Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 04:42 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
On shopping trips to Mexico, its often assumed my wife 'speaks the language', which she's barely able to do.
Totally off topic - forgive me. But, my wife - as Anglo as they come, speaks 6 languages - her main foreign language is Spanish. Her first Bachelors was from the University of Madrid.

When we travel in Mexico, which is frequent, we have had occassions when some will, while looking at us, start speaking about the "dumb gringos" (happens usually when shopping) - I speak spanish but not like her - and we have this little game - she lets them continue for a bit then she turns to them, and in what she calls "gutter" spanish, unleashes on them! It is a hoot to watch things change! The apologizes flow forth -

So much for the "dumb GringA"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 04:48 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
I don't assume hispanics that dont speak english are illeagls. I assume that they have chosen to be ignorant. They have decided to migrate to an english speaking nation. To better fit in and adjust I would think it wise to learn the language of the land.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:49 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Not 100% sure where you're going...but my assumption (and that's all ANY of us have, really) is that these two probably don't routinely go around asking strangers if they "speak English". Being Marines, I ASSUMED they were a 'long way from home'---(maybe not)---and weren't 'used to things here'. But I will definitely put that down (as well as many SIMILAR experiences) as a case of 'profiling'. You may draw your own conclusions........

I have many similar stories. I myself have been 'profiled' a number of times--sometimes by entirely well-meaning folks, sometimes not.

PS Chele--I see my misunderstanding now---your post says "on her ability"---I think you meant "OR her ability"...right?
I'm assuming based on your post that your wife looks hispanic? So although the question was not worded in the most polite manner (maybe because they had to yell over the engine noise) the man saw a hispanic woman and asked if she spoke english. Maybe his experience has been that many hispanic people do not. So, rather than asking for directions in english and getting a blank stare, maybe he thought he should determine if she spoke english. It's not like he was accusing her of being illegal or even that he necessarily meant any disrespect.

As for "get a pass", I meant, if illegal aliens spoke english it is doubtful that anyone would give them a second glance or question their immigration status due to the large legal hispanic/hispanic looking population. My mother could pass for hispanic yet nobody gives her a second look because she speaks english fluently.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
I'm assuming based on your post that your wife looks hispanic? So although the question was not worded in the most polite manner (maybe because they had to yell over the engine noise) the man saw a hispanic woman and asked if she spoke english. Maybe his experience has been that many hispanic people do not. So, rather than asking for directions in english and getting a blank stare, maybe he thought he should determine if she spoke english. It's not like he was accusing her of being illegal or even that he necessarily meant any disrespect.
That's an interesting topic in itself. I have seen "hispanics" react very negatively to someone speaking to them in Spanish or asking them if they speak Spanish or handing a Spanish caller at work to them assuming they speak Spanish. And then there are others who are angry when others don't speak Spanish to them and don't want to hear English.

In a store or other setting, approaching a customer in Spanish because you assume that's what they wish to or only can speak can get an angry reaction. I saw once where a woman from a northern state simply asked a hispanic woman (who spoke fluent English) if she spoke Spanish at home and that woman became very angry over the question. Yet this is an area where most hispanics speak Spanish at home and many speak no English at all -- so what might be a fair question to one person isn't at all to another.

A guy from India who looks hispanic was laughing how a woman spoke to him in Spanish and he only said "I'm sorry ma'm, I don't speak Spanish" and she began to yell at him for "losing his heritage and language" (in English) and he informed her he was from India and had not lost his heritage or language.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:19 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's an interesting topic in itself. I have seen "hispanics" react very negatively to someone speaking to them in Spanish or asking them if they speak Spanish or handing a Spanish caller at work to them assuming they speak Spanish. And then there are others who are angry when others don't speak Spanish to them and don't want to hear English.

In a store or other setting, approaching a customer in Spanish because you assume that's what they wish to or only can speak can get an angry reaction. I saw once where a woman from a northern state simply asked a hispanic woman (who spoke fluent English) if she spoke Spanish at home and that woman became very angry over the question. Yet this is an area where most hispanics speak Spanish at home and many speak no English at all -- so what might be a fair question to one person isn't at all to another.

A guy from India who looks hispanic was laughing how a woman spoke to him in Spanish and he only said "I'm sorry ma'm, I don't speak Spanish" and she began to yell at him for "losing his heritage and language" (in English) and he informed her he was from India and had not lost his heritage or language.
I know exactly what you mean! I have witnessed similiar events!
I worked with an American lady of hispanic heritage married to a Mexican national. Her husband took the time to learn english in order to become American. He was outraged by requests for him to translate by people too lazy to learn english! In fact, when a Mexican man asked him to translate for him, he charged him! He told them all to learn english.

In this over PC world, it is almost impossible to not offend someone. How am I supposed to know what language you speak based on your appearance? How many people can actually tell some Mexican nationals from some Native Americans? And just how many of us can tell just by looking what Asian country you are from? Are we supposed to learn all languages of the world, just to be politically correct and not offend anyone? Isn't is just simpler to require immigrants to learn english and use english as our national language? It's not about racism, it's about unity.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:49 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:

As for "get a pass", I meant, if illegal aliens spoke english it is doubtful that anyone would give them a second glance or question their immigration status due to the large legal hispanic/hispanic looking population. My mother could pass for hispanic yet nobody gives her a second look because she speaks english fluently.
Basically, the "insult", such as it was, was in assuming things about Americans. While I'm certainly no fan of Political correctness, such 'gaffes' as happened at the stoplight are hurtful and insulting, in view of the fact that this is America. Many Asian people whose families have been in California for 4 generations get annoyed when people ask them "how they like living in America" or compliment then on their ability to speak English. It's dismissive and its insulting, and very few whites, in America, are assumed to speak German, or Italian.

The "rule of thumb' around here, decades ago, long before our "PC" nuttiness today, was that it was insulting to approach a Hispanic, here in California, and address him in Spanish. Very likely, he could be an American---and if not, he might be TRYING to be assimilated. Meanwhile, if he COULDN'T speak English, he'd let you know, and you could proceed. Anything less was an insulting assumption, and I agree. It has to do with the fact that this is America. Blacks don't like whites to call them "dude" in an attempt to sound 'cool'---and Hispanics don't like to be addressed in Spanish to 'accomodate' them. They're Americans, and want to be treated as such. If you're wrong, then the situation can be taken from there. But it's insulting to assume. Hope you understand this...

Old 01-13-2008, 05:52 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
I know exactly what you mean! I have witnessed similiar events!
I worked with an American lady of hispanic heritage married to a Mexican national. Her husband took the time to learn english in order to become American. He was outraged by requests for him to translate by people too lazy to learn english! In fact, when a Mexican man asked him to translate for him, he charged him! He told them all to learn english.

In this over PC world, it is almost impossible to not offend someone. How am I supposed to know what language you speak based on your appearance? How many people can actually tell some Mexican nationals from some Native Americans? And just how many of us can tell just by looking what Asian country you are from? Are we supposed to learn all languages of the world, just to be politically correct and not offend anyone? Isn't is just simpler to require immigrants to learn english and use english as our national language? It's not about racism, it's about unity.
A friend of mine; Mexico born and raised, considers himself Hispanic-----never mind that all four of his grandparents emigrated from Eastern Europe/Russia. Yes; the man is White with no known indigenous blood.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:54 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,950,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
A friend of mine; Mexico born and raised, considers himself Hispanic-----never mind that all four of his grandparents emigrated from Eastern Europe/Russia. Yes; the man is White with no known indigenous blood.
Same here, I know someone from church who is American and lived in Mexico for numerous years. He considers himself Mexican even though he moved back here.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:00 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm not trying to influence anyone's opinion---nor do I want to comment on what is--or is not--"good business". I'm only commenting on private, one-on-one social situations. And its been my experience, over many years, that you'll get a lot farther, with a lot more good will, by assuming that strangers--of ANY color---are Americans, and can speak English (and sometimes find yourself proven wrong)---than you will if you assume others (particularly racial minorities) are NOT Americans, and CAN'T speak English--and THEN find that you're wrong.

AS far as "knowing how to address them", why not try English, since this is America?. If they have problems, its up to them to ask for help...which, of course, I'd assume you'd be happy to comply with. But how could you POSSIBLY be able to accomodate any any everyone who comes along? Why should you feel this is your 'duty'?

It seems to me that by assuming EVERYONE speaks English, and adjusting if needed, you avoid the condescension inherent in assuming they don't.

Just my opinion, you understand...

Old 01-13-2008, 07:05 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,950,740 times
What my parents do is ask them in Spanish if they speak Spanish. (I know its rude but hey, what can I do?). Then if they say yes they make a joke like "Hey why are we wasting our English". If not, my dad takes on the conversation since my dad has no accent what so ever. I speak to everyone in Spanish and only speak Spanish when spoken to. I usually give back Spanglish responses though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration