Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:14 PM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times

Advertisements

Well, ya can't do it that way...
My English hubby and I fell in love and it was very challenging doing everything by the book.
If we had gotten married when he came over for a visit, he would have been sent back to England and banned for 10 years to reenter the country. And he was here on a legal tourist visa btw!

If illegal immigration wasn't so overwhelming, maybe they could actually allow for a few more immigrants from other parts of the world, but it seems the people who are south of the border get special rights. They don't need no stinkin' papers... or immunization records, or lung x-ray in hand (like my husband had in a big envelope before they let him through the gate) or pay for stupid fees! Ug don't get me started!

Anyway, he's an American citizen now and pays a ton of taxes!

p.s. yeah, as someone who went through the whole thing legally, crossing every t and dotting every i, we get pretty annoyed when it comes to illegal immigration.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:56 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
The nativist, ethnocentric attitudes expressed by so many in this thread are disgusting. If you're a Native American, I could understand it- but most of you are the descendants of immigrants. Your ancestors came here looking for a better life, and now you'd deny other people the right to do the same thing?!

I know 'liberty' to right-wingers has a different meaning than it does to most. To right-wingers, what it means is "liberty for ME... but YOU can **** off and die".

Just the same, lemme remind ya'll what's on the Statue of Liberty:
You're 0-2 on this thread. It so happens that Europeans were the first to settle in America. And, the government DID NOT take other peoples' money to give to criminals. Jeez, they get everything under the sun handed to them while we work out tails off!

This is what the Statue of Liberty really says. Just a little reminder

Old 05-01-2015, 01:02 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
One thing I like about all these immigrants from India and Asia over the past few decades is that it really is the best and brightest coming over here. This guy is intelligent... educated... a programmer! Half the kids I grew up with are worthless tweakers...

Sure it makes underachieving Americans resentful to see foreigners outcompeting them... but such is life. Overall I think these are great people, and they're more than welcome here as far as I'm concerned.

P-Alien, you will run into anti-immigrant attitudes like those expressed here, but it's mostly older people, and people in rural areas. If you're in an urban tech environment among young, educated people- such attitudes are far less common. Lots of people in tech fields are atheists too- possibly a majority. If you're the real deal and not just a troll (if you are, then hat's off to you- you're awesome)- PM me. I know several engineering firms in town who hire H1B's. And yes, that includes programmers.

I think you misunderstand completely.
I have no issue at all with those who want to immigrate legally, it is the illegal part I do not agree with.

So far he hasn't said anything about coming to the USA legally simply because it will take too long so he is looking for a shortcut to get here, find the love of his life and be married within 30 seconds and get a green card. Even though he will marry the "love of his life" not just for a green card....

Old 05-01-2015, 01:06 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
The nativist, ethnocentric attitudes expressed by so many in this thread are disgusting. If you're a Native American, I could understand it- but most of you are the descendants of immigrants. Your ancestors came here looking for a better life, and now you'd deny other people the right to do the same thing?!

I know 'liberty' to right-wingers has a different meaning than it does to most. To right-wingers, what it means is "liberty for ME... but YOU can **** off and die".

Just the same, lemme remind ya'll what's on the Statue of Liberty:

I happen to be the Grand Child of a Legal immigrant from Germany when she was younger (Grandmother)
and my Grand Father is Cherokee.

So yes, I am absolutely against all illegal immigrants, I don't care what country they come from.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:47 AM

62,950 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
You're 0-2 on this thread. It so happens that Europeans were the first to settle in America. And, the government DID NOT take other peoples' money to give to criminals. Jeez, they get everything under the sun handed to them while we work out tails off!

This is what the Statue of Liberty really says. Just a little reminder
Right, and we allow in 1 million legal immigrants a year so who is being denied a right to a better life? It is just that there are more foreigners that want to come here for a better life that we can provide jobs and resources for but I guess we should commit national suicide and let them all in anyway? How do we provide jobs and resources for the 2 billion impoverished across the world that would love to come here?

When the Statue of Liberty was erected we were a wide open frontier with plenty of jobs and resources that's not true today. That's why we had had to implement immigration laws and quotas. What part of that aren't these pro-illegals getting? What are we, the flophouse and employment agency to the entire world?

Old 05-01-2015, 01:08 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
I don't know. It's very simple. I can't believe obama is continuing on with his illegal plan when a judge told him to stop. When is that going to be decided, does anyone know?

Old 05-08-2015, 05:58 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possible_alien View Post
This is really complicated. Will you guys will hate me if I do that?
Yes.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:20 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
It's not as easy if you think. I have an employee now who is a Mexican citizen. She married her childhood sweetheart who is a US citizen. They extended her resident visa abd right to work for one more year until she has a formal hearing. This very decent woman and her upstanding US citizen husband are under the microscope because the government has taken the stance that they may have married only to get her citizenship. Meanwhile, illegals.............. You fill in the blanks.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:11 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possible_alien View Post
Ok just posting my story here hoping to know what do you guys think about it.

I am a student and a programmer who is in good programmer category not exceptional. I have a dream of living in America. It is best country for computer nerds. I really don't want to move anywhere in world other than US. But the problem is there is no way I can get immigration through H1B visa. It is nearly impossible for me and there are no options available to me other marrying a american citizen.

So the only thing I can do is: Move there on a tourist visa or an internship, live illegally there, fall in love with an American citizen and then marry her. I don't want to break any law except living there illegally. I want to pay taxes properly and do everything that a good citizen should do.

The only thing that worries is finding my true love and getting married. I am strictly against sham marriage and have no intention of marrying if I don't love the person, but still I feel people will think I am using her for Green Card...even if the Green card is not the primary reason of marriage. Other than this I may want to marry as earlier as possible so I can get my Green Card and can visit my family in home country soon so this is going to raise eye brows again.

This is really complicated. Will you guys will hate me if I do that?
Your intention is clear. Your first priority is to come to the U.S. and stay. So, yes, you are looking for a sham marriage. People like you contribute to the destruction of this country. The H1B visa was created to allow big corporations to pay a slave wage, so they wouldn't have to pay an American a higher, more justified wage. The U.S. produces enough skilled workers as it is, and many colleges still deny college entrance to Americans who are qualified, all for the sake of diversity. The irony of course, is many people want to come here sight unseen. You probably have never even been here, yet still, somehow those visions of streets paved with gold, have become so stubborn in your mind (along with most foreigners), you think once you get here everything will come up roses.

Last edited by 9162; 05-09-2015 at 12:28 PM..

Old 05-18-2015, 11:04 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
If the guy marries an American gal, then he's legal. Regardless of what y'all church-ladies think about his marriage.

You folks wouldn't know 'freedom' if you saw it. Pretty sure you never have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration