U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 02:29 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,298,901 times

Advertisements

LESOVO, Bulgaria Less than two decades after the painstaking removal of a massive border fence designed to keep people in, Bulgarian authorities are just as painstakingly building a new fence along the rugged Turkish border, this time to keep people out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/06/wo...-out.html?_r=0

Bulgaria has the right to do that to keep illegal aliens out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 01:09 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,019,232 times
And according the article, putting up a fence actually deters the flow of illegal border crossers. To think that the country still has to foot the bill to house illegal border crossers in refugee centers.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:08 AM

622 posts, read 397,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
LESOVO, Bulgaria Less than two decades after the painstaking removal of a massive border fence designed to keep people in, Bulgarian authorities are just as painstakingly building a new fence along the rugged Turkish border, this time to keep people out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/06/wo...-out.html?_r=0

Bulgaria has the right to do that to keep illegal aliens out.
Bulgaria doesn't have a land border with Turkey.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
Bulgaria doesn't have a land border with Turkey.
Damn! Too late to change it. Yes, Bulgaria does has a land border with Turkey. A slight boo-boo on my part there.

I was thinking Turkey ended at the Bosphorus for some unknown reason.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Damn! Too late to change it. Yes, Bulgaria does has a land border with Turkey. A slight boo-boo on my part there.

I was thinking Turkey ended at the Bosphorus for some unknown reason.
No worries. Sometimes I screw up my geography too. Tho I wish your info WAS right, it's a lot easier to keep invaders OUT if they have to cross running water, even if just a big river.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
No worries. Sometimes I screw up my geography too. Tho I wish your info WAS right, it's a lot easier to keep invaders OUT if they have to cross running water, even if just a big river.
Thanks for being understanding.

I wonder though why anyone from Turkey would want to go to Bulgaria. I know it was once ruled by the Ottoman Empire, but that was over 600 years ago. Both countries are NATO members, so nothing to be gained there and Turkey is richer than Bulgaria by all accounts.

Unfortunately, I can't open your link because I'm not subscribed to the NY Times so I don't know what there point of view is.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for being understanding.

I wonder though why anyone from Turkey would want to go to Bulgaria. I know it was once ruled by the Ottoman Empire, but that was over 600 years ago. Both countries are NATO members, so nothing to be gained there and Turkey is richer than Bulgaria by all accounts.

Unfortunately, I can't open your link because I'm not subscribed to the NY Times so I don't know what there point of view is.
From that NYT link.

Faced with a surge of refugees from the Middle East and North Africa and the risk that they include jihadis intent on terrorist attacks Europe is bolstering its defenses on many fronts, including this formerly Communist country, which little more than a quarter-century ago was more concerned with stanching the outbound flow of its own citizens to freedom. For the past 16 months, Bulgaria has been carrying out a plan that would sound familiar to anyone along the United States-Mexico frontier: more border officers, new surveillance equipment and the first 20-mile section of its border fence, which was finished in September.

The problem is illegal aliens from other places trying to sneak through Turkey.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
From that NYT link.

Faced with a surge of refugees from the Middle East and North Africa and the risk that they include jihadis intent on terrorist attacks Europe is bolstering its defenses on many fronts, including this formerly Communist country, which little more than a quarter-century ago was more concerned with stanching the outbound flow of its own citizens to freedom. For the past 16 months, Bulgaria has been carrying out a plan that would sound familiar to anyone along the United States-Mexico frontier: more border officers, new surveillance equipment and the first 20-mile section of its border fence, which was finished in September.

The problem is illegal aliens from other places trying to sneak through Turkey.
Looking at pictures of it on Yahoo it looks formidable and seems to be comprised of a mass of razor wire. But it wouldn't surprise me if refugees take their cue from the Palestinians who tunnelled under the massive concrete wall Israel built to fence off the Gaza Strip.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:34 AM

31,634 posts, read 14,607,060 times
Quote:
Looking at pictures of it on Yahoo it looks formidable and seems to be comprised of a mass of razor wire. But it wouldn't surprise me if refugees take their cue from the Palestinians who tunnelled under the massive concrete wall Israel built to fence off the Gaza Strip.
There are tunnel sensors.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:57 AM

20,899 posts, read 22,704,664 times
Quote:
You have the wrong part of the region. The Gaza Strip has a concrete barrier with Egypt in which the Egyptians installed it. It's actually taller and goes deeper than the one Israel uses in the West Bank. Nearly all of the Gaza Strip is surrounded by a metal fence similar to the one in the OP. If the Bulgarians take a cue from anyone, it will be the Egyptians who bulldozed everything within about a mile of that fence and shoots infiltrators on sight without warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or