U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 06:55 PM

334 posts, read 714,543 times

Advertisements

I have traveled in Mexico for more than 40 years, had two years of Spanish (Castillan) in high school and now have lived in Mexico for almost 4 years. Close to the US border is very different than further into Mexico, but English is (should be) a second language here. I'm appalled at the gringos (mostly Californians, who can easily get here and live) who DEMAND that the Mexicans who they come into contact with speak English! Their rationale is that they are bringing the money, and if a Mexican (shop keeper, waiter, bank teller, etc.) wants the "American" money, then they should speak English. But then I know a guy here from England and a group of us offered to take up a collection so he could get into an ESL program so us "true americans" could understand him! By the way, last time I looked at an atlas, Mexico, and all of the countries south of here were still part of the Americas / hell even Canadians are American, including the rude SOBs from far east Canada!

I was in Home Depot (here in Rosarito) the other day and asked a young employee if they had any "tinte para ropa". She looked at me funny, I repeated, and she said "could I ask it in English, please". I said "tint for clothing" and she understood . . . .

I speak Spanish here as much as possible and resort to English when my Spanish fails. I read the Mexican newspapers every day and use an English Spanish dictionary a lot. I receive respect from the locals for my attempts at Spanish (along with quite a few laughs) and wouldn't have it any other way!

Dave

Old 03-21-2008, 07:30 PM

21,145 posts, read 35,083,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
I have traveled in Mexico for more than 40 years, had two years of Spanish (Castillan) in high school and now have lived in Mexico for almost 4 years. Close to the US border is very different than further into Mexico, but English is (should be) a second language here. I'm appalled at the gringos (mostly Californians, who can easily get here and live) who DEMAND that the Mexicans who they come into contact with speak English! Their rationale is that they are bringing the money, and if a Mexican (shop keeper, waiter, bank teller, etc.) wants the "American" money, then they should speak English. But then I know a guy here from England and a group of us offered to take up a collection so he could get into an ESL program so us "true americans" could understand him! By the way, last time I looked at an atlas, Mexico, and all of the countries south of here were still part of the Americas / hell even Canadians are American, including the rude SOBs from far east Canada!

I was in Home Depot (here in Rosarito) the other day and asked a young employee if they had any "tinte para ropa". She looked at me funny, I repeated, and she said "could I ask it in English, please". I said "tint for clothing" and she understood . . . .

I speak Spanish here as much as possible and resort to English when my Spanish fails. I read the Mexican newspapers every day and use an English Spanish dictionary a lot. I receive respect from the locals for my attempts at Spanish (along with quite a few laughs) and wouldn't have it any other way!

Dave
Strictly speaking: the word 'American' with no qualifier verb refers to a citizen of the USA only.

Canada=Canadian
Mexico=Mexican

Etc.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:59 PM

558 posts, read 243,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxMover View Post
I HATE seeing this on job postings!!!

How difficult would it be for a English speaking accounting/financial professional to get a job without speaking Spanish fluently in Miami?
That's why you should have learned a second lanuage in school. And if you live in Miami - Learn Spanish....DUH!

People who want to be successful in countries around the world learn english as a second lanuage.

If the company you are applying for has a high customer base that speaks spanish, you will have to know spanish. It's no science project. It's about securing revenue for the company. You see, companies now-a-days only know one lanuage. The lanuage of the almighty dollar!

Old 03-21-2008, 09:06 PM

493 posts, read 386,366 times
What if you were applying for a job at say...the University of Miami? Would Spanish be required or strongly encouraged then? If you do not have a good spanish skills...is Miami not worth even looking into...I'm only 22, so I wouldn't be able to teach at a University anyway...because I don't have a PHD...but was just curious how far the Spanish requirement goes

Old 03-21-2008, 09:24 PM

558 posts, read 243,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
What if you were applying for a job at say...the University of Miami? Would Spanish be required or strongly encouraged then? If you do not have a good spanish skills...is Miami not worth even looking into...I'm only 22, so I wouldn't be able to teach at a University anyway...because I don't have a PHD...but was just curious how far the Spanish requirement goes
University of Miami's student body is made up of students who speak english. So there is no need there.

However, Miami-Dade county is over 70% hispanic. So if you plan on living there, spanish will come in handly. You can live in Miami without knowing spanish, of course. However, I think if you have a PHD, you won't be looking for a job that requires "Bi-lingual" skills a must. Those are mostly service jobs. You know, customer service, hotels, car-rental places. Trust me, if you're a doctor, no one cares what lanuage you speak as long as you can heal them.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:55 PM

493 posts, read 386,366 times
Well, I am graduating soon with a Political Science Bachelor's Degree I don't know if I want to go to grad school, law school, or see if I can make it without a graduate degree...I have pondered a PHD, but that will take soooooooooo long and I want to start living my life after school soon...I play music...(Drums, Guitar, Vocals...) I know Miami-Dade has a thriving multi-genre scene going...Hard Rock to Folk...I was thinking about checking it out...As far as spanish goes...I took advanced placement spanish in high school and did okay at it...however...it's not like I have kept up with it...Miami has a significant cuban presensce...and because of their situation...I think they add more to society than say illegals from south of the border (I don't wanna get an immigration thing started, so I'll leave it at that)...so, I wouldn't be so opposed to re-learning spanish to fit in because of them...of course to become fluent, you have to emerge yourself...Would an Anglo like myself feel out of place there...just curious...
There are many Cubans...they are known to vote republican...Miami-Dade county does go slightly Democratic in presidential elections...do the Non-Hispanic whites, blacks, and other races...usually vote democratic then...assuming all cubans vote republican?
Thanks...

Old 03-22-2008, 11:23 AM

6,481 posts, read 16,811,635 times
A PH.d is a "DOCTORATE and a person is given the TITLE of DR. A M.D. is a Medical Docter who is in the practice of medical healing. B.A. is a Bachlers Degree; AA degree is Asociate in Arts degree. Hope we all have that straight. Stefhen

Old 03-22-2008, 02:44 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,616,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I will tell you of an incident to which I took great offence to back in 2005.

I am of 1/2 Hungarian heritage; do not speak the language because it is of little importance to me.

Well; I was at a function at my church where there were three Romanians of ethnic Hungarian heritage------the three started jabbering in front of me in that language. Being that all of 'em spoke English (two fluently); I felt left out.

That was pretty damn low class being that those people were in my country.

Trust me: if we were being invaded by a bunch of Hungarians illegally------I would be in touch with la migra yesterday.
If you were part of the conversation and they did that then it would be rude.
If you were not part of the conversation and they were speaking to their friends in their native tongue, I would not see anything wrong with it.
I have seen it in salons, etc.
I just don't think it is a big deal, for myself anyway.
Sassy

Old 03-22-2008, 03:54 PM

162 posts, read 283,578 times
You are absolutely correct one more time Sassy. When people cant speak any other language than English, they feel unsecure, they shouldn't. Its not offensive to speak other language, but challenging. I have seen thousand of Americans speaking English in Europe and South America, nothing wrong with it. I personally wish I knew more languages, actually I am trilingual, unfortunately work take my time away for learning swedish like my brother does. Anyways, I just wanted to support your post, is so right.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:01 PM

21,145 posts, read 35,083,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
If you were part of the conversation and they did that then it would be rude.
If you were not part of the conversation and they were speaking to their friends in their native tongue, I would not see anything wrong with it.
I have seen it in salons, etc.
I just don't think it is a big deal, for myself anyway.
Sassy
I was part of the conversation.

Apparently; I am the direct male descendent of the brother of a Hungarian revolutionary who led and lost a rebellion hundreds of years ago-----the man was executed for his efforts.

This gentleman would be comparable to Mexico's Santa Anna in historical significance.

The fact that I do not speak the above language evidently offended the trio that I described.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.