U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2015, 01:03 PM
 
32,045 posts, read 14,796,827 times
Reputation: 8559

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
I'm sorry that the Chamber of Commerce wing of the Federal Government has led you to believe this - it just cannot be true. If I hire someone, it really is not be hard to verify their identity, should I CHOOSE to take the time and effort to do so properly. I've hired people for the small organization that I work for; we would never hire someone without doing a comprehensive background check.

Yes, I'm disappointed in the current administration when it comes to this issue. Very disappointed. But I don't think that Republicans have any solid solutions, other than silly distractions like securing the border. If anything, that is much more dastardly - throwing up distractions, saying that you are against illegal immigration out of one side of your mouth, while even more overtly being against things like businesses paying fair wages and taxes - illegal immigration oh so coincidentally solves those little issues, so what do you know, keeping the status quo while blaming welfare-loving bleeding heart liberals for all the ills of this county just so conveniently works out.

This is where I am right now.

The Liberal Case Against Illegal Immigration - The Daily Beast
No one has led me to believe anything. It's ridiculous to claim that the majority of Americans hire illegal aliens and then you don't post anything to prove it. No one I know personally hires illegal aliens and the companies that I do business with don't either. My neighbors don't hire anyone to do their yard work or any other household tasks without checking on who they are. The problem is that e-verify is not mandated for most businesses and it should be. Many illegals use very authentic looking documents to make it look like they are who they are and that they are authorized to work here. E-verify will end most of that fraud.

Securing the border is a silly distraction? There are only these solutions that make sense. Secure the border, mandate e-verify, deny any benefits to illegal aliens and interpret birthright citizenship as it was intended. Many if not most would self-deport and it would discourage more from coming here.

You seem to be a very angry person but I am not convinced about what. I suggest you channel some of that anger into fighting illegal immigration rather than having a seemingly defeatist attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2015, 01:15 PM
 
10,026 posts, read 8,908,689 times
Reputation: 5888
I probably go a step behind what most do because I have actually reported companies using illegals. In my 20's I often waitressed at restaurants and the entire staff except waitresses and managers were illegals. Since I spoke Spanish I spoke to them and one admitted he was paid $1 hour and the restaurant had a trailer for them to live in.

I also contact my representatives but they usually call me names because they support this. I write them and tell them I'll vote for them if they are anti illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 02:51 PM
 
601 posts, read 414,079 times
Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I probably go a step behind what most do because I have actually reported companies using illegals. In my 20's I often waitressed at restaurants and the entire staff except waitresses and managers were illegals. Since I spoke Spanish I spoke to them and one admitted he was paid $1 hour and the restaurant had a trailer for them to live in.

I also contact my representatives but they usually call me names because they support this. I write them and tell them I'll vote for them if they are anti illegal.
How awfully sad. I hope his situation has improved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 02:57 PM
 
32,045 posts, read 14,796,827 times
Reputation: 8559
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
How awfully sad. I hope his situation has improved.
Am I missing something here? The illegal alien "chose" to come to this country illegally (breaking the law) and be exploited all the while cutting an American out of a job but we are worried about his situation becoming improved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 03:34 PM
 
601 posts, read 414,079 times
Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No one has led me to believe anything. It's ridiculous to claim that the majority of Americans hire illegal aliens and then you don't post anything to prove it. No one I know personally hires illegal aliens and the companies that I do business with don't either. My neighbors don't hire anyone to do their yard work or any other household tasks without checking on who they are. The problem is that e-verify is not mandated for most businesses and it should be. Many illegals use very authentic looking documents to make it look like they are who they are and that they are authorized to work here. E-verify will end most of that fraud.

Securing the border is a silly distraction? There are only these solutions that make sense. Secure the border, mandate e-verify, deny any benefits to illegal aliens and interpret birthright citizenship as it was intended. Many if not most would self-deport and it would discourage more from coming here.

You seem to be a very angry person but I am not convinced about what. I suggest you channel some of that anger into fighting illegal immigration rather than having a seemingly defeatist attitude.
Angry? Yes. Absolutely.

But more frustrated that I have nowhere reasonable to turn on this issue. Illegal immigration is one issue that I care about, among many. The rhetoric out there is terribly unreasonable, and focuses on shifty Mexicans and a southern border, rather than combating visa overstays (which account for a large percentage of illegal immigrants), and vilifying the businesses who hire anyone here illicitly, and vilifying the landlords who rent rooms and houses to them, which makes me just not want to consume any of it.

And I cannot reasonably combat an issue without information, and knowledge that there is a like-minded community out there. I cannot stand with the crop of anti-illegal immigrants that I see represented in the media and message boards.

And I don't trust any research on illicit activity like this. How accurate can it be?

Secure the border, mandate e-verify, deny any benefits to illegal aliens and interpret birthright citizenship as it was intended.

I absolutely agree with all of these measures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 03:40 PM
 
32,045 posts, read 14,796,827 times
Reputation: 8559
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Angry? Yes. Absolutely.

But more frustrated that I have nowhere reasonable to turn on this issue. Illegal immigration is one issue that I care about, among many. The rhetoric out there is terribly unreasonable, and focuses on shifty Mexicans and a southern border, rather than combating visa overstays (which account for a large percentage of illegal immigrants), and vilifying the businesses who hire anyone here illicitly, and vilifying the landlords who rent rooms and houses to them, which makes me just not want to consume any of it.

