U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 09:30 PM

558 posts, read 277,505 times

Advertisements

Yes...LITTLE need to speak spanish. Stop fooling yourselves. But you know what....PLEASE DO NOT LEARN SPANISH>>PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAASSSEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!
I have enough competition with the others that do speak spanish. Spanish is a valuable skill that I have. So if I apply for a position where spanish is "preferred", guess what, the person that doesn't speak spanish doesn't get the job but I do. So don't learn it, since you don't have the need for it. Better for me!!!!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:30 PM

162 posts, read 293,927 times
Default To ArizonaBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATOGAMO View Post
If you think there is little "need" to learn Spanish, then tell me why many US companies when you contact them over the phone you have to press 1 for English and 2 for Spanish? Why the cable companies have increased their programs and channels available in Spanish? why many products sold locally in the US have labels with intructions in Spanish and English?
I hope you dont blame on Illegals running those companies...They happen to be US businesses that undertood how necessary has become the use of Spanish language in America.
I am still waiting for your comments...

Old 03-25-2008, 09:32 PM

558 posts, read 277,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The incident occurred here in the USA; what some Americans do outside of my country is not my problem.

If the latter act like idiots-------they deserve what they get.
Typical American Response.

American (some) think it's the US, then the world. We are part of this world. What happens in other countries is your problem. Remember 9/11?

Old 03-25-2008, 10:21 PM

11,395 posts, read 15,999,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
Yes...LITTLE need to speak spanish. Stop fooling yourselves. But you know what....PLEASE DO NOT LEARN SPANISH>>PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAASSSEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!
I have enough competition with the others that do speak spanish. Spanish is a valuable skill that I have. So if I apply for a position where spanish is "preferred", guess what, the person that doesn't speak spanish doesn't get the job but I do. So don't learn it, since you don't have the need for it. Better for me!!!!
Agreed 100%. I worked my butt off to learn Spanish. And French and Portuguese. I'm sorry that so many in this country are too lazy to build up their resume and their character but it's their loss. I'm not shedding any tears.

So please, by all means encourage your children to learn French or just stick to English! Maybe they'll be able to find a job in one of those other countries where they want everyone to learn English.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:39 AM

451 posts, read 235,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Japan: that country is extremely xenophobic-------to the point that ethnic Koreans legally born/raised there are not usually counted as 'full' Japanese, both legally and culturally speaking

EU: many language; yes------but, all of the EU nations are solid First World status unlike, say, India, Mexico, etc.

China: out of ca. 1.2 billion people; maybe 150 million are affluent.

Try again.
You are missing the point my friend.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:59 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
they ask for this because they can. they also can and will also start asking for more credentials for the job, not bek you
need it for the job but bek they can. just when was it we decided we dont need labor movements.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:27 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,042,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
You can have any job that requires/prefers Spanish speakers, cause I sure as hell don't want it. No competition here, I'll be moving where it's not needed. There are many states other than border states where Spanish is next to useless, I for one prefer it that way.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATOGAMO View Post
I am still waiting for your comments...
There is such a "need" to learn Spanish because of the utter refusal of lazy Spainsh speakers to learn English. THEY made the choice to move to this country, so THEY should learn the majority language of this country. If I moved to Mexico, THEN I'd learn Spanish. What about immigrants, especially LEGAL immigrants who come to this country and LEARN ENGLISH? No one caters to them, none of you are on here are preaching that we need to learn Mandarin or Punjabi which I assure you could be used in places like the SF bay area, so why the hell are Spanish speakers so [mod cut] special???? What a joke.

Last edited by madicarus2000; 03-26-2008 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: language

Old 03-26-2008, 02:35 AM

11,395 posts, read 15,999,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
You can have any job that requires/prefers Spanish speakers, cause I sure as hell don't want it. No competition here, I'll be moving where it's not needed. There are many states other than border states where Spanish is next to useless, I for one prefer it that way.
I live pretty far away from the border and most places will take a bilingual person over a monolingual person- and except for specialized businesses, it's expected bilingual Spanish and English. It doesn't matter how close you are to the border or even how often you would HAVE to speak Spanish to another person- it's a commodity businesses are starting to expect. Even most college internships I've applied for "strongly encourage" applicants who speak fluent Spanish, regardless of whether it's a position in the corporate world, nonprofits, or the government!

Old 03-26-2008, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I live pretty far away from the border and most places will take a bilingual person over a monolingual person- and except for specialized businesses, it's expected bilingual Spanish and English. It doesn't matter how close you are to the border or even how often you would HAVE to speak Spanish to another person- it's a commodity businesses are starting to expect. Even most college internships I've applied for "strongly encourage" applicants who speak fluent Spanish, regardless of whether it's a position in the corporate world, nonprofits, or the government!
That happens to be where you live. Try Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, etc. I don't want to live in an area where people are too damn lazy to learn the language of this country, nor will I EVER reduce myself to catering to them. I would never move to another country and expect that of said country's citizens, I would learn the language. If the job requires bi-lingual, they won't be hiring me, and I'm just fine with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or