U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-21-2015, 07:57 PM
 
31,921 posts, read 14,699,387 times
Reputation: 8514

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
So food prices go up a little bit because farmers would HAVE to offer more money for workers. Big deal, NOT. Many Americans work the oil field for maybe 2 times the money and THAT'S rough work.
It's BS anyway. The growers/farmers just pocket the profits from cheap, illegal labor. They pass little to nothing on to the consumer. Americans would refuse to buy over priced, expensive produce anyway. If crops are rotting on the vines it is because of the above. Their greed caught up with them rather than using the unlimited visas. Too bad, so sad. No sympathy here for their lawbreaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2015, 08:00 PM
 
31,921 posts, read 14,699,387 times
Reputation: 8514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
It sounds to me those "farmers" shouldn't be working in that kind of work then. Either that or really amp up the wages, more money WILL attract people. If talking about 15 an hour or more, I'd be working the fields.
It's just an excuse anyway to use cheap, illegal labor instead. If the visa program is so difficult or expensive to use then why don't they let our government know so it can be tweaked? It still doesn't negate the fact that most illegals aren't picking crops anyway but doing jobs that Americans will do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2015, 08:57 PM
 
Location: in the mountains
1,372 posts, read 765,591 times
Reputation: 2058
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
I disagree with this. This is perhaps, common for illegal immigrants (where the focus of this discussion is). If you look at fields like sciences, and IT, where well educated immigrants are handed jobs left and right, you're looking a jobs that Americans would do. Unfortunately, there just aren't enough qualified Americans to do them. The qualified ones already have jobs and are being fought over.

This is not true. It's another lie that is spread publicly, but behind closed doors, Americans are being laid off and H-1B Visa workers from India are being brought in. You can do a Google search, about the growing number of H-1B visa workers in this country. I have some links, but I don't have time to dig for them right now.

The Americans are laid off and the foreigner workers are hired because:
1. Foriegn workers can be paid less
2. They can't form a union
3. They don't get workman's comp
4. They often don't get benefits
5. They can be fired at the drop of a hat and sent packing to India, so they will work overtime without pay, and do other things at the behest of their employer that an ordinary worker wouldn't do.

So you see, these H-1B visa workers are being exploited right here in the USA, and corporations are pocketing the difference, and Americans are being laid off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2015, 04:43 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
260 posts, read 307,805 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post

So you see, these H-1B visa workers are being exploited right here in the USA, and corporations are pocketing the difference, and Americans are being laid off.
H-1B visas definitely need to be reformed to ensure that qualified Americans are chosen first, but this country definitely is behind in skills. We have the same amount of students who are highly proficient in mathematics as South Korea, yet we have 6x their population. It's pathetic, and to think we can compete in a global economy without letting in the best minds is just unlikely.

The H-1b fields tends to have low rates of unemployment and fairly high incomes, so I don't see how these poor tech workers are being squeezed. I mean, these are the same people causing San Francisco's housing prices to skyrocket. They're not working for low wages, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2015, 09:47 AM
 
Location: in the mountains
1,372 posts, read 765,591 times
Reputation: 2058
Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
H-1B visas definitely need to be reformed to ensure that qualified Americans are chosen first, but this country definitely is behind in skills. We have the same amount of students who are highly proficient in mathematics as South Korea, yet we have 6x their population. It's pathetic, and to think we can compete in a global economy without letting in the best minds is just unlikely.

The H-1b fields tends to have low rates of unemployment and fairly high incomes, so I don't see how these poor tech workers are being squeezed. I mean, these are the same people causing San Francisco's housing prices to skyrocket. They're not working for low wages, that's for sure.
Who do you think ran Silicon valley 10-20 years ago? It was all white guys like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, George Lucas (founded Industrial Light and Magic that became Pixar, computer animation). Like you said, there are many Americans living in Silicon Valley who have rich investors in other sectors that are funding their start ups. The money is coming from elsewhere and being invested into Silicon valley. I am talking about the IT industry as a whole, there are plenty of IT outposts in the US outside of Silicon Valley, for instance there are a ton in Denver, a ton in Northern Virginia where I live (and where I have worked jobs, and have seen literally the entire company is made up of Indians here on work visas). There is also IT in Texas, and Washington State, to name the ones I know about.

Our country is not behind in IT skills. This is the lie that's repeated in the media to justify the expanding of the H-1B visa program. I don't have the link but there is another thread or two on this forum where American IT workers explained how they had been laid off and had been asked by their employers to train the new H-1B visa worker hires. Their replacements were all from India, people on H-1B visas. This happened in many tech companies. When I read this I was not surprised because not only have I seen it myself, but it makes sense financially because the H-1Bs are cheaper to employ. I am telling you that I have seen it with my own eyes, although I don't work specifically in IT. I live in Northern Virginia and there is a huge amount of Indians here working in IT, I not only see them around town but I have seen them working in IT companies where I have worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2015, 10:02 AM
 
17,497 posts, read 10,176,121 times
Reputation: 6744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
Who do you think ran Silicon valley 10-20 years ago? It was all white guys like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, George Lucas (founded Industrial Light and Magic that became Pixar, computer animation). Like you said, there are many Americans living in Silicon Valley who have rich investors in other sectors that are funding their start ups. The money is coming from elsewhere and being invested into Silicon valley. I am talking about the IT industry as a whole, there are plenty of IT outposts in the US outside of Silicon Valley, for instance there are a ton in Denver, a ton in Northern Virginia where I live (and where I have worked jobs, and have seen literally the entire company is made up of Indians here on work visas). There is also IT in Texas, and Washington State, to name the ones I know about.

