonder why if they are citizens why they choose to do so rather than speaking English but that's a different topic from illegal immigration so let's not let the flames begin on this one again.
There is no reason why anyone should be forced to speak a language that isn't their own when they are with their family. And, this is an illegal immigration issue, people like Jess5 made it into one.

 
Old 02-12-2015, 09:36 AM
 
31,873 posts, read 14,670,439 times
Reputation: 8490
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There is no reason why anyone should be forced to speak a language that isn't their own when they are with their family. And, this is an illegal immigration issue, people like Jess5 made it into one.
It's not about "force".
 
Old 02-12-2015, 10:27 AM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,176,653 times
Reputation: 11578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's not about "force".
Wanting to stigmatize speaking anything other than English is also the same as force. In this case, the force of humiliation and shame.
 
Old 02-12-2015, 11:33 AM
 
Location: North Texas
23,627 posts, read 31,255,367 times
Reputation: 26701
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Oh really? What if you're like my family who speak Spanish in public amongst ourselves? Think we're illegal aliens too? Sheesh! You DO realize that there are millions of natural born US citizens, called Puerto Ricans, who speak Spanish as a native language? Not everyone with brown skin or "funny looking eyes" is a potential illegal immigrant
I can tell Puerto Ricans apart just by their accents.

So no, I wouldn't assume people speaking Spanish with a Puerto Rican accent were illegals since Puerto Ricans are actually US nationals.
 
Old 02-12-2015, 12:48 PM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,176,653 times
Reputation: 11578
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I can tell Puerto Ricans apart just by their accents.

So no, I wouldn't assume people speaking Spanish with a Puerto Rican accent were illegals since Puerto Ricans are actually US nationals.
Not everyone can, BigDGeek. That'd what I'm trying to say. Most people look at me and wouldn't know at all I look or sound Puerto Rican, even though I was born and raised there.
 
Old 02-12-2015, 12:52 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,627 posts, read 31,255,367 times
Reputation: 26701
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Not everyone can, BigDGeek. That'd what I'm trying to say. Most people look at me and wouldn't know at all I look or sound Puerto Rican, even though I was born and raised there.
I guess that's an advantage of being born and raised in Texas. Most of the Spanish you hear here...if it's not flat-out Spanglish from 2nd-3rd generation immigrants...is Mexican Spanish. Yes, I know the accent varies from region to region in Mexico, but I honestly can't tell those accents apart. I know what Mexican Spanish sounds like, and when I hear Spanish that isn't Mexican-sounding, it gets my attention.

I will also admit that I often cannot distinguish between a Cuban and a Puerto Rican accent. They sound very similar to me.

I can usually nail a Venezuelan at 20 paces and Argentinians are easy to identify...but I can't tell a Chilean accent from a Peruvian one. I just don't hear them often enough.
 
Old 02-12-2015, 05:02 PM
 
11,574 posts, read 5,549,843 times
Reputation: 9906
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Wanting to stigmatize speaking anything other than English is also the same as force. In this case, the force of humiliation and shame.
Why would anyone allow some ignorant stranger to make them feel "humiliation and shame"? Why would anyone give a complete stranger such power over themselves?

I was on the opposite end of this as a teen living in PR in the early 70s when the anti-English sentiment was strong. Sure, I got dirty looks and less-than-stellar treatment due to my less-than-perfect Spanish. So what? Some people are bigots and you can't change them. Just move on.
 
Old 02-12-2015, 05:05 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,326,175 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Why would anyone allow some ignorant stranger to make them feel "humiliation and shame"? Why would anyone give a complete stranger such power over themselves?

I was on the opposite end of this as a teen living in PR in the early 70s when the anti-English sentiment was strong. Sure, I got dirty looks and less-than-stellar treatment due to my less-than-perfect Spanish. So what? Some people are bigots and you can't change them. Just move on.
Agreed.

Too; the language of money and power in the world in 2015 IS English.
 
Old 02-12-2015, 05:10 PM
 
11,574 posts, read 5,549,843 times
Reputation: 9906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed.

Too; the language of money and power in the world in 2015 IS English.
I agree.

English is the language that is used world-wide by airline pilots and air traffic controllers, for example.

In this country, English is the language that binds us all.

I used to work with 2 women. One was from India and the other one was from Hungary. Without knowing English, they never would have been able to have a conversation.

My maternal grandparents came to this country from Europe. They lived in a neighborhood that had immigrants from different countries. My grandparents became really good friends with an Italian family and an Armenian family. If they, or the other families didn't know English, they never would have been able to form such good friendships.
 
Old 02-12-2015, 05:32 PM
 
31,873 posts, read 14,670,439 times
Reputation: 8490
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Why would anyone allow some ignorant stranger to make them feel "humiliation and shame"? Why would anyone give a complete stranger such power over themselves?

I was on the opposite end of this as a teen living in PR in the early 70s when the anti-English sentiment was strong. Sure, I got dirty looks and less-than-stellar treatment due to my less-than-perfect Spanish. So what? Some people are bigots and you can't change them. Just move on.
Some people think because you have an opinion different from them that automatically makes them a bigot and you shouldn't be allowed to express your opinion nor your reasons for viewing things as you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top