U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2015, 04:12 PM
 
31,471 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Reputation: 8350

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I'm all for deporting the parents, no questions asked. I was just thinking of those in very small cases and no they shouldn't jump in front of other foreign students.
Well, I will have to disagree with you. Even if you deport the parents they are still being rewarded by allowing their kids to remain here. They are also illegally here just as much as their parents are. What happened to that "separation of families" thingy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2015, 08:57 PM
 
10,026 posts, read 8,854,475 times
Reputation: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Well, I will have to disagree with you. Even if you deport the parents they are still being rewarded by allowing their kids to remain here. They are also illegally here just as much as their parents are. What happened to that "separation of families" thingy?
I'm probably not being clear. I'm not for rewarding illegals, it's more like someone else said about getting a visa. If you are here illegally then you go home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2015, 12:30 AM
 
Location: North Texas
23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Reputation: 26656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I don't believe they should get student rates. They should pay what foreign students pay.
I did say that they should pay foreign student rates; in fact, it was in the part of my post that you quoted.

Also under current US law, illegals under the age of 18 don't have time spent here illegally counted against them. The clock starts ticking 180 days after they turn 18. After that, time spent here starts counting up to a ban. How long the ban is depends on how long they've been here out of status.

This is why it's legal for them to get a student visa and re-enter. Some of them...not many, but some...do actually do this. You can even get an F-1 to study at a community college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2015, 03:08 AM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Reputation: 12779
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I did say that they should pay foreign student rates; in fact, it was in the part of my post that you quoted.
Not all schools have foreign student rates. Fees/tuition are up to the institution.

Also, most decent schools are likely to financially support foreign students just like they are domestic students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2015, 10:44 AM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
10,946 posts, read 7,975,174 times
Reputation: 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
In 1982, the Supreme Court decided that all students, regardless of their immigration status, were guaranteed a K-12 education. But the Court's decision did not extend to higher education. This has led to a situation where every year, of the at least 122,600 undocumented seniors in the country's high schools, only around 2,000 are expected to graduate with a college degree.

Denying Higher Education to Undocumented Students is a Roadblock to Future Economic Growth*|*Zenen Jaimes Pérez

Def time start denying ANY kid who ain't at least a legal alien any kind of tax paid education.

Too; most of those college educated illegals ain't employable anyway.
Perhaps if these illegals are such a boon to the country they should be provided education in the native countries and supply economic growth to their own country. At that countries expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2015, 12:32 PM
 
10,026 posts, read 8,854,475 times
Reputation: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Not all schools have foreign student rates. Fees/tuition are up to the institution.

Also, most decent schools are likely to financially support foreign students just like they are domestic students.
I don't believe any foreign students should get help. In fact I just got a plea for money where I received my master's for a student who is foreign. Nope I'd rather help American students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2015, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 69,870,497 times
Reputation: 27519
All of our colleges accept foreign students so that's hogwash.
They just don't want to be classified as foreign students and pay the higher tuition,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2015, 04:35 PM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Reputation: 12779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I don't believe any foreign students should get help. In fact I just got a plea for money where I received my master's for a student who is foreign. Nope I'd rather help American students.
You're well within your right to run your university as you wish. There is no law requiring you and your university to help out students.

Unless you went to a low quality school, I doubt they really need money to help foreign students. Endowments are well into the billions. It's worth noting that universities only provide financial assistance to legal students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2015, 05:01 PM
 
10,026 posts, read 8,854,475 times
Reputation: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You're well within your right to run your university as you wish. There is no law requiring you and your university to help out students.

Unless you went to a low quality school, I doubt they really need money to help foreign students. Endowments are well into the billions. It's worth noting that universities only provide financial assistance to legal students.
They ask alumni to support the scholarship fund. They do help foreign students at the expense of American students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2015, 11:12 PM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Reputation: 12779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
They ask alumni to support the scholarship fund. They do help foreign students at the expense of American students.
How so? There's no benefit to a university to admit foreign students over equivalent American students. Most universities actually have stiffer requirements for foreign students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top