U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 09:01 AM

5,830 posts, read 3,302,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I would not go as far to say they I do not want them here if they have earned the academic creds to get into college, BUT I would want them to pay out of state tuition or even an out of country tuition AND they would have to be going through the required citizenship process.
None of which they will do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 09:02 AM

5,830 posts, read 3,302,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? What's stopping them from going to college in their country of birth?
That's just not their "dream".

Old 04-19-2015, 12:38 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,858,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You obviously are clueless as to how public schools get funded. Where I live, it's property taxes that fund the bulk of it. In my area, a house has to be assessed at $1 million in order for the property taxes generated to cover the education of 1 child.

As Oldglory rightfully pointed out, illegals live in overcrowded houses so the property taxes generated from those flophouses don't come anywhere near covering the cost of so much as 1 child.

As for sales taxes---gimme a break! Tourists here on vacation pay sales tax when they buy items. In other words, no one can escape paying that.

Illegals are often paid under the table thus evading income tax. Either that or they are using a fake or stolen SSN, thus committing ID theft. Did you know that it is not illegal for someone to use your SSN as long as they don't use your name with it? People who have had their IDs stolen or find out someone is using their SSN get put into a world of hurt.

Illegal immigration certainly does affect my personal life. They've destroyed my community and schools. So, yes, I'm angry and rightfully so. We, in this forum, who get the wide scale devastation caused by illegal aliens are not in need of therapy. We need to see illegals leave this country as they have no business being here.

From other postings on CD, you've made it known that you are Hispanic. Do you have illegal alien relatives? Is that your dog in this fight?
Not to mention stat show most illegals use welfare, often welfare they never paid into.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:51 AM

601 posts, read 410,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundNinia View Post
First of all, thats not true. If immigrants pay sales tax or any state or local tax, that money gets funded to the schools. Own or rent a home? Also pay taxes in the form of higher rent and property taxes which also fund the school.

Also, why do you care of they have to pay more or less of? ..is it affecting your personal life in any way? Are you going to lose your house, job, car or kids because of it? If not, why do you care?
The amount of money that goes into feeding and educating undocumented children cannot nearly be recouped by sales taxes, real property taxes, or any other tax. This annoying argument keeps being paraded, and it is dubious at best.

It probably costs around $15k per year for my local government to educate and feed each of the undocumented children that it hosts - I'm sorry, but there is no convincing me that Juan and Maria Undocumented and their 4 children are even remotely coming close to covering that $60k PER YEAR that my county is spending on them, any way that you slice and dice it, via the sales taxes they pay, the rent they pay, their income tax, whatever.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:31 PM

31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
The amount of money that goes into feeding and educating undocumented children cannot nearly be recouped by sales taxes, real property taxes, or any other tax. This annoying argument keeps being paraded, and it is dubious at best.

It probably costs around $15k per year for my local government to educate and feed each of the undocumented children that it hosts - I'm sorry, but there is no convincing me that Juan and Maria Undocumented and their 4 children are even remotely coming close to covering that $60k PER YEAR that my county is spending on them, any way that you slice and dice it, via the sales taxes they pay, the rent they pay, their income tax, whatever.
All factual points but they aren't "undocumented" they are illegal aliens.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:09 AM

601 posts, read 410,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
All factual points but they aren't "undocumented" they are illegal aliens.
If using verbiage such as undocumented vs. illegal keeps the dialogue going, I'm more than willing to do it. If people think that saying Illegal Alien, Illegal Immigrant is ire-filled, than I'm more that willing to use other descriptors.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:39 AM

10,157 posts, read 9,907,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Each year, more than 65,000 young people who grew up in the United States but who don’t have American citizenship graduate from high schools across the country. Yet when it’s time to prepare for college and perhaps use a diploma to move up in life, the nation tends to send them a painful message: Dream on.

America to Undocumented Teens: Forget That Dream of Going to College

Then just LEAVE! You illegal aliens, even the Dream Act people, just don't get it: we DON'T want your kind here in the US.
In my eyes they are citizens.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Well, I disagree. Allowing them to remain here and least of all granting them citizenship would be rewarding their parents for bringing them here illegally. We have enough competition for college seats among our own citizen kids. After they graduate if made legal they would then be able to compete for jobs against our own citizens also. It sets a precedence that if you bring your kids here illegally down the road they will be made legal or even granted our citizenship. Illegal aliens don't need any more incentives to come here than they already do.

When did we start persecuting a person for what their parents did?

Old 04-21-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
We need therapy because we want our immigration laws respected and enforced? Really? Then I guess our government officials also need therapy for implementing them? How about the governments of other countries that have immigration laws? Do they need therapy also? Maybe we need therapy for enforcing any of our other laws also?

Illegal aliens aren't "immigrants" and they have a habit of living several families in one house so no, whatever property taxes come out of their rent payments do not cover the costs of schooling their numerous children.

Why should foreigners especially those here illegally get a break in tuition? Illegal immigration is impacting all American families in some way negatively. I see, so it is also ignorant to want foreigners to come here legally and to respect our sovereign borders? Why shouldn't we be angry when they don't? I assure you that the ignorant ones on this board aren't those of us for the rule of law but those who think our immigration laws mean nothing instead.

The parents of those kids picked either fruits or vegetables for low wages that either helped your business or your grocery bill. You like them for that but no other way.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:48 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
The parents of those kids picked either fruits or vegetables for low wages that either helped your business or your grocery bill. You like them for that but no other way.
Please post up a link PROVING how much illegal aliens "save" us with cheaper food. Too; less than 5 percent of illegals even work the farms. Reading between the lines, you just "said" that over 95 percent of all illegal aliens are just useless, to be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or