U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:59 AM

582 posts, read 1,785,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
I have no trouble with Hispanic people - what I have trouble with is the idea that in an English speaking country we are expected to learn a language of another culture.

What happens when the Chinese send 22 million people over here (leaving them PLENTY more to send later) - will we be expected to learn Chinese - and if so - which dialect?

My grandparents on both sides came to this country from elsewhere. Their FIRST goal after finding a place to live was to learn ENGLISH - they didn't expect the North American's already here to learn THEIR language.

Why has that changed?
it's only gonna get worse there are more immigrants coming in than going out.there seems to be a big problem in miami though with people not speaking english.i was in doral and kendall last may and i did happen to notice a lot of cuban restaurants down there and one of the things i noticed was none of the waitresses spoke english.so i can see where there would be a problem.but like i said if it takes moving to a different location than be it because from the looks of it it's not gonna change.i speak english and spanish and happen to have a job because of it.there is a lot of spanish traffic at the dealer i work at, so it's a plus.i apologize if i offended in anyway.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohope View Post
well said grasonville
don't get too carried away i see alot of italians,greeks,russians that have no intentions of learning any english but that is okay because of skin color.i've seen ilegal's from ireland as well with no papers whatsoever and that is just ignored once again skin color.skin color can take you a long way.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:24 PM

1,770 posts, read 7,328,162 times
Most of the retail stores in many sections of West Palm Beach are bi-lingual required. Hell in many sections it's Spanish required, English optional

It's definitely good to know two different languages. That being said, those who come to our country should learn how to speak English. In many European countries it's required to learn the main language of the country to become a legal citizen.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:28 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,974,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Most of the retail stores in many sections of West Palm Beach are bi-lingual required. Hell in many sections it's Spanish required, English optional

It's definitely good to know two different languages. That being said, those who come to our country should learn how to speak English. In many European countries it's required to learn the main language of the country to become a legal citizen.
I agree 100%

Old 01-17-2008, 02:07 PM

70 posts, read 217,649 times
well maybe if their were some free spanish classes i'll be interested in learning spanish again

Old 01-17-2008, 02:10 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,204,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohope View Post
well maybe if their were some free spanish classes i'll be interested in learning spanish again
There are, you just need to look for them. Go to your local community school. The Nova schools (the public ones) also offer numerous language courses.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:40 PM

3,231 posts, read 6,539,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
go to school and learn spanish it would only be an advantage for you.why make something negative out of something that would benefit you?less qualified than you?now would that be because their hispanic?because that's what it sounds like.
That is absolutely NOT what I said. Less qualified meant possibly, less educated or less experienced. Nothing more than that.

Yes, It certainly would benefit me to enroll in a Spanish class for sure. I'm not going to get into the ongoing continuation of the hispanic bashing thing with you on this forum. I find it utterly ridiculous. I made a personal choice to come live here in South Florida. I also have the choice to leave if I'm unhappy, which I'm not.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:36 PM

Default bilingual required!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
That is absolutely NOT what I said. Less qualified meant possibly, less educated or less experienced. Nothing more than that.

Yes, It certainly would benefit me to enroll in a Spanish class for sure. I'm not going to get into the ongoing continuation of the hispanic bashing thing with you on this forum. I find it utterly ridiculous. I made a personal choice to come live here in South Florida. I also have the choice to leave if I'm unhappy, which I'm not.
i'm not the one hispanic bashing in here.look at the posts,who are the ones complaining about the bilingual jobs?you can't bash a person because they know 2 languages that just makes them more qualified.the pope couldn't be the pope if he only spoke one language.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:29 PM

3,231 posts, read 6,539,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
i'm not the one hispanic bashing in here.look at the posts,who are the ones complaining about the bilingual jobs?you can't bash a person because they know 2 languages that just makes them more qualified.the pope couldn't be the pope if he only spoke one language.
I realize that you are new to this forum. Welcome! Happy to have you here!

If you'll go back and read all of my Miami posts, I'm pretty sure you'll see that I've never bashed a soul.

Thank you for your thoughtful insightful posts. It's been fun.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:14 PM

7,281 posts, read 18,701,492 times
I believe it is time to move this thread to the immigration forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or