U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2015, 10:06 PM
 
3,408 posts, read 5,133,973 times
Reputation: 2432

Advertisements

I was thinking that because illegal aliens get jobs by underbidding Americans, that if they couldn't underbid them, they wouldn't have jobs. Most illegals are illiterate, uneducated, don't know much English, and have little skills. What makes them competitive is low wages. If they don't have that, they have nothing. Of course, I'm generalizing. There are some that can compete based on things other than low cost.

I think it might be a good idea to give the illegals what they want. Give them a chance to stay here, but also make them compete on a level playing field and in addition, raise minimum wage and make e-verify mandatory. If a business couldn't hire illegal (those who don't file for amnesty) because of e-verify, then then illegals would lose their competitive edge (cheap wages), so there would be less of a reason to hire them. Why hire an illiterate, uneducated, non English speaking worker, if you could hire an American for the same wage?

There would be some illegals who would stay because they are actually worth higher wages and there would be some who would continue to live here illegally no matter what, because of their criminal record or because of being paid cash. But it seems like that would be the case regardless of what happens. And at the same time Americans would no longer be undercut by the majority of illegals. Also, there should be a period of 10 years where those seaking amnesty can't apply for benefits, so they are a net gain on the economy. And also, there should be amnesty tax taken out of their paychecks to pay for the deportation of those not playing by the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2015, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
519 posts, read 627,706 times
Reputation: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I think it might be a good idea to give the illegals what they want.
You lost me right here. And if granted amnesty, the now "legal immigrants" will try to compete for better jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2015, 11:11 PM
 
3,408 posts, read 5,133,973 times
Reputation: 2432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
You lost me right here. And if granted amnesty, the now "legal immigrants" will try to compete for better jobs.
you need to read further.....they can try, but they will fail to compete. do you see why? because they can't compete on cost, if no longer allowed to undercut. most have nothing else, and those who do, will pay for the rest to be deported. see how simple that is? It's a catch 22.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2015, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
519 posts, read 627,706 times
Reputation: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
you need to read further.....they can try, but they will fail to compete. do you see why? because they can't compete on cost, if no longer allowed to undercut. most have nothing else, and those who do, will pay for the rest to be deported. see how simple that is? It's a catch 22.
It's an interesting theory but I think a lot of them can and will compete. I could see many getting training and going for better jobs in the trades. Or if they already work illegally in construction, restaurants etc. going for better legal jobs. At the very least they will push teens and others at the bottom of the legal employment market out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 01:30 AM
 
3,936 posts, read 5,451,337 times
Reputation: 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I was thinking that because illegal aliens get jobs by underbidding Americans, that if they couldn't underbid them, they wouldn't have jobs. Most illegals are illiterate, uneducated, don't know much English, and have little skills. What makes them competitive is low wages. If they don't have that, they have nothing. Of course, I'm generalizing. There are some that can compete based on things other than low cost.

I think it might be a good idea to give the illegals what they want. Give them a chance to stay here, but also make them compete on a level playing field and in addition, raise minimum wage and make e-verify mandatory. If a business couldn't hire illegal (those who don't file for amnesty) because of e-verify, then then illegals would lose their competitive edge (cheap wages), so there would be less of a reason to hire them. Why hire an illiterate, uneducated, non English speaking worker, if you could hire an American for the same wage?

There would be some illegals who would stay because they are actually worth higher wages and there would be some who would continue to live here illegally no matter what, because of their criminal record or because of being paid cash. But it seems like that would be the case regardless of what happens. And at the same time Americans would no longer be undercut by the majority of illegals. Also, there should be a period of 10 years where those seaking amnesty can't apply for benefits, so they are a net gain on the economy. And also, there should be amnesty tax taken out of their paychecks to pay for the deportation of those not playing by the rules.

I like most of this, especially for them regarding the benefits, and amnesty tax. I wonder why our politicians haven't thought of that. They will never get rid of their benefits though. I would be thrilled to be wrong about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 06:28 AM
 
31,678 posts, read 14,614,583 times
Reputation: 8443
What you all aren't taking into account here is that it's about population growth and more demands on our social and natural resources also. No matter what allowing them to remain here is still amnesty and rewarding lawbreakers never makes sense. Just as long as they can give birth to a so-called citizen they will be able to tap into our welfare coffers and live off of that. We don't need more competition from foreigners for jobs regardless of what the pay is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 10:36 AM
 
3,857 posts, read 3,166,069 times
Reputation: 2457
Actually E- verify for all new employees AND a yearly E-verify check on current employees coupled with actual enforcement would accomplish the same.

No need for amnesty to reward criminals at all !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 10:40 AM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,455,130 times
Reputation: 7274
A minimum wage increase should not be part of the equation. I am all for tying together amnesty with an absolute requirement for e-verify amongst 100% of US businesses, with a business death penalty for repeat offenders who fail to use e-verify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 10:55 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,301,713 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
A minimum wage increase should not be part of the equation. I am all for tying together amnesty with an absolute requirement for e-verify amongst 100% of US businesses, with a business death penalty for repeat offenders who fail to use e-verify.
Agreed. That'd get rid of all illegal aliens trying to get jobs unless there were "cash only".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 11:07 AM
 
31,678 posts, read 14,614,583 times
Reputation: 8443
Amnesty should be no bargaining tool to implement e-verify. We don't need these people here. We need the jobs they are holding. They need to leave either voluntarily or involuntarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top