Our country is not behind in IT skills. This is the lie that's repeated in the media to justify the expanding of the H-1B visa program. I don't have the link but there is another thread or two on this forum where American IT workers explained how they had been laid off and had been asked by their employers to train the new H-1B visa worker hires. Their replacements were all from India, people on H-1B visas. This happened in many tech companies. When I read this I was not surprised because not only have I seen it myself, but it makes sense financially because the H-1Bs are cheaper to employ. I am telling you that I have seen it with my own eyes, although I don't work specifically in IT. I live in Northern Virginia and there is a huge amount of Indians here working in IT, I not only see them around town but I have seen them working in IT companies where I have worked.
Kind of goes with......when is the last time you spoke to an American when told push 2 for English!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2015, 12:48 PM
 
10,026 posts, read 8,886,595 times
Reputation: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
Who do you think ran Silicon valley 10-20 years ago? It was all white guys like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, George Lucas (founded Industrial Light and Magic that became Pixar, computer animation). Like you said, there are many Americans living in Silicon Valley who have rich investors in other sectors that are funding their start ups. The money is coming from elsewhere and being invested into Silicon valley. I am talking about the IT industry as a whole, there are plenty of IT outposts in the US outside of Silicon Valley, for instance there are a ton in Denver, a ton in Northern Virginia where I live (and where I have worked jobs, and have seen literally the entire company is made up of Indians here on work visas). There is also IT in Texas, and Washington State, to name the ones I know about.

Our country is not behind in IT skills. This is the lie that's repeated in the media to justify the expanding of the H-1B visa program. I don't have the link but there is another thread or two on this forum where American IT workers explained how they had been laid off and had been asked by their employers to train the new H-1B visa worker hires. Their replacements were all from India, people on H-1B visas. This happened in many tech companies. When I read this I was not surprised because not only have I seen it myself, but it makes sense financially because the H-1Bs are cheaper to employ. I am telling you that I have seen it with my own eyes, although I don't work specifically in IT. I live in Northern Virginia and there is a huge amount of Indians here working in IT, I not only see them around town but I have seen them working in IT companies where I have worked.
Exactly, though it's not just IT. I've gone for marketing jobs only to see everyone there was Indian and the job went to an Indian. I also work in instructional design and those jobs are increasingly going to India or Indians. I know many educated workers who now work unskilled and semiskilled jobs because their job either went overseas or to a visa worker. There is something wrong when some of our brightest are working jobs they are overqualified for while people who aren't ours take those jobs and many times they aren't India's brightest. Sick and immoral.

Last edited by Idon'tdateyou; 03-30-2015 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2015, 12:54 PM
 
Location: in the mountains
1,372 posts, read 765,591 times
Reputation: 2058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Kind of goes with......when is the last time you spoke to an American when told push 2 for English!
Yeah, that's what's H-1B visas are, they are "offshoring" work in the USA.... Instead of sending the jobs overseas, they are importing the overseas workers to work here in the USA, without making the workers US citizens. It's the same thing as sending jobs overseas. Either way, Americans are losing their jobs and are not being hired in favor of hiring a cheaper foreign worker.

Including those call center people who live in India and work for American countries answering the phone. Though there still are a few call centers in the USA that hire Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2015, 12:58 PM
 
Location: in the mountains
1,372 posts, read 765,591 times
Reputation: 2058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Exactly, though it's no it just IT. I've gone for marketing jobs only to see everyone there was Indian and the job went to an Indian. I also work in instructional design and those jobs are increasingly going to India or Indians. I know many educated workers who now work unskilled and semiskilled jobs because their job either went overseas or to a visa worker. There is something wrong when some of our brightest are working jobs they are overqualified for while people who aren't ours take those jobs and many times they aren't India's brightest. Sick and immoral.
Yes! I was thinking of making a career change into IT. I went to an information session and hiring fair at the local community college, and there were several local IT firms who had reps present who were scouting new talent. Do you know that all the IT firm reps were Indians? They had Indian accents, some of them were probably not even US citizens. There were many nationalities present at the information session, but I noticed the reps spent the most time talking with other Indians, many of whom were immigrants. I got the impression that even though they have to publicly state that they aren't discriminatory, they are actually discriminatory in their hiring practices in that the hiring managers are Indian and they will be hiring other Indians. They are very clannish and they have no qualms about being "racist" in hiring their own kind, because they like being able to speak Hindi at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2015, 01:27 PM
 
10,026 posts, read 8,886,595 times
Reputation: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
Yes! I was thinking of making a career change into IT. I went to an information session and hiring fair at the local community college, and there were several local IT firms who had reps present who were scouting new talent. Do you know that all the IT firm reps were Indians? They had Indian accents, some of them were probably not even US citizens. There were many nationalities present at the information session, but I noticed the reps spent the most time talking with other Indians, many of whom were immigrants. I got the impression that even though they have to publicly state that they aren't discriminatory, they are actually discriminatory in their hiring practices in that the hiring managers are Indian and they will be hiring other Indians. They are very clannish and they have no qualms about being "racist" in hiring their own kind, because they like being able to speak Hindi at work.
One place I interviewed with had only Indians in upper management. The Americans (all were women) were in support job. I interviewed for a director job, only to be told they decided to interview me for an entry level job I never applied for. The guy had a strong accent and then admitted he only hired pretty, thin childless women who didn't smoke and the interview questions all had to do with this. Not one question dealt with my skills. They offered me the job but why would I want a minimum wage job when I have a masters and 10+ years of experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top