U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 01:34 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,182,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
If you are serious about that and come here to contribute and not take handouts and have some sense of entitlement and actually do work, I certainly would not hate you. As to marrying an American, if that is your main strategy for getting in here it is a bit of a dishonest way to go about it.
One more thing, if you do want to come here, do it because you want to assimilate into our culture and don't become resentful because we don't adjust to the cultural or religious values of your old country.
I would have to say that it's a bit more than dishonest to use marriage as only a method to get here. It's outright illegal. If he happens to fall in love and it's a legitimate marriage, then fine. But marriage is not a tool to obtain entry to the United States.

As for culture and assimilation. It's sort of a combination. You want them to come here and assimilate but you also want them to bring and share their culture. We're a mashup of cultures that keep evolving and as such a nation, we have historically welcomed foreign cultures. But you should be able to work, live, educate, and follow the laws without special consideration.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 14,639,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possible_alien View Post
From what I've heard H1B visa is much difficult to get than J-1 visa (its for internship..max 1 year). So I think I maybe able to get it.

So what's my plan is:

1) Find a good internship there for an year
2) After living there for a year, I can be sure if I want to spent my whole life there or want to back to my home country
3) If I don't the country that much, I will be back home
4) Otherwise I will stay there illegally and maybe work too illegally there
5) I will keep doing the same until I find the love of my life (NO SHAM MARRIAGE)
6) I will marry her after some time and then become legal
7) We will spent the rest of our life happily then
Number 4 is the wrong thing to do.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:10 AM

7 posts, read 9,695 times
Ok! I got it. Thanks everyone for responses. Maybe I should consider moving to some other country that is more welcoming to immigrants or just stay at my home country

Old 04-14-2015, 01:51 PM

31,771 posts, read 14,639,851 times
Quote:
Ok! I got it. Thanks everyone for responses. Maybe I should consider moving to some other country that is more welcoming to immigrants or just stay at my home country
What do you mean "more" welcoming to immigrants? We allow in a million legal immigrants a year and it's more than any other country does. We just don't welcome illegal aliens. What country does or should?

Old 04-14-2015, 02:58 PM

7 posts, read 9,695 times
Sorry! I don't meant to offend you. What I meant to say was the countries where it is much easier to migrate than US.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:51 PM

5,864 posts, read 3,325,714 times
Quote:
Exactly!! Please do that!!!

Old 04-15-2015, 07:19 AM

11,759 posts, read 5,220,096 times
Just don't marry a hottie. Then people would be pissed. ;-)

But seriously, why don't you try to meet an American in your country? Maybe an exchange student or English teacher? They are more likely to be open to dating a foreign man. That's the best way.

I am pretty sure that if you are here illegally before you get married to an American citizen, you would not be able to get a green card or citizenship easily (or at all).

Mick

Old 04-15-2015, 10:41 PM

3,176 posts, read 1,354,909 times
One thing I like about all these immigrants from India and Asia over the past few decades is that it really is the best and brightest coming over here. This guy is intelligent... educated... a programmer! Half the kids I grew up with are worthless tweakers...

Sure it makes underachieving Americans resentful to see foreigners outcompeting them... but such is life. Overall I think these are great people, and they're more than welcome here as far as I'm concerned.

P-Alien, you will run into anti-immigrant attitudes like those expressed here, but it's mostly older people, and people in rural areas. If you're in an urban tech environment among young, educated people- such attitudes are far less common. Lots of people in tech fields are atheists too- possibly a majority. If you're the real deal and not just a troll (if you are, then hat's off to you- you're awesome)- PM me. I know several engineering firms in town who hire H1B's. And yes, that includes programmers.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:14 PM

3,176 posts, read 1,354,909 times
The nativist, ethnocentric attitudes expressed by so many in this thread are disgusting. If you're a Native American, I could understand it- but most of you are the descendants of immigrants. Your ancestors came here looking for a better life, and now you'd deny other people the right to do the same thing?!

I know 'liberty' to right-wingers has a different meaning than it does to most. To right-wingers, what it means is "liberty for ME... but YOU can **** off and die".

Just the same, lemme remind ya'll what's on the Statue of Liberty:

Quote:
Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:25 PM

21,429 posts, read 10,691,857 times
Quote:
Ok just posting my story here hoping to know what do you guys think about it.

I am a student and a programmer who is in good programmer category not exceptional. I have a dream of living in America. It is best country for computer nerds. I really don't want to move anywhere in world other than US. But the problem is there is no way I can get immigration through H1B visa. It is nearly impossible for me and there are no options available to me other marrying a american citizen.

So the only thing I can do is: Move there on a tourist visa or an internship, live illegally there, fall in love with an American citizen and then marry her. I don't want to break any law except living there illegally. I want to pay taxes properly and do everything that a good citizen should do.

The only thing that worries is finding my true love and getting married. I am strictly against sham marriage and have no intention of marrying if I don't love the person, but still I feel people will think I am using her for Green Card...even if the Green card is not the primary reason of marriage. Other than this I may want to marry as earlier as possible so I can get my Green Card and can visit my family in home country soon so this is going to raise eye brows again.

This is really complicated. Will you guys will hate me if I do that?
Why? American women are batshyte crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration