Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:52 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Juanito's children are American-born, so they will be tax payers as soon as they join the labor force. Chances are, Juanito is going to be legal sometime soon because I am going to sponsor him for a Green Card, so he will be paying taxes soon as well. Now, if Peter wants to remain competitive, he will have to do it for $25. See, this is the beauty of Economics, the consumer benefiting from pure competition. Beautiful!
This is not 'pure competition'. This is not a level playing field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 10:09 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Do you not know the magnitude of money that would be needed to go out and fish at night for over 20 Million people, prove their illegality, pay for their transportation across the border. It will cost the U.S millions possible billions, and could take years. We don't have the money or time in my opinion.
Pro....when has the cost of any government program been a determining factor. If the feds decided to do it....the cost would be irrelevant and you know that as well as I.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:12 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Here is my real-life example:

I need my someone to mow my lawn everyday, so I call Peter and Juanito. Peter gives me a quote: $60, I call Juanito and he is willing to do the same job for $30. Great! Now, lets suppose that Peter is legal and Juanito is illegal (Honestly, I don't care). If I hire Peter, my annual total cost would be $60 * 365= $21900. Too much! Now, if I hire Juanito, the total cost would be $30 *365= $10950. Whoa!

Basically, I would be saving $10950 annually just in lawn mowing by hiring my amigo Juanito!!! Now, if Juanito is not paying taxes, in this case it would be irrelevant because he allowed me to save $10950 in lawn mowing costs. So, even if I am picking up Juanito's tax tab, I am still way ahead!! Now, if Juanito is legal and he is still willing to do it for $30, better yet! The basic idea can be applied to just about any sector of the economy. As you can see, it is not rocket science.
Interesting concept for a econ 101 but it gets much more complicated than a freshman class would have you to believe.

Im just glad your not at the fed....the govt finance situation is plenty screwed as it stands

Old 01-14-2008, 03:06 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Pro....when has the cost of any government program been a determining factor. If the feds decided to do it....the cost would be irrelevant and you know that as well as I.
exactly, just look at the money we've been spending in Iraq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration