Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 04:20 AM

231 posts, read 402,024 times

Advertisements

I never understood why Mexicans, Dominicans etc. who are immigrants to this country identify as Dominican, Mexican etc.

I'm Italian American, but that's correct because my ethnic origin is Italian. Italy is not a settler country and Italians are indigenous to the boot. However, Latin America is all settler nations. You cannot be of Dominican ethnicity, Dominicans are just mixed race people born of the mix between Black Slaves, Spaniards, and natives to a lesser extent. Same with Mexicans, the majority of Mexicans are mestizo, a product of natives and Spaniards. I don't understand why those people of this heritage born here identify as Mexican or Dominican because those aren't ethnic terms, just nationalities. An Argentinian of Italian descent who comes here and naturalized is not an Argentinian American, but an Italian American because Argentinian isn't an ethnic group, just a nationality. Conversely, if I immigrated to Canada I wouldn't be an American Canadian, I would be an Italian Canadian.

The proper term for second generation Hispanics would either be "Mixed Race American" or if they are white "Spanish American/Italian American" etc. New world nationalities are not ethnic groups, a Chinese American is an American of Chinese descent, but a Mexican American is not an American of Mexican descent because Mexican is simply a passport designation/nationality, not an ethnic group. Mexicans are Mixed Race and thus in the second generation should identify as just "mixed" because that's what is correct.

It seems almost disloyal because you are in fact identifying as a separate nationally. Every American citizens nationality is American that's it. That's why I am suspicious of someone who identifies as a Mexican American because they are identifying as a foreign nationality. Why don't they just see themselves as Americans of mixed/mestizo descent which is what they are.

Your opinion?

Last edited by SIJ95; 04-14-2015 at 04:29 AM..

Old 04-14-2015, 05:34 AM

75 posts, read 89,851 times
For the same reason if you were to come to Europe you'd be considered American rather than Italian.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudio-claudio View Post
For the same reason if you were to come to Europe you'd be considered American rather than Italian.
But ethnically my blood is Italian, whereas someone born in California to parents from Sinaloa is not ethnically Mexican because Mexican is just a nationality, their ethnicity is mixed race. If I immigrated to another country my kids wouldn't be of United Statesian descent because it's a nationality not an ethnicity.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:20 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslandJake1995 View Post
I never understood why Mexicans, Dominicans etc. who are immigrants to this country identify as Dominican, Mexican etc.

I'm Italian American, but that's correct because my ethnic origin is Italian. Italy is not a settler country and Italians are indigenous to the boot. However, Latin America is all settler nations. You cannot be of Dominican ethnicity, Dominicans are just mixed race people born of the mix between Black Slaves, Spaniards, and natives to a lesser extent. Same with Mexicans, the majority of Mexicans are mestizo, a product of natives and Spaniards. I don't understand why those people of this heritage born here identify as Mexican or Dominican because those aren't ethnic terms, just nationalities. An Argentinian of Italian descent who comes here and naturalized is not an Argentinian American, but an Italian American because Argentinian isn't an ethnic group, just a nationality. Conversely, if I immigrated to Canada I wouldn't be an American Canadian, I would be an Italian Canadian.

The proper term for second generation Hispanics would either be "Mixed Race American" or if they are white "Spanish American/Italian American" etc. New world nationalities are not ethnic groups, a Chinese American is an American of Chinese descent, but a Mexican American is not an American of Mexican descent because Mexican is simply a passport designation/nationality, not an ethnic group. Mexicans are Mixed Race and thus in the second generation should identify as just "mixed" because that's what is correct.

It seems almost disloyal because you are in fact identifying as a separate nationally. Every American citizens nationality is American that's it. That's why I am suspicious of someone who identifies as a Mexican American because they are identifying as a foreign nationality. Why don't they just see themselves as Americans of mixed/mestizo descent which is what they are.

Your opinion?
Not quite true: an Argentine of 100 percent Italian family would be counted as "Hispanic" in the US. Tho an American born and raised in the US of 100 percent Italian family, even with a Spanish or German last name, would be an anglo white here in Arizona.

"Mexican" American against using "Mestizo": many Hispanics between themselves are white supremacist like as in they look down on Black and Indians so they hide behind being Mexican, Dominican and so on. Word is many Dominicans; even those who are straight up "Black" in looks; especially the ladies, they not only DON'T ID as "Black", when they do get married, it's many times to an anglo white American here in the US.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:35 AM

I don't get it. I know a guy here in NYC of Dominican parentage who is black as the ace of spades but won't ID as black, it's insane to me. It's just as insane that "Mexicans" check white and not mixed race on the census...some Mexicans are white but the majority are not. In the USA white means European descended, if you look like George Lopez you're not of Euro descent at least not wholly.

I've always been under the impression that hispanic means you're of a culture that originated in Hispania (Iberia/Spain and Portugal) and mother tongue Spanish or Portuguese. I can see why an Argie expat would say Hispanic but why would their children? You're just Italian/Spanish/German etc American via Argentina. Lots of white folks in the south especially the Carolinas are of English descent via indentured servants in Bermuda, Jamaica, the Bahamas but they identify as WASP not Bahamian because it's your actual heritage that counts.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:01 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Perhaps familiarizing yourself with the definition of ethnicity would be very helpful for you.

Ethnicity:

1. an ethnic group; a social group that shares a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like:
Representatives of several ethnicities were present.
2. ethnic traits, background, allegiance, or association:

Based on that, Dominican, Mexicans and plenty other groups are in fact ethnicities. Learn to respect other ethnic groups.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:10 AM

It is impossible to be of Mexican descent. Mexico is a new world settler colony, same with the Dominican Republic. Someone of Dominican parentage is not a Dominican American, they are a black/mixed American. Your heritage is what counts

I don't respect people who get the benefits of America without identifying as American.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:55 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslandJake1995 View Post
It is impossible to be of Mexican descent. Mexico is a new world settler colony, same with the Dominican Republic. Someone of Dominican parentage is not a Dominican American, they are a black/mixed American. Your heritage is what counts

I don't respect people who get the benefits of America without identifying as American.
Clearly you don't understand the definition of ethnicity.

"Black" is not an ethnicity or a heritage, it is a color. NO ONE was "black" until being brought to the Western Hemisphere and having their actual ethnic identities stripped from them. Ethnic identities are Yoruba, Ibo, Hausa, Akan, Ewe, Kongo...over 45 different ethnicities. Please don't attempt to speak about and rename those ethnicities and heritages about which you have no earthly clue.

In the case of Dominicans, Mexicans and every other ethnic group from the West. They formed new and unique cultures our of their experiences here in the U.S. You don't get define their identity just because your nation of origin has been around longer. Last time I checked, people of these origins identify as Mexican-American, Dominican-American, Cuban-Americans...acknowledging their nationality and country of descent.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:57 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,488 times
This whole thing is silly. How interesting that you left out Americans from this. Lots of Americans have a mixed background of various different nationalities. If such an American emigrates to Canada, how shall they call themselves by your definition? They can't go by "American-Canadian".

Old 04-14-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
This whole thing is silly. How interesting that you left out Americans from this. Lots of Americans have a mixed background of various different nationalities. If such an American emigrates to Canada, how shall they call themselves by your definition? They can't go by "American-Canadian".
By their ethnicity. They can be a "black Canadian" or an "Irish Canadian" or a mixed Canadian etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration