U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2008, 03:19 PM
 
Location: The Silver State (from the UK)
3,603 posts, read 4,117,974 times
Reputation: 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I'll give you a "B" on this , ABear....your analogy is SOMEWHAT comparable, especialy when informing those "across the ocean" of our local politics....However, it would be closer to the truth to say the Hispanic, in THIS country in "social standing" would be somewhat like the Muslims in England---IF England had a small, remnant population of aboriginal Muslims, who were then "pushed aside" centuries ago by the arrival of the Anglo-Saxons, who formed what we now think of as "England"....and if these English THEN found themselves being rapidly filled up by newly-arriving MODERN Muslims, some of whom claimed "title" to the place by virtue of their (very arguable) ties to the "original" Muslims...no matter how obscure these "ties" might be...

In England, the "Muslims"--(or middle-easterners in general) form simply a somewhat-identifiable group of relatively "new" immigrants, period. Here, in the US Southwest, the "Hispanics" (whatever THAT means) form almost the very OLDEST group of residents, as well as the very NEWEST group--and every level of "group" in between. This adds TREMENDOUSLY to the emotional qualities of the situation which (as I see it) doesn't exist in Europe....

Does THIS make sense--(bigoted or not)?...



I don't really need to be "informed" of your politics. I have spent much time living in the US, and am married to an American. Whatever the history is of an immigrants claim to settle makes little difference when dealing with the 'perception' of the host nation's citizens and their opinions.

Immigrants are immigrants. My wife is one here, and I would be one there. The original statement (as well as most others made by the poster in question) are hugely bigoted because they gereralize an entire group of people (and in a hugely negative manner), and who's arguments frame nothing more than angry ranting based on an understanding similar to that of a fruit bat and quantum physics.

'Pakastani's and people of Muslim faith' here cannot be identified as one mere title when dealing with perceptions. Many asian immigrants form an integrel pat of our national health service, which would have ceased to exist was it not for an influx of asian doctors. We have sufferd hugely with unskilled labour shortages in england over the past few decades, a need that has been reduced by an influx of foreign workers. The economist estimates a $12bn contribution to the British economy from immigration alone (and a per capita GDP that has just surpassed the US).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2008, 03:36 PM
 
901 posts, read 45,090 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
And what if they are legal... should it matter then?

Picture yourself in a very poor country, with very little or nothing to eat. Picture trying to provide for your family and create opportunities for others. Wouldn't you look to developed nations like the US, UK etc and want to make a better life there? I think you would.

All I am saying is that there are deeper reasons as to why some countries have absolute wealth and some do not. Its not just simply because of the citizens in it!

I don't agree with illegal immigration, but I do think that everyone is an individual. Not ALL aliens are criminals because of the acts of one, just like not all Californians are criminals because one loose cannon shot somebody in LA.
What about the word ILLEGAL do you not understand? Not one person said anything about aliens or immigrants that are here legally.

BTW, people are not starving in Mexico. In fact, it has already been proven that the majority of Mexicans who come here illegally had jobs in Mexico and only come here to make more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2008, 04:03 PM
 
1,252 posts, read 67,858 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
What about the word ILLEGAL do you not understand?
Heh, where have we heard that before?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
Not one person said anything about aliens or immigrants that are here legally.
Yes they did. Several times.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
BTW, people are not starving in Mexico.
Oh, no?

Starvation, Isolation Killing Children of Mexico Indians

Quote:
Guillermina was one of 20 children who died of diseases related to malnutrition in a two-month period at the Santa Teresita Clinic, said Sister Virginia Briones, head of pediatrics there.

Dozens of children at the clinic are in various stages of treatment for malnutrition, several of them in critical condition.
Starvation, Isolation Killing Children of Mexico Indians

Misconceptions are not conducive to civil discourse....
.
..

Last edited by User 2; 01-14-2008 at 04:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Status: "Books on my mind (and on my sofa, tables, etc.)" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: South Bay Native
9,752 posts, read 13,417,730 times
Reputation: 13705
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
Heh, where have we heard that before?




Yes they did. Several times.




Oh, no?

STARVATION KILLS 25 A DAY IN MEXICO CITY





STARVATION KILLS 25 A DAY IN MEXICO CITY; Only Heavy Food Imports Can ... - Article Preview - The New York Times

Misinformation is not conducive to civil discourse....
.
..
Why are you posting a link to an article from the year 1915? Suggestion - quit digging yourself further into your ditch. 'Misinformation' would include using a blurb from a paper from almost a hundred years ago in defense of your argument today.

Last edited by DontH8Me; 01-14-2008 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: the irony of being "misinformed"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2008, 04:11 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 201,306 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
What about the word ILLEGAL do you not understand? Not one person said anything about aliens or immigrants that are here legally.

BTW, people are not starving in Mexico. In fact, it has already been proven that the majority of Mexicans who come here illegally had jobs in Mexico and only come here to make more money.
Stories in America: Starving the Poor

If people are starving in the U.S, then there are bound to be starving people in a country where people on the average make $10 a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2008, 04:14 PM
 
1,304 posts, read 2,128,057 times
Reputation: 374
we'll keep our starving Americans.. you keep your starving illegals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2008, 04:19 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 201,306 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
we'll keep our starving Americans.. you keep your starving illegals...
There should be no starving people in the U.S. If there are starving people we do not deserve to call our nation a 'highly developed nation'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2008, 04:20 PM
 
1,252 posts, read 67,858 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Why are you posting a link to an article from the year 1915? Suggestion - quit digging yourself further into your ditch. 'Misinformation' would include using a blurb from a paper from almost a hundred years ago in defense of your argument today.
I missed that, when looking for the link, I misread the web posting date for the print date.

No big deal, thanks I'll edit the link in the previous post.
.
..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Status: "Books on my mind (and on my sofa, tables, etc.)" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: South Bay Native
9,752 posts, read 13,417,730 times
Reputation: 13705
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
There should be no starving people in the U.S. If there are starving people we do not deserve to call our nation a 'highly developed nation'.
And we also do not "deserve" to inherit the poor of a border nation either, considering the circumstances you just mentioned. Surely, if we have our own starving poor, we should not be considered a haven for other nations.

Glad we can finally agree on something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2008, 04:36 PM
 
1,304 posts, read 2,128,057 times
Reputation: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
And we also do not "deserve" to inherit the poor of a border nation either, considering the circumstances you just mentioned. Surely, if we have our own starving poor, we should not be considered a haven for other nations.

Glad we can finally agree on something.
you will only ever get play-on words, mixed/twisted/stray to suit them, from the illegal-lovers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top