U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-18-2008, 11:03 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,986,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
They should go with their parents. If I were to move cross country, I would not have to debate whether or not to take my children with me. Neither should they. Their parents did not speak English when they came to the US. They managed and so will their children. Besides, 'language immersion' (learning to speak a language by living in another country) is one of the best ways to become fluent in another tongue.
They have ever been to Mexico? Then this is a great opportunity for them to learn about their heritage and experience their culture first hand.
When the children are 18, having lived in both countries, they can then decide where they would like to settle down.
I could never understand a deported parent NOT taking their kids, American citizen or not!! What kind of a person would do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-18-2008, 10:11 PM

45,685 posts, read 29,877,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I could never understand a deported parent NOT taking their kids, American citizen or not!! What kind of a person would do that?

Only the kind of people who had their children to manipulate the system and get food stamps and other government handouts because of them.

Then when they are deported and the children are no longer of any use to them, they leave them behind -- but all the while dabbing their eyes with a kleenex soaking up crocodile tears as a sympathy ploy -- still trying to manipulate the system with their children.

Unread 01-18-2008, 11:37 PM

4,834 posts, read 3,792,806 times
Cool Send em all back and keep them there

Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I hear over and over about how the illegal aliens in our country should go back to their home country and wait in line to come here legally like everyone else. That statement does not make any sense because if they did go home after being here illegally, why would the American government allow them to even be eligible to come back to the USA? They broke our laws by overstaying their VISA or sneaking across our border. They also likely broke our laws by stealing someones identity and using a fake social security number. Why would we let someone like this back in America ever?

What do you think about letting current illegal aliens in a line to become legal US Citizens-- when there are so many people overseas that have not committed a crime and want to come here that may be more beneficial to our society?
NO AMNESTY! They broke our laws once and they continue to do so while they are living here illegally.

Unread 01-19-2008, 11:27 AM

That's right -- no amnesty.

There are plenty of people throughout the world who have already proven their willingness to abide by the laws.

When illegals are deported, any jobs they filled should be filled legally -- first by American citizens, and if there truly is a worker shortage -- (not very likely with a big recession on the horizon) then a legal immigrant should be sponsored by that employer and brought in legally.

And no preference should be given to those who chose to break the law. They should wait along with all the others. And immigration should be fair and balanced among all countries.

Unread 01-19-2008, 12:44 PM

21,157 posts, read 24,241,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's right -- no amnesty.

There are plenty of people throughout the world who have already proven their willingness to abide by the laws.

When illegals are deported, any jobs they filled should be filled legally -- first by American citizens, and if there truly is a worker shortage -- (not very likely with a big recession on the horizon) then a legal immigrant should be sponsored by that employer and brought in legally.

And no preference should be given to those who chose to break the law. They should wait along with all the others. And immigration should be fair and balanced among all countries.
Again; malamute, you nailed it in a nutshell.

And; upcoming recession will likely be more severe than the ca. 1981 downturn------although, I suspect that it will smack the 'Yuppie types' more than regular working Americans.

Unread 01-19-2008, 01:33 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,318,389 times
In any case, businesses need to be forced to stop hiring illegals now!

Unread 01-31-2008, 03:57 PM

44 posts, read 60,823 times
Yes, so start packing up illegals, it's time to head to the back of the line

Unread 01-31-2008, 04:17 PM

27,239 posts, read 23,951,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I hear over and over about how the illegal aliens in our country should go back to their home country and wait in line to come here legally like everyone else. That statement does not make any sense because if they did go home after being here illegally, why would the American government allow them to even be eligible to come back to the USA? They broke our laws by overstaying their VISA or sneaking across our border. They also likely broke our laws by stealing someones identity and using a fake social security number. Why would we let someone like this back in America ever?

What do you think about letting current illegal aliens in a line to become legal US Citizens-- when there are so many people overseas that have not committed a crime and want to come here that may be more beneficial to our society?

No, I think they should try to fix their own country.

Unread 01-31-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
What about the children who are born here and are legal citizens?

Some of them do not even speak spanish and have never been to Mexico, what should happen to them?
How many children of illegals actually speak no Spanish at all? Two? I'm not sure there would be that many because in fact almost all illegals teach their children their own language.

But even if there are two or so -- children pick up languages very quickly -- in Mexico they will have the immersion way of learning Spanish and will have no problem -- especially because they've already been exposed to Spanish since birth.

We should not steal the children of deportees. We should encourage family unity and allow them to take their children home -- but obviously some will abandon their children if they are no longer getting welfare for them.

Unread 01-31-2008, 08:38 PM

3,432 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
How many children of illegals actually speak no Spanish at all? Two? I'm not sure there would be that many because in fact almost all illegals teach their children their own language.

But even if there are two or so -- children pick up languages very quickly -- in Mexico they will have the immersion way of learning Spanish and will have no problem -- especially because they've already been exposed to Spanish since birth.

We should not steal the children of deportees. We should encourage family unity and allow them to take their children home -- but obviously some will abandon their children if they are no longer getting welfare for them.

There are no figures confirming that claim but you can sure bet your A** they speak English flawlessly. Spanish was MY first language, and when I started kindergarten, I learned English in roughly 3 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration