U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 05:07 PM

451 posts, read 235,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Am retired in Baja Mexico. I have to speak some spanish in order to communicate. Crossing the border on going to the BANK, the teller spoke to me in SPANISH. NO WAY do I look Hispanic. So I said to him in SPANISH " In Mexico it is neccessary for me to speak SPANISH, in the USA I speak ENGLISH" He apoligized to me. One hr later a grocery cashier spoke to me in SPANISH. I replied to her the same way as I did to the Bank Teller. She also apoligized to me. I was not looking for any apoligy, only to be addressed to in ENGLISH which the last time I looked at the CONSTITUTION it was written in ENGLISH. We do not need multiple languages to be spoken inorder to complete every day common business purchase transactions. Stefhen
Two languages is always better than one, look at japan, china, spain, switzerland, netherlands, Germany, all more advanced to U.S. culturaly
and all embrace second and third languages, in our case, so much easier
Spanish is an important part of our culture and will only continue growing.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:36 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,736,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Two languages is always better than one, look at japan, china, spain, switzerland, netherlands, Germany, all more advanced to U.S. culturaly
Yes and Spanish is a beautiful language, and as you pointed out it will only continue growing. I think it is great they are teaching it in the primary grades as they will pick it up a lot quicker.
Sassy

Old 03-16-2008, 07:39 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,646,709 times
Quote:
#1: China is not an advanced country; maybe 150 million of their citizens are the socio-economic equal of the rest of the countries that you listed whereas over 1 Billion are worse off than a typical Mexican------in Mexico.

#2: The second language that you alluded to in probably all of the above nations is English---------not Spanish.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
#1: China is not an advanced country; maybe 150 million of their citizens are the socio-economic equal of the rest of the countries that you listed whereas over 1 Billion are worse off than a typical Mexican------in Mexico.

#2: The second language that you alluded to in probably all of the above nations is English---------not Spanish.
Definetely, english is the most common second language in the world, Spanish
is by far the second most common language in the US, and is growing larger.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:24 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,017,748 times
Quote:
Definetely, english is the most common second language in the world, Spanish
is by far the second most common language in the US, and is growing larger.
But its only growing because of the influx of illegals.
Get your facts straight
Having grown up in Oklahoma which does have a large English speaking spanish population.
Only in the last 10 years have I begun to be assaulted with spanish only conversation.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Get your facts straight
Having grown up in Oklahoma which does have a large English speaking spanish population.
Only in the last 10 years have I begun to be assaulted with spanish only conversation.

Maybe in part, but the fact is that is growing into states such as yours,
the fact is that it persists, english is always learned by the incoming youngers, no need for esl, however several generations latter you still see
hispanics being perfectly bilingual, I see nothing wrong with it in fact the more bilingual you are, the more intelligent in other areas you become.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Maybe in part, but the fact is that is growing into states such as yours,
the fact is that it persists, english is always learned by the incoming youngers, no need for esl, however several generations latter you still see
hispanics being perfectly bilingual, I see nothing wrong with it in fact the more bilingual you are, the more intelligent in other areas you become.
You also better accept the fact that more and more Mexicans are becoming fluent in English.

Remember that throughout at least recent history certain languages rose to prominence whereas others faded out.

Right now English is the language of the world (science, diplomacy, aviation, etc); as for what will supplant it, hard to say. I doubt it will be Spanish and outside of China; Mandarin, etc. are not widely spoken.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:54 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,326,460 times
Nobody is saying learning Spanish is bad or wrong. I'm not anyway.
But I cant sit still for such ethnic preferential treatment, its racism pure & simple to help the Spanish community by printing govt documents in Spanish & providing more readily available aid for Spanish speaking people if your not going to do it for everyone else.
I speak fair spanish myself having learned it from working alongside different nationalities of Spanish speaking immigrants. Generally they want to learn the language & arent the ones pushing for this trash. The ones pushing for it are the same liberal whiners that want to right every wrong everywhere as long as the American taxpayer bears the burden.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Nobody is saying learning Spanish is bad or wrong. I'm not anyway.
But I cant sit still for such ethnic preferential treatment, its racism pure & simple to help the Spanish community by printing govt documents in Spanish & providing more readily available aid for Spanish speaking people if your not going to do it for everyone else.
I speak fair spanish myself having learned it from working alongside different nationalities of Spanish speaking immigrants. Generally they want to learn the language & arent the ones pushing for this trash. The ones pushing for it are the same liberal whiners that want to right every wrong everywhere as long as the American taxpayer bears the burden.
I may be an Old School Liberal but; your post is spot on IMHO

Old 03-16-2008, 11:14 PM

1,268 posts, read 819,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Get your facts straight
Oh really? I've lived in California all of my life and have NEVER resorted to speaking Spanish to anyone. In fact, the only time I use my Spanish is when I'm around family and because my Grand parents don't speak good English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or