U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 05:58 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
YOUR PREJUDICES, are showing!
Prejudices?

The language of commerce, etc. in this country is English.

If in Mexico; if I did not speak Spanish.......oh well, that certainly would not be SOB's problem-----it would be mine.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:54 PM

162 posts, read 293,964 times
Default Bilingual people speaks 2 languages, and it is really cool.

Hey, everybody needs to READ any post before adding a new one.
Bilingual preferred means they deal or work with customers who speak English and/or another language. Whats wrong with this? Nothing. And by the way, Bilingual means two languages, not necessarily English and Spanish.
In many countries, Elementary and High School kids learn English as a second language, and is not an optional subject. Thats why when we go somewhere else in the world, they talk to us in English, which is
wonderful and makes of our visit a more enjoyable experience. We should take a foreign language like we do with maths, and it will be very handy when we look for employment.
Gracias, Thanks, Danke, Grazie...

Old 03-12-2008, 09:00 PM

157 posts, read 276,952 times
Cool Logic

America is One Country, One Flag, and One Language. We will not change it because people will not speak English. If they don't like our English they have come to the wrong country. They knew this was an English speaking Country BEFORE they got here.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:14 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,735,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOGIC View Post
America is One Country, One Flag, and One Language. We will not change it because people will not speak English. If they don't like our English they have come to the wrong country. They knew this was an English speaking Country BEFORE they got here.
If they are bilingual say Spanish/English it is going on all the time in Arizona, it does not mean you have to be able to speak it, but I doubt very much it is going to change just because some Americans don't want it, there are also Americans that don't care either way and others that like speaking Spanish with the mexican people. I doubt if that is going to change, it does not take your right away to speak only English.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:17 PM

1,268 posts, read 818,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOGIC View Post
America is one country. America has one flag. However, it does not have one language. It is made up of immigrants from different backgrounds, cultures and languages. English as the de facto language is fine how it is. You need to speak some level of English to become a citizen anyway.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
If they are bilingual say Spanish/English it is going on all the time in Arizona, it does not mean you have to be able to speak it, but I doubt very much it is going to change just because some Americans don't want it, there are also Americans that don't care either way and others that like speaking Spanish with the mexican people. I doubt if that is going to change, it does not take your right away to speak only English.
There is a public school on E McDowell in Phx that used to have 'Eschula' (sp) in its title---------no more!

Whatever the phrase is; it is now posted in English.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:08 PM

451 posts, read 235,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
There is a public school on E McDowell in Phx that used to have 'Eschula' (sp) in its title---------no more!

Whatever the phrase is; it is now posted in English.
[Mod Cut] there is no such word as "eschula" in spanish, LOL.

Last edited by ontheroad; 03-13-2008 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: Unnecessarily personal response.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:18 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
[Mod Cut] there is no such word as "eschula" in spanish, LOL.
I'm fairly certain the word was 'escuela'... It means 'school'.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:38 PM

1,268 posts, read 818,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I'm fairly certain the word was 'escuela'... It means 'school'.
Yea, thats what I thought as well. Never heard of an Eschula.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:53 PM

Hence the '(sp)' after the word in question; I was not 100% sure of the spelling either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or