Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 05:45 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,085,101 times

Advertisements

Thank you Catogamo

In response to you Bear, I would have felt like I was being totally ignored and insulted.
Do you think we as Americans do that without thinking to other people of other cultures?
Sassy

Old 03-22-2008, 07:28 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,996,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Thank you Catogamo

In response to you Bear, I would have felt like I was being totally ignored and insulted.
Do you think we as Americans do that without thinking to other people of other cultures?
Sassy
The incident occurred here in the USA; what some Americans do outside of my country is not my problem.

If the latter act like idiots-------they deserve what they get.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:50 PM

451 posts, read 308,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
I have traveled in Mexico for more than 40 years, had two years of Spanish (Castillan) in high school and now have lived in Mexico for almost 4 years. Close to the US border is very different than further into Mexico, but English is (should be) a second language here. I'm appalled at the gringos (mostly Californians, who can easily get here and live) who DEMAND that the Mexicans who they come into contact with speak English! Their rationale is that they are bringing the money, and if a Mexican (shop keeper, waiter, bank teller, etc.) wants the "American" money, then they should speak English. But then I know a guy here from England and a group of us offered to take up a collection so he could get into an ESL program so us "true americans" could understand him! By the way, last time I looked at an atlas, Mexico, and all of the countries south of here were still part of the Americas / hell even Canadians are American, including the rude SOBs from far east Canada!

I was in Home Depot (here in Rosarito) the other day and asked a young employee if they had any "tinte para ropa". She looked at me funny, I repeated, and she said "could I ask it in English, please". I said "tint for clothing" and she understood . . . .

I speak Spanish here as much as possible and resort to English when my Spanish fails. I read the Mexican newspapers every day and use an English Spanish dictionary a lot. I receive respect from the locals for my attempts at Spanish (along with quite a few laughs) and wouldn't have it any other way!

Dave
That's the prevalent attitude throughout the world, US citizens holding
jobs overseas for years, and not learning a word from the local language,
for what I've witnessed the people in those countries just play along and don't make a big deal, they just think we are ignorant.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:07 AM

969 posts, read 2,840,655 times
If I was living in Mexico (or other Hispanic countries) - which I am not - I would EXPECT to speak Spanish or ask for help learning it.

I would EXPECT to speak the language in order to get and keep a job.

I would EXPECT to learn the language in order to be able to read street signs and secure a drivers license.

I would EXPECT to learn how to communicate with the native born population.

Why should I expect LESS from people moving the the USA?

Old 03-25-2008, 08:25 AM

21,144 posts, read 41,996,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
If I was living in Mexico (or other Hispanic countries) - which I am not - I would EXPECT to speak Spanish or ask for help learning it.

I would EXPECT to speak the language in order to get and keep a job.

I would EXPECT to learn the language in order to be able to read street signs and secure a drivers license.

I would EXPECT to learn how to communicate with the native born population.

Why should I expect LESS from people moving the the USA?
As Grasonville stated.

Now; what does offend me is having to know Spanish or any other language for day to day life here in the USA as a private citizen.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:00 AM

582 posts, read 2,031,682 times
How about we just stay away fron people we don't like.The vibes that i get is that it wouldn't matter if they spoke it or not some of us plain and simple hate minorities.This is just another excuse to not come out directly and express how you feel about certain cultures.I'm not a racist but i can tell you that i dislike disrespectful individuals,gang members,child molesters,criminals,ignorant people and just people in general that can't behave like good quality people and be productive.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
How about we just stay away fron people we don't like.The vibes that i get is that it wouldn't matter if they spoke it or not some of us plain and simple hate minorities.
I have no idea whether I "like" certain people until i meet them - I find the insistance that "I" speak a language other than English in the USA beyond annoying and in no way is this a prejudice against "minorities" - we need to stand up and make ENGLISH the national language.

This political correctness is costing us BIG TIME

I am tired of paying for 'bi-lingual' public publications (for example: voters pamphlets - written driving tests - signage (just to name a few).

Welcome to America - Now speak English

Old 03-25-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I have no idea whether I "like" certain people until i meet them - I find the insistance that "I" speak a language other than English in the USA beyond annoying and in no way is this a prejudice against "minorities" - we need to stand up and make ENGLISH the national language.

This political correctness is costing us BIG TIME

I am tired of paying for 'bi-lingual' public publications (for example: voters pamphlets - written driving tests - signage (just to name a few).

Welcome to America - Now speak English
the vibes are still the same there is a problem because of where they are from and that's the bottomline.Im sure english written driving tests and english voter pamphlets are in other countries as well and they are not complaining.By the way i've seen those tests and phamphlets you're talking about and they are not just in spanish there are other languages that you are not mentioning and that's why i believe it is because they are spanish.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
the vibes are still the same there is a problem because of where they are from and that's the bottomline.Im sure english written driving tests and english voter pamphlets are in other countries as well and they are not complaining.By the way i've seen those tests and phamphlets you're talking about and they are not just in spanish there are other languages that you are not mentioning and that's why i believe it is because they are spanish.
No - the problem isn't "where they are from" - in Montgomery County Maryland the written driving test can be taken in over SEVENTEEN LANGUAGES - who do you think pays for all this accomodation? In addition - last time I looked - the street signs on the interstate were still in ENGLISH so how do the people without English skills intend to DRIVE on these US roads if they can't read the signs?
Your presumption that this is a bias against "Spanish" is incorrect - I don't want to speak "French" either - or "Chinese" or "Albanian" in order to get a job and make my way in the USA.

English

Old 03-25-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
No - the problem isn't "where they are from" - in Montgomery County Maryland the written driving test can be taken in over SEVENTEEN LANGUAGES - who do you think pays for all this accomodation? In addition - last time I looked - the street signs on the interstate were still in ENGLISH so how do the people without English skills intend to DRIVE on these US roads if they can't read the signs?
Your presumption that this is a bias against "Spanish" is incorrect - I don't want to speak "French" either - or "Chinese" or "Albanian" in order to get a job and make my way in the USA.

English
good way to end it.You don't want to speak "french"or "chinese"so it's not just the spanish .Maybe we can start another thread that speaks about illegals in general not just the spanish.we're not all like that either 'i'm not mexican"but i can carry my own.Don't think for a minute that an american has not spoken english in front of me thinking i can't speak the language and what a surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration