U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 12:33 AM

451 posts, read 235,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I'm fairly certain the word was 'escuela'... It means 'school'.
Bravo!!!!!!

Old 03-16-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Hence the '(sp)' after the word in question; I was not 100% sure of the spelling either.
Yeah, it's a little hard to make a point when we have problems with spelling, I understand.
I'm not surprised with all the Spanish influnce in our country, after all Spanish
has been present in the United States for more than 100 years before english, Juan Ponce de Leon established the first city in the United States in the early 16th century(St. Augustine, FL), Jamestown and the pilgrims arrived over 100 years latter, by that time the Spanish had spread in the south, explored the Mississipi, and had settlements in Texas, Arizona, California, etc., centuries before the wild west "conquest". Spanish will always be an integral part in the United States.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:59 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Yeah, it's a little hard to make a point when we have problems with spelling, I understand.
I'm not surprised with all the Spanish influnce in our country, after all Spanish
has been present in the United States for more than 100 years before english, Juan Ponce de Leon established the first city in the United States in the early 16th century(St. Augustine, FL), Jamestown and the pilgrims arrived over 100 years latter, by that time the Spanish had spread in the south, explored the Mississipi, and had settlements in Texas, Arizona, California, etc., centuries before the wild west "conquest". Spanish will always be an integral part in the United States.
Big effing deal, is there a point you're trying to make?

Old 03-16-2008, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Big effing deal, is there a point you're trying to make?
Yes, the point is that Spanish has been an important part of our culture for a long time, nothing else.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:44 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Yes, the point is that Spanish has been an important part of our culture for a long time, nothing else.
Not really; aside from 4-5 states; few people in this country speak Spanish.

Besides: the cold reality is that outside of Latin America and Spain; Spanish is not a significant language whereas English is the lingua franca of the world.

Hell; more people may speak (Mandarin) Chinese than English, but most of those speakers are concentrated in China.

As for this ESL crap: I am 100% against it-------people here legally need to be forced to learn English or they will be ostracized by reality. The only time I can see using any language outside of English in official business here in the USA is for public health and safety concerns.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:04 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,322,321 times
The whole arguement it silly.
You can speak any language you want but official things should be limited to English. I havent read thru the entire thread but the truth is we cant cater to one immigrant group & igonre the others.
I get notices in Spanish all the time from my childrens schools, but no French, Portuguese, Italian, Greek, Arabic, Russian, Polish, Indian, Pakistani, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Hundi or anything else.

My grandparents came here & had to learn English to live. They spoke Italian in the homes & among other Italians but didn't expect others to learn it. They didn't suffer because my dads school couldn't speak Italian. They owned buisnesses & didn't require Italian speakers for employees. A handful still run Italian resturants & hire English speaking people without a hitch.
My great grandmother was the only one that never spoke English but not because the country made concesions for her. She just stayed in the family group, never drove or worked. If she wanted a job she woulda learned English.

Theres nothing wrong & everything right about having pride in your heritage. But theres nothing right about expecting a forien population to learn YOURS when you move to their country.

I'm not interested in hearing about how long the Spanish were in tiny corners of our country in miniscule populations. I live in New England, people spoke the Algonquin language here for a thousand years before Columbus was born. Should we use it in official paperwork?

Old 03-16-2008, 08:09 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
The whole arguement it silly.
You can speak any language you want but official things should be limited to English. I havent read thru the entire thread but the truth is we cant cater to one immigrant group & igonre the others.
I get notices in Spanish all the time from my childrens schools, but no French, Portuguese, Italian, Greek, Arabic, Russian, Polish, Indian, Pakistani, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Hundi or anything else.

My grandparents came here & had to learn English to live. They spoke Italian in the homes & among other Italians but didn't expect others to learn it. They didn't suffer because my dads school couldn't speak Italian. They owned buisnesses & didn't require Italian speakers for employees. A handful still run Italian resturants & hire English speaking people without a hitch.
My great grandmother was the only one that never spoke English but not because the country made concesions for her. She just stayed in the family group, never drove or worked. If she wanted a job she woulda learned English.

Theres nothing wrong & everything right about having pride in your heritage. But theres nothing right about expecting a forien population to learn YOURS when you move to their country.

I'm not interested in hearing about how long the Spanish were in tiny corners of our country in miniscule populations. I live in New England, people spoke the Algonquin language here for a thousand years before Columbus was born. Should we use it in official paperwork?
BRAVO!

My father is an immigrant from Hungary and he learned English------to the point that he used that language in his line of work writing scripts for overseas broadcast by the VOA.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:14 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,016,842 times
My ancestors came her from jolly ole Wales in England.
Im no more a Welshman nor and English man following the Crown than I am a bird.
My ancestors came here in 1756 to fight the french. They stayed, the French didnt.
Hell, the last time I listened to a real Welshman speak I was goin........Huh??? after every third syllable...........They speak english very funny over there.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Not really; aside from 4-5 states; few people in this country speak Spanish.

Besides: the cold reality is that outside of Latin America and Spain; Spanish is not a significant language whereas English is the lingua franca of the world.

Hell; more people may speak (Mandarin) Chinese than English, but most of those speakers are concentrated in China.

As for this ESL crap: I am 100% against it-------people here legally need to be forced to learn English or they will be ostracized by reality. The only time I can see using any language outside of English in official business here in the USA is for public health and safety concerns.
Yeah, sure, Spnanish is hardly spoken in the U.S. lol !!!, even the young generations realize the importance of Spanish and over 50% of all middle and high school take Spanish, if you have hungarian or whatever other insignificant eastern european heritage you would not expect it to be part
of our culture, however like I mentioned above, Spanish has been an important part of the culture in the U.S. for more than 100 years than english, not only that it is expected to grow significantly in the next few decades.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:16 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,958,369 times
Am retired in Baja Mexico. I have to speak some spanish in order to communicate. Crossing the border on going to the BANK, the teller spoke to me in SPANISH. NO WAY do I look Hispanic. So I said to him in SPANISH " In Mexico it is neccessary for me to speak SPANISH, in the USA I speak ENGLISH" He apoligized to me. One hr later a grocery cashier spoke to me in SPANISH. I replied to her the same way as I did to the Bank Teller. She also apoligized to me. I was not looking for any apoligy, only to be addressed to in ENGLISH which the last time I looked at the CONSTITUTION it was written in ENGLISH. We do not need multiple languages to be spoken inorder to complete every day common business purchase transactions. Stefhen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or