And I cannot reasonably combat an issue without information, and knowledge that there is a like-minded community out there. I cannot stand with the crop of anti-illegal immigrants that I see represented in the media and message boards.

And I don't trust any research on illicit activity like this. How accurate can it be?

Secure the border, mandate e-verify, deny any benefits to illegal aliens and interpret birthright citizenship as it was intended.

I absolutely agree with all of these measures.
Fact - most illegal here are Mexicans but we want all illegals gone.

Fact - we anti-illegals have constantly harped about the employers and we want e-verify in place to stop them.

Fact - we have attacked the visa overstayers also.

Fact - we have also vilified the landlords that rent to them.

Where have you been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 03:43 PM
 
601 posts, read 414,079 times
Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Am I missing something here? The illegal alien "chose" to come to this country illegally (breaking the law) and be exploited all the while cutting an American out of a job but we are worried about his situation becoming improved?
No. You are ignoring the other side of the coin. The restaurant owner CHOSE to hire him, CHOSE to pay him $1 an hour, and yes, I hope the immigrant's situation improved, preferably by realizing that working for $1 an hour for an unscrupulous business owner was not worth it, going home, and having an improved life there somehow.

The restaurant owner could have hired an American but CHOSE not to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 03:45 PM
 
601 posts, read 414,079 times
Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Fact - most illegal here are Mexicans but we want all illegals gone.

Fact - we anti-illegals have constantly harped about the employers and we want e-verify in place to stop them.

Fact - we have attacked the visa overstayers also.

Fact - we have also vilified the landlords that rent to them.

Where have you been?
Lurking for a few weeks recently, and reading up (on and off) about the issue for a few years now, and oh, LIVING in an area with a high immigrant population, both legal and illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 04:05 PM
 
11,625 posts, read 5,594,955 times
Reputation: 9943
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Nope, don't see it. It isn't just you, though. The entire anti-illegal immigration movement hinges incredibly on faulting Democrats.

Are the tea partiers the true conservatives now? Their 15 tenets, one of which directly addresses illegal immigration, also lean toward being business friendly.

About Us - Tea Party

Do you know why democrats are faulted? It's because, at one time dems truly looked out for the poor, working and middle classes. Those dems of yore would have been horrified to discover that their constituents were either seeing their wages depressed or were being displaced in the work force due to illegal immigration. And those dems would have done something about it---and I don't mean amnesty either.

The dems of yore would have pushed back hard when it comes to the whole H1-B visa program because they knew how it would hurt Americans. Today's dems sit silently and don't speak up when some want even more H1-Bs. Dems have remained mum despite the fact that the whole H1-B visa program is riddled with fraud. Funny how that is---it's the repubs who are pushing back regarding H1-Bs and are speaking up for all the Americans who have been hurt by this program.

Today's dems have done a 180 and now put illegals ahead of the millions of suffering underemployed and unemployed American citizens. It was dems who fought to keep E-verify from being created and when it was created, it was Ted Kennedy who insisted that it can't be used to weed out existing illegals in the work force. It's dems that fight the hardest to keep from securing our borders. We have people in congress like Raul Grijalva and Luis Gutierrez (both Ds) who tell their constituents that they are in congress to represent illegals. They get away with this BS because those who support dems think that today's dems are the same as their grandfather's dems. Dems must be laughing themselves sick knowing this.

Dems know how to keep their constituents happy. Sure, they push for an increase in the minimum wage but what good will that do for Americans displaced in the work force by illegals---especially since dems fight so hard to keep E-verify from becoming the law of the land. Yet the low information voters who mindlessly vote straight D are unaware that they are being screwed over by dems.

Don't think for one minute that I belong to the RNC. I'm an independent who will vote for a bluedog democrat over a RINO anyday.

Still...neither party is looking out for Americans. However, at one time I would have expected far, far better from the dems. And that is the reason that I fault dems on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 04:12 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,396,090 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
I am insulting you, I am insulting me, our government, the rest of the complacent citizenry who have allowed corporate america and the scumbag democratic party to have put us into this situation, and insulting everyone else including any bleeding heart, clueless liberals/useful idiots claiming either idiocy: "but we are a nation of immigrants" or "but we are americans so we should be compassionate towards those less fortunate"...

I am insulting everyone one of us, because lunatic scenarios like the total mis-reading of the 14th amendment has been applied towards allowing every bottom-feeding leech from around the world to sneak in and soak up our tax dollars, and has continued for decades.

You can march in every protest, scream in every letter to the editor, but until enough people rise up and literally threaten the government with a revolution/rebellion, NOTHING will happen, NOTHING.

We are all guilty of having failed, because we have sat complacently watching corporate-fed, soothing garbage to calm the masses like pro football, TV shows, etc., when we could have been getting off of our a$$es and done something - but we didn't, and haven't.
Agreed tho I'd deport any illegal alien still in the US after 1985 or anchor kid below 18; that'd still get rid of MOST of them right there. When I say "anchor kid", I'm talking about US born kids with BOTH parents being illegal aliens. I doubt there are that many illegals in 2015 who've been here 1985 or earlier to be fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top