U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 11:17 PM

451 posts, read 208,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You also better accept the fact that more and more Mexicans are becoming fluent in English.

Remember that throughout at least recent history certain languages rose to prominence whereas others faded out.

Right now English is the language of the world (science, diplomacy, aviation, etc); as for what will supplant it, hard to say. I doubt it will be Spanish and outside of China; Mandarin, etc. are not widely spoken.
By all means AB, I'm saying that first(if young) not even second generation hispanics learn english proficiently, the only difference is that they tend to keep Spanish in the family for generations to come. I am against ESL and other special education programs, they are nothing but a big time waste of money, a young kid of any nationality assimilates english within one to two semesters, esl or not. This no child left behind program is another big time waste, my daughter was doing poorly in third grade the school persuaded us
to put her on an individualized program $$$$$ from taxpayers, it was all beaurocracy and time wasted it did not make her improve at all, we then discontinued the program and made more effort at home to help her, two
years latter she is in the top 20% of her class.
Spnish btw is spoken not only all over the americas also in the caribean and africa in total more than 20 countries.

I do not foresee though, any languge replacing english as the universal/ international language of communication. I know that this makes you very happy.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:21 PM

1,267 posts, read 708,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
By all means AB, I'm saying that first(if young) not even second generation hispanics learn english proficiently, the only difference is that they tend to keep Spanish in the family for generations to come. I am against ESL and other special education programs, they are nothing but a big time waste of money, a young kid of any nationality assimilates english within one to two semesters, esl or not. This no child left behind program is another big time waste, my daughter was doing poorly in third grade the school persuaded us
to put her on an individualized program $$$$$ from taxpayers, it was all beaurocracy and time wasted it did not make her improve at all, we then discontinued the program and made more effort at home to help her, two
years latter she is in the top 20% of her class.
Spnish btw is spoken not only all over the americas also in the caribean and africa in total more than 20 countries.

I do not foresee though, any languge replacing english as the universal/ international language of communication. I know that this makes you very happy.
For immigrants who come here legally, ESL programs at local libraries is pretty much all they have outside of their job. When I was younger, I was in an ESL program even though they KNEW for a FACT that I was born in the United States and have been in American schools all of my life. Never had a problem with English. As far as everyone knew, I spoke Spanish like a Mexican and English like an American. The programs that are a complete waste of money are those Bi-lingual schools. Kids don't learn English quick enough because they are being Babied in Spanish and just don't learn English well.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:38 AM

46 posts, read 90,100 times
The bilingual ability is now favored in California for many jobs as Latinos are now the majority here.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:13 PM

162 posts, read 283,409 times
Talking I dont understand....No entiendo, Bilingual problem????

Why cant people just accept the world is changing, it is called EVOLUTION.
Globalization and Internet has taken us into a fast paced world, where language is the most important part of these changes.
English language is spoken in almost every country of the world, for busniness purpose mostly. We needd to understand that immigrant and language comes together as one piece. Just go back in the time and think of your own ancestors, when they first came to America they spoke in their native language. Spanish is not different, with the hispanic people already living here and their next generations still to come. By the way, this statement do not intend to encourage illegal immigration, but accuracy in terms of races and languages.
There is nothing wrong with learning a foreign language, no matter what you do for a living, it will provide you a better understanding of a different culture.
Be smart, learn something different, be unique, be yourself.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:01 PM

185 posts, read 307,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATOGAMO View Post
Why cant people just accept the world is changing, it is called EVOLUTION.
Globalization and Internet has taken us into a fast paced world, where language is the most important part of these changes.
English language is spoken in almost every country of the world, for busniness purpose mostly. We needd to understand that immigrant and language comes together as one piece. Just go back in the time and think of your own ancestors, when they first came to America they spoke in their native language. Spanish is not different, with the hispanic people already living here and their next generations still to come. By the way, this statement do not intend to encourage illegal immigration, but accuracy in terms of races and languages.
There is nothing wrong with learning a foreign language, no matter what you do for a living, it will provide you a better understanding of a different culture.
Be smart, learn something different, be unique, be yourself.
Evolution? I think a better word is "disrespect!"

My grandfather came through Ellis Island, went through a health screening and had to have immigration papers in order. The first thing he did was learn the language of the land because he had RESPECT for America and all it has (had) to offer.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:08 PM

Hey Cribster, I did the same thing your grandpa did. You can tell by my language fluency I did it real quick, in only 6 years living in this great country. Today as a US citizen, I havent change one bit as a person and I believe the multiculturalism (melting pot) add more value to our country.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:30 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,614,356 times
Quote:
Hey Cribster, I did the same thing your grandpa did. You can tell by my language fluency I did it real quick, in only 6 years living in this great country. Today as a US citizen, I havent change one bit as a person and I believe the multiculturalism (melting pot) add more value to our country.
By all means, more cultures to learn from and enjoy
Sassy

Old 03-19-2008, 09:06 AM

185 posts, read 307,259 times
Quote:

Much respect to you Catogamo for embracing the American way of life!

The problem is diversity (multiculturalism) to the exclusion of all else leads to division. Our culture is being overwhelmed by too many arriving here at once, not to mention the illegal factor, and they are not held accountable for their actions. I left a neigborhood after living there for 10 years, it went from 10% Hispanic in that time to 90% Hispanic.
While walking my dog through that neighborhood my encounters with people went from friendly greetings to hateful stares from the new arrivals. I got the impression that I was hated for stalliing their quest to recreate Meixco in my neighborhood, I was a blemish so-to-speak, a stranger in my own country.

This is where our "wonderful" diversity is leading us.

It's like giving a kid candy every time he cries for it, pretty soon that child will be out of control. You can see it in the way illegals have become emboldened. They break the law and show utter disrespect for the American way of life, then have the audacity to demand more!

Old 03-19-2008, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,252 times
Miami, thanks to the Cubans, has become a gateway to Iberian America. The Cuban diaspora has created business links through all the Americas.

Miami Cubans are generally bi-lingual & bi-cultural and are doing business with their relatives and Cuban friends overseas. The result has been the establishment of international businesses that require bi-lingual and bi-cultural workers.

The Spanglish-speakling New York Hispanics whose parents came to the US with a 250 word Spanish vocabulary now think they speak Spanish but in fact they speak a dialect that is neither Spanish nor English. The same has occurred in the West Coast and the Southwest. The result is that these Latinos will have a very hard time getting hired in Miami in any of the trading houses or banks that deal with Iberian America.

Anglos that are mono-lingual or that learned Spanish in the university generally do not have the cultural affinity needed for doing business with these Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries. Not your fault and neither is the fault of the businesses the Cubans created but an obstacle to your participation nonetheless.

The perception of Cuban discrimination is wrong as Cubans marry Anglos at a higher rate than any other Hispanic groups and their children are thoroughly assimilated and educated in Cuban schools in Miami that prepares them to live and work in a bi-lingual and bi-cultural business world, that is why they are so successful.

Instead of whining, others shoud emulate the Cuban-American example and become bi-lingual and bi-cultural and encourage their children accordingly.

And those who think of themselves as bi-lingual - be honest now - do you believe that a Spanglish speaking person could conduct business with cultured business people from Spanish-speaking countries?

Do not delude yourselves and learn proper Spanish and proper English as well, learn to modulate your speaking voice to speak standard English and standard Spanish and not the low dialects and accents imported by your parents from Mexico, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic.

Yes this country is English-speaking and we should encourage its proper use by all immigrants, but that is not the situation in Miami which developed its own business sphere of influence in Spanish and to some degree in Portuguese and French and where those involved are bi-lingual and bi-cultural. You want to compete there you have to do it on their grounds and their standards.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:24 PM

It seems we are confusing some terms. Diversity is precisely what supports this great country. Our biggest problem, relays on our authorities who havent address the problem propperly, and I really mean it. All the amnesties offered in the past never fixed the problem, and ultimately became a resource and some kind of "prize" for those who broke the law... we also have American employers that keep hiring illegals...., how can we expect a solution when the illegals find all kind of open doors, it doesnt make any sense, right?
We shouldn't waste our time discussing about races and racism, and all the chit-chat about eyes and skin color, thats wrong and is not fixing our problem. The worst thing is these silly talkings are dividing us. We know whats the real problem and we should push our authorities to do their job. We are wasting our taxes if we keep chasing illegals, we dont need to chase them anymore, it never worked before, we have to close them every door possible and make then fail on their goal of getting a job and starting a life in America after breaking the law. NO WAY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration