Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 06:41 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
This is cracking me up. We both want to get the last word in! Yes, in my area (city, area, neighborhood) there are folks who both hire them, and then complain about the problems that come with them. It's crazy. It annoys the heck out of me. If you (not you, general folks) are going to hire a housekeeper paid under the table in cash and less than what you would pay a legal worker, then don't complain when their kids are enrolled in the schools and costing the taxpayers more because they are needing special services (bilingual, free lunch...). It's so annoying. People want their cake and to eat it too.
So who cares about those who hire them but also complain about them? I've never heard of such people but they would have to be among the minority so again who cares? The only annoying part to me is that they hire them, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 10:10 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So who cares about those who hire them but also complain about them? I've never heard of such people but they would have to be among the minority so again who cares? The only annoying part to me is that they hire them, period.
I care. :-) It's the hypocrisy and the fact that if they were not being hired, they would not come. I'm glad to hear you are annoyed by their being hired. It's not only for personal labor (pools, yard work...) but also big time companies such as home builders and factories. As long as people and companies hire them, they will keep coming.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I care. :-) It's the hypocrisy and the fact that if they were not being hired, they would not come. I'm glad to hear you are annoyed by their being hired. It's not only for personal labor (pools, yard work...) but also big time companies such as home builders and factories. As long as people and companies hire them, they will keep coming.
There are a minority of hypocrites in every issue. I don't care about what a minority of people think. They have no influence on the overall issues.

It isn't only jobs that bring illegal aliens here and those who hire them are breaking the law and need to be stopped. That's all that is important here not some so-called hypocricy of a few. It is also only a minority of Americans who hire them.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:58 AM

Quote:
There are a minority of hypocrites in every issue. I don't care about what a minority of people think. They have no influence on the overall issues.

It isn't only jobs that bring illegal aliens here and those who hire them are breaking the law and need to be stopped. That's all that is important here not some so-called hypocricy of a few. It is also only a minority of Americans who hire them.
Oh my goodness, Old Glory. Minority who hire them? Maybe in certain areas of the country who have never, or rarely, seen an illegal alien. I live in Texas where even my ancestors were very familiar with "migrant workers", as they were called back in my parents' (and earlier generations) time. I can't figure you out. Either you are very young and not familiar with the history of undocumented workers in this country, or you live in an area where this is a new issue. I do understand your frustration about illegal workers, just not understanding how you think this is something new, or that it's some sort of fringe situation.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:11 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
Oh my goodness, Old Glory. Minority who hire them? Maybe in certain areas of the country who have never, or rarely, seen an illegal alien. I live in Texas where even my ancestors were very familiar with "migrant workers", as they were called back in my parents' (and earlier generations) time. I can't figure you out. Either you are very young and not familiar with the history of undocumented workers in this country, or you live in an area where this is a new issue. I do understand your frustration about illegal workers, just not understanding how you think this is something new, or that it's some sort of fringe situation.

TXNGL, just wondering, maybe at that time they actually were "migrant workers". We get Mexicans up here in my part of Canada every summer, and they are called migrant workers. They get temporary work permits, pick tomatoes, work in greenhouses, etc, etc.

But......then they go home when the season is done, and the Government makes sure they do.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
TXNGL, just wondering, maybe at that time they actually were "migrant workers". We get Mexicans up here in my part of Canada every summer, and they are called migrant workers. They get temporary work permits, pick tomatoes, work in greenhouses, etc, etc.

But......then they go home when the season is done, and the Government makes sure they do.
Holy cow! All the way up in Canada? That is incredible. So what has happened here in my state, we had sort of (willy nilly) open borders for a long time. People would cross for work, school, doctor visits with hardly a paper. Kids from Mexican border towns, for instance, would cross every day to go to school here because there wasn't a school in their town. Right or wrong, I'm not sure people from other parts of the country realize that was always happening in certain border areas.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Then please provide a link that proves that the majority of employers hire illegal aliens. That simply isn't true! I am a senior citizen not a young adult. What does a history of illegal aliens (not undocumented) have to do with the above? Historically they came here to pick crops mostly. Now they are here by the millions and doing jobs that Americans have always been willing to do. That is just the tip of iceberg of the negative impact they have on this country in so many ways.

First you say you resent illegal aliens yourself and then you say you don't understand "my" frustration of them being here? WTH? You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Illegal immigration has reached critical mass so yes this is something new from the past when there were far fewer of them and they were mostly here picking crops. Anyone who calls illegal aliens "undocumented" is suspect to me.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:30 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Anyone notice that a lot of them are going to the island of Lesbos? Oh my goodness, all those new Lesbians!

Old 04-21-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Then please provide a link that proves that the majority of employers hire illegal aliens. That simply isn't true! I am a senior citizen not a young adult. What does a history of illegal aliens (not undocumented) have to do with the above? Historically they came here to pick crops mostly. Now they are here by the millions and doing jobs that Americans have always been willing to do. That is just the tip of iceberg of the negative impact they have on this country in so many ways.

First you say you resent illegal aliens yourself and then you say you don't understand "my" frustration of them being here? WTH? You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Illegal immigration has reached critical mass so yes this is something new from the past when there were far fewer of them and they were mostly here picking crops. Anyone who calls illegal aliens "undocumented" is suspect to me.
No, I said I DO understand your frustration! If you read that post again, you'll see that. I think you are so frustrated with ME that you saw "don't" instead of "do". And I've never said that a majority of employers hire illegal aliens. I don't even know where that came from?

Ah, I see. We are having a misunderstanding. When I questioned "minority that hire them" I was not saying a majority does, though it would read like that. I apologize. I was not putting a number on it, but I know where I am it is not a not a small number. And I think what frustrates me in these conversations is so many Americans don't know how many of these illegal immigrants are not just working in someone's kitchen, or mowing a yard, but are also employed by huge national companies (factories, home building...). It's a huge problem, we really do agree on that.

Last edited by TXNGL; 04-22-2015 at 12:04 AM..

Old 04-22-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
No, I said I DO understand your frustration! If you read that post again, you'll see that. I think you are so frustrated with ME that you saw "don't" instead of "do". And I've never said that a majority of employers hire illegal aliens. I don't even know where that came from?

Ah, I see. We are having a misunderstanding. When I questioned "minority that hire them" I was not saying a majority does, though it would read like that. I apologize. I was not putting a number on it, but I know where I am it is not a not a small number. And I think what frustrates me in these conversations is so many Americans don't know how many of these illegal immigrants are not just working in someone's kitchen, or mowing a yard, but are also employed by huge national companies (factories, home building...). It's a huge problem, we really do agree on that.
I did misread your post and I apologize for that but the point remains that you seem so wrought up with a few people who hire illegal aliens and then criticize them than you are with the majority who don't hire them and want them gone. As I said, anyone who calls them "undocumented" is suspect to me anyway.

I never said that "you" said that the majority of Americans or businesses hire illegal aliens. I agree though illegal immigration is a big problem and I mostly blame our government for not putting a stop to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration