U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 08:21 PM

79 posts, read 32,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Nope, I sure wouldn't. And if the size of the problem was just those in Mexican restuarants speaking Spanish I would also care less. But when millions of tax dollars are spent for schools and government paperwork for people too lazy to learn English then THAT is when I have a problem. If the language in question was Italian, German, French or any other European language (since you are inferring that if it were a 'white' language I wouldn't mind) my feelings would be the EXACT SAME. However, if the tables were turned and YOU were expected to learn Punjabi due to a mass influx of immigrants from India who refused to learn English I would bet big money your feelings would be different, with them not being "your own". Seems a bit hypocritical inferring that I'm the racist, don't you think?
Besides having prejudice, you stereotype people also. You think learning a second lanuage happens overnight. Why don't you learn one.

My latino friends all speak english, although not PERFECT, they speak it and write it. I have one friend who has better english grammar than some of my American friends. So stop your sterotypical, baseless, hateful agenda.

Did a Latino beat you up in school?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:25 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,022,764 times
No catogomo, America is becoming U.S. citizen-unfriendly, and newly resegregated, which is sad to me since this country worked so hard to defeat the bad old days in the twentieth century.

Today in Los Angeles, I was looking for a service in the phone book. Two of the three places I called spoke Spanish and had no one there who could speak to me in English. These cultural segregationists want no business from people born in this country apparently. How would their business have fared in their native Mexico if they spoke not a single word of Spanish?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:28 PM

451 posts, read 235,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Once again, do you plan on catering to Chinese, Japanese, Punjabi, Tagalogue? Or are Spanish speaking people special? Who exactly is the racist? You want to make exceptions for your own race, but not others? And how exactly is wanting Spanish speaking people to do as all other immigrants do when they move to this country and learn English?
It's a matter of common sense, the numbers don't lie ,and they show that we have two predominant languages in the country, English and Spanish.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:32 PM

451 posts, read 235,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
No catogomo, America is becoming U.S. citizen-unfriendly, and newly resegregated, which is sad to me since this country worked so hard to defeat the bad old days in the twentieth century.

Today in Los Angeles, I was looking for a service in the phone book. Two of the three places I called spoke Spanish and had no one there who could speak to me in English. These cultural segregationists want no business from people born in this country apparently. How would their business have fared in their native Mexico if they spoke not a single word of Spanish?
Have you been to Mexico city? hundreds of stores with well educated poly-lingual people that cater from people all over the world,and no I'm not
mexican nor do I have any relatives from latin-america.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:39 PM

162 posts, read 294,084 times
What kind of business where you looking for in the phone book? I am very curious...

Old 03-26-2008, 08:40 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,736,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John75 View Post
Besides having prejudice, you stereotype people also. You think learning a second lanuage happens overnight. Why don't you learn one.

My latino friends all speak english, although not PERFECT, they speak it and write it. I have one friend who has better english grammar than some of my American friends. So stop your sterotypical, baseless, hateful agenda.

Did a Latino beat you up in school?
Nice post and I of course agree with you. My latino friends also speak English and when I go to Mexico, it is few and far between to find people that do not speak english. The only reason that the topic is not popular on this forum is because some choose to tie Spanish with "illegals" and they don't have any use for them, although there are "illegals that also speak english. Since we have so many of our businesses out sourced when you call for help on something you may get someone from India answering your questions, they also speak english but it is sometimes hard to understand.
The world is changing and more people are becoming citizens in this country
and I do not have a problem with it.
Sassy

Old 03-26-2008, 08:48 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,646,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
It's a matter of common sense, the numbers don't lie ,and they show that we have two predominant languages in the country, English and Spanish.
Disagree.

Spanish is; if anything, losing influence with the growing movement to deport the illegal immigrants (most of whom happen to be from Spanish speaking countries) along with public opinion turning against 'bilingual' anything.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:00 PM

You again with the same thing??? We are used to see "untinkable" posts here. But no matter what, Spanish and English runs America, with or without the Illegals.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:21 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,646,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATOGAMO View Post
You again with the same thing??? We are used to see "untinkable" posts here. But no matter what, Spanish and English runs America, with or without the Illegals.
Factoring out the illegal immigrants and their Anchor Babies; I think not.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:29 PM

That would mean archor babies are already working illegally too, uh? nice try. Come on, give us a break in the forum. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or