U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 10:31 PM

17,994 posts, read 17,150,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think you misunderstand completely.
I have no issue at all with those who want to immigrate legally, it is the illegal part I do not agree with.

So far he hasn't said anything about coming to the USA legally simply because it will take too long so he is looking for a shortcut to get here, find the love of his life and be married within 30 seconds and get a green card. Even though he will marry the "love of his life" not just for a green card....
What people don't seem to understand is that it's not just SLOW, it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to legally immigrate to the US. My husband is a LEGAL immigrant and we met through the internet. I was sick and tired of the American men I was meeting (there are good American men, of course, but I sure wasn't finding them.)

My husband takes no one's job away, we're retired. But he does spend his pension over here so he is contributing to our economy, not that of his home country.

Even after he came over and met me, took me back to his country, and then we finally started the LEGAL IMMIGRATION process, it took years. So it's not a quick way into the country. It was stressful, very confusing with tons of paperwork to submit and high fees to pay each time you submitted a packet of paperwork, payment in his country for a background check and for a medical exam and vaccines.

We need to make it easier for good, law abiding people to come here legally as they always have. At the same time, crack down and deport the illegals.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:32 AM

31,490 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
What people don't seem to understand is that it's not just SLOW, it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to legally immigrate to the US. My husband is a LEGAL immigrant and we met through the internet. I was sick and tired of the American men I was meeting (there are good American men, of course, but I sure wasn't finding them.)

My husband takes no one's job away, we're retired. But he does spend his pension over here so he is contributing to our economy, not that of his home country.

Even after he came over and met me, took me back to his country, and then we finally started the LEGAL IMMIGRATION process, it took years. So it's not a quick way into the country. It was stressful, very confusing with tons of paperwork to submit and high fees to pay each time you submitted a packet of paperwork, payment in his country for a background check and for a medical exam and vaccines.

We need to make it easier for good, law abiding people to come here legally as they always have. At the same time, crack down and deport the illegals.
I have no problem with streamlining our immigration policies so that a potential immigrant doesn't have to go through so many hoops to migrate here. If you mean by "making it easier" increasing our quotas then no, I am not for that as we have a shortage of jobs and resources right now with a rapidly increasing population. By the way, the legal process starts in one's homeland not on our soil and well it should. IMO, someone shouldn't be able to migrate here simply because they have a relative here either.

In keeping with this forum about illegal immigration there are far more foreigners that want to migrate here than we can accomodate and that is the reason they come here illegally instead. That is unacceptable because we have those quotas in place good reasons and they are violating our immigration laws.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:38 AM

10,830 posts, read 3,808,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possible_alien View Post
Ok just posting my story here hoping to know what do you guys think about it.

I am a student and a programmer who is in good programmer category not exceptional. I have a dream of living in America. It is best country for computer nerds. I really don't want to move anywhere in world other than US. But the problem is there is no way I can get immigration through H1B visa. It is nearly impossible for me and there are no options available to me other marrying a american citizen.

So the only thing I can do is: Move there on a tourist visa or an internship, live illegally there, fall in love with an American citizen and then marry her. I don't want to break any law except living there illegally. I want to pay taxes properly and do everything that a good citizen should do.

The only thing that worries is finding my true love and getting married. I am strictly against sham marriage and have no intention of marrying if I don't love the person, but still I feel people will think I am using her for Green Card...even if the Green card is not the primary reason of marriage. Other than this I may want to marry as earlier as possible so I can get my Green Card and can visit my family in home country soon so this is going to raise eye brows again.

This is really complicated. Will you guys will hate me if I do that?
Have cake; eat it, too.

Good luck with that. And my compliments to your future wife.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
And I feel the same way when I think about marrying an American citizen with hidden intention of citizenship. I have full intention of telling all the truth to my partner before marriage. But still I feel like I am using her.
That's because you are.

If she's dumb enough to still go along with it, well, that's on her.

Quote:
And I think I have never broken a single law ever in my life so far. And I don't want to break one in the future.
Yes, you do.

You've already said you want to live here illegally.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
From what I've heard H1B visa is much difficult to get than J-1 visa (its for internship..max 1 year). So I think I maybe able to get it.

So what's my plan is:

1) Find a good internship there for an year
2) After living there for a year, I can be sure if I want to spent my whole life there or want to back to my home country
3) If I don't the country that much, I will be back home
4) Otherwise I will stay there illegally and maybe work too illegally there
5) I will keep doing the same until I find the love of my life (NO SHAM MARRIAGE)
6) I will marry her after some time and then become legal
7) We will spent the rest of our life happily then
I'm sure she'll be just delighted to know that you only married her because you loved her. She'll be sure to recognize that if you show her what you've written here.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Ok! I got it. Thanks everyone for responses. Maybe I should consider moving to some other country that is more welcoming to immigrants or just stay at my home country
Good luck finding another country that is more welcoming to immigrants.

And there is no other country that welcomes illegal immigrants, which is what you were planning.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Sorry! I don't meant to offend you. What I meant to say was the countries where it is much easier to migrate than US.
What countries would those be?

Old 06-08-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
One thing I like about all these immigrants from India and Asia over the past few decades is that it really is the best and brightest coming over here. This guy is intelligent... educated... a programmer! Half the kids I grew up with are worthless tweakers...

Sure it makes underachieving Americans resentful to see foreigners outcompeting them... but such is life. Overall I think these are great people, and they're more than welcome here as far as I'm concerned.

P-Alien, you will run into anti-immigrant attitudes like those expressed here, but it's mostly older people, and people in rural areas. If you're in an urban tech environment among young, educated people- such attitudes are far less common. Lots of people in tech fields are atheists too- possibly a majority. If you're the real deal and not just a troll (if you are, then hat's off to you- you're awesome)- PM me. I know several engineering firms in town who hire H1B's. And yes, that includes programmers.
We should expel certain Americans in addition to not welcoming certain immigrants.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
The nativist, ethnocentric attitudes expressed by so many in this thread are disgusting. If you're a Native American, I could understand it- but most of you are the descendants of immigrants. Your ancestors came here looking for a better life, and now you'd deny other people the right to do the same thing?!

I know 'liberty' to right-wingers has a different meaning than it does to most. To right-wingers, what it means is "liberty for ME... but YOU can **** off and die".

Just the same, lemme remind ya'll what's on the Statue of Liberty:
It's a sentimental poem, not a law. It was written when we had a wide open frontier. Those days are long gone.

Native Americans came here from Asia. Whoever was here before them is long since gone, but probably considered the "Native Americans" to be illegal immigrants or, more to the point, invaders and interlopers.

The immigrants who came here in the 19th century came legally.

The people who settled here in the 18th and 17th centuries did not break the law coming here, because there was no country here for them to illegally immigrate to. They were colonists and citizens of England.

You left wingers -- tell me what would be the maximum number of immigrants you would allow here.

One billion?

Four billion?

Then tell me how we would accomodate them when we have millions of unemployed Americans, a drought in the West, etc.

By the way, I've never gotten an answer to this very simple question -- other than to be called a racist (ho-hum; yawn.)

Last edited by dechatelet; 06-08-2015 at 06:19 AM..

Old 06-08-2015, 08:11 AM

31,490 posts, read 14,573,470 times
I have to laugh when some posters claim we want to deny others a better life. We allow in 1 million legal immigrants a year in keeping with our ability to provide them with jobs and resources while also keeping our population growth in check. Any more than that would be committing national suicide. I also have to laugh because every country in the world has immigration laws and quotas yet "we" are the nativist ones? I have to wonder if they even know the meanings of that word and bigotry and racism. Apparently, not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration