Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 07:23 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,855,064 times

Advertisements

Each year, more than 65,000 young people who grew up in the United States but who don’t have American citizenship graduate from high schools across the country. Yet when it’s time to prepare for college and perhaps use a diploma to move up in life, the nation tends to send them a painful message: Dream on.

America to Undocumented Teens: Forget That Dream of Going to College

Then just LEAVE! You illegal aliens, even the Dream Act people, just don't get it: we DON'T want your kind here in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 09:07 AM

62,693 posts, read 28,884,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Each year, more than 65,000 young people who grew up in the United States but who don’t have American citizenship graduate from high schools across the country. Yet when it’s time to prepare for college and perhaps use a diploma to move up in life, the nation tends to send them a painful message: Dream on.

America to Undocumented Teens: Forget That Dream of Going to College

Then just LEAVE! You illegal aliens, even the Dream Act people, just don't get it: we DON'T want your kind here in the US.
"Undocumented" teens?

Old 04-01-2015, 09:19 AM

4,566 posts, read 3,383,758 times
I would not go as far to say they I do not want them here if they have earned the academic creds to get into college, BUT I would want them to pay out of state tuition or even an out of country tuition AND they would have to be going through the required citizenship process.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I would not go as far to say they I do not want them here if they have earned the academic creds to get into college, BUT I would want them to pay out of state tuition or even an out of country tuition AND they would have to be going through the required citizenship process.
Well, I disagree. Allowing them to remain here and least of all granting them citizenship would be rewarding their parents for bringing them here illegally. We have enough competition for college seats among our own citizen kids. After they graduate if made legal they would then be able to compete for jobs against our own citizens also. It sets a precedence that if you bring your kids here illegally down the road they will be made legal or even granted our citizenship. Illegal aliens don't need any more incentives to come here than they already do.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:40 AM

25,756 posts, read 21,905,003 times
The bottomline is that if those for whom a free education was intended were the only ones getting it, children/teens of parents who entered the country and stayed illegally, worked illegally, etc. this would not be an issue. So, yet another problem because we aren't enforcing the laws of our country.

Plus, isn't a reason we NEED them is because they do jobs Americans don't want to do? Isn't that the argument? We have more than enough people with college degrees vying for a limited number of positions. And, you know when they are trying to fill their quotas and show they don't discriminate, that illegal steps in front of OUR citizen for a job.

Can't a citizen of Mexico return to their country? You know I see a lot of others who come here and return to their countries to make it a better place, lots of Asians do this so maybe it is time for the Mexicans to do the same. I guess they don't have any feelings of loyalty toward their own country.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,281,002 times
Illegals get a better shot at a college education here in the US than our citizens do.
And that's a shame.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:07 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,168,755 times
What is left unsaid is that there IS a path for "undocumented teens" to legalize their status and attend college.

However, it involves paying more in tuition and fees which they clearly do not want to do.

Here's how it works:

1.) Apply to an accredited institution of higher learning
2.) Apply for a student visa once admitted
3.) Leave the United States
4.) Return to the United States on your student visa
5.) Attend college, paying foreign tuition
6.) Graduate, get a job, and go on with your life.

This is how these illegal kids can legalize themselves. Are they too thick to figure it out? Too lazy to do all of those steps? Or too chintzy to pay the price?

Old 04-01-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The bottomline is that if those for whom a free education was intended were the only ones getting it, children/teens of parents who entered the country and stayed illegally, worked illegally, etc. this would not be an issue. So, yet another problem because we aren't enforcing the laws of our country.

Plus, isn't a reason we NEED them is because they do jobs Americans don't want to do? Isn't that the argument? We have more than enough people with college degrees vying for a limited number of positions. And, you know when they are trying to fill their quotas and show they don't discriminate, that illegal steps in front of OUR citizen for a job.

Can't a citizen of Mexico return to their country? You know I see a lot of others who come here and return to their countries to make it a better place, lots of Asians do this so maybe it is time for the Mexicans to do the same. I guess they don't have any feelings of loyalty toward their own country.
Well if that were true we wouldn't be hearing "Viva Mexico" being uttered all over the place now would we?

Old 04-01-2015, 02:54 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,821,561 times
It's bad enough that we have to subsidize their education up to high school graduation--if they want to attend college, let them pay out-of US foreign tuition.

Can't do it? Tough. Go home.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:30 PM

22,331 posts, read 11,858,769 times
I just skimmed the article because I knew that if I read the whole thing it would make my blood boil

These DREAMers are ingrates who have no moral compass. They got a free K-12 education courtesy of the taxpayers and instead of being thankful, they want more, more, more!

BigD beat me to it, as I was going to write what she did. They do indeed have a legal way to attend college here.

The fact that the DREAMers get in-state tuition in some states must really be galling to all the foreign students who obeyed the law.

For example, student A was born and raised in Mexico. When it is time for him to go to college, he chooses an American state college. He has to apply for admission and once accepted, he has to obtain a student visa. As a foreign student, he has to pay out-of-state rates.

Student B was brought here illegally from Mexico as a kid. He got a free K-12 education. Now he wants to attend that same state college that student A wants to attend. However, since the state where student B lives gives in-state tuition to illegals who just happen to be squatting there, his tuition is cheaper than student A. On top of that, thanks to Obama dictating DACA (and extending it) student B has no worries about keeping his student visa current.

^This is absolutely disgusting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration