U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-26-2008, 10:22 PM
 
451 posts, read 232,652 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheluvsfootball View Post
I'm sorry you "hate" seeing that title. Although I'm not latino, I am an HR professional responsible for recruiting bilinguals among others and the reality is, if the need wasn't there, companies wouldn't require it. For positions in Japan, my company may require you to speak Japanese.

As long as organizations are profiting from certain groups of people and the volume supports the business need, they will have the supply for the demand. The Spanish language is wonderful and I hope to be fluent myself to take advantage of increased opportunities.

Perhaps you can do the same that way for you, it would not be "difficult for an English speaking accounting/financial professional to get a job without speaking Spanish fluently in Miami?"
Good post, great advice

 
Old 03-26-2008, 10:28 PM
 
19 posts, read 48,697 times
Reputation: 24
BTW, Spanish people aren't necessarily making "no attempt" to learn the language. They may not have the command of the language as others do from countries that grow up bilingual. I interview many people with one and two college degrees from Spain, Ecuador, Puerto Rico, etc, that can only get truck driver, custodial jobs because although they take ESL courses, they may not have mastered the English language and as a result, have not been able to further themselves professionally.

As for companies "catering" to them, geez, in marketing we're ALL being catered to in one way or another. You think pastel colored Kitchen Aid mixers is geared toward men? The latino population is a major force in the economy although passed off as diversity and inclusion, it is more about marketing ($$) to that consumer base-bottom line.

I might sound the same way to them if I go to their native country on my 6 mos of Spanish and try having a conversation.
 
Old 03-26-2008, 10:35 PM
 
1,818 posts, read 2,721,492 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheluvsfootball View Post
I'm sorry you "hate" seeing that title. Although I'm not latino, I am an HR professional responsible for recruiting bilinguals among others and the reality is, if the need wasn't there, companies wouldn't require it. For positions in Japan, my company may require you to speak Japanese.

As long as organizations are profiting from certain groups of people and the volume supports the business need, they will have the supply for the demand. The Spanish language is wonderful and I hope to be fluent myself to take advantage of increased opportunities.

Perhaps you can do the same that way for you, it would not be "difficult for an English speaking accounting/financial professional to get a job without speaking Spanish fluently in Miami?"
Your post came at a perfect time, thank you for saying what others have been trying to get across.
 
Old 03-26-2008, 10:45 PM
 
1,818 posts, read 2,721,492 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
You agree with his insulting rant? Then perhaps you too need to read and comprehend my posts.
I have read your posts and I don't think I have jumped on you for anything have I? If I have please point it out to me.
Sassy
 
Old 03-26-2008, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Helena, Montana
2,010 posts, read 2,029,939 times
Reputation: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheluvsfootball View Post
BTW, Spanish people aren't necessarily making "no attempt" to learn the language. They may not have the command of the language as others do from countries that grow up bilingual. I interview many people with one and two college degrees from Spain, Ecuador, Puerto Rico, etc, that can only get truck driver, custodial jobs because although they take ESL courses, they may not have mastered the English language and as a result, have not been able to further themselves professionally.

As for companies "catering" to them, geez, in marketing we're ALL being catered to in one way or another. You think pastel colored Kitchen Aid mixers is geared toward men? The latino population is a major force in the economy although passed off as diversity and inclusion, it is more about marketing ($$) to that consumer base-bottom line.

I might sound the same way to them if I go to their native country on my 6 mos of Spanish and try having a conversation.
Yes, another problem with the world, it's all about money, not ethics. My point, as if I haven't said it several times already, is that there wouldn't be a need if Spanish speaking people would learn English as immigrants from every other country has to, but for some reason, Spanish speakers don't have to (seems a little racist to me). By companies catering to them, it makes it that much more unnecessary to learn English. It bugs me to no end when I see people in my area who can not even speak enough English to order fast food or conversate with retail workers, and then have the nerve to get upset because there is no one working who speaks Spanish. Happens all the time, every damn day. Does my position make more sense to you now? All I know is I would NEVER move to another country without learning that country's language, and I don't think I'm unreasonable or "hateful" to expect the same.
 
Old 03-26-2008, 11:17 PM
 
Location: Helena, Montana
2,010 posts, read 2,029,939 times
Reputation: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I have read your posts and I don't think I have jumped on you for anything have I? If I have please point it out to me.
Sassy

Because of this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John75
Besides having prejudice, you stereotype people also. You think learning a second lanuage happens overnight. Why don't you learn one.
.........So stop your sterotypical, baseless, hateful agenda.

Did a Latino beat you up in school?
and then you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone
Nice post and I of course agree with you.
 
Old 03-27-2008, 04:40 AM
 
Location: Maryland Eastern Shore
969 posts, read 2,446,488 times
Reputation: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by John75 View Post
Well, simply becasue they weren't enough of them to demand anything. .
Since you have NO idea if I am Irish or Italian or Greek or African or Australian or Icelandic how do you know how many of "them" there were?

And if shear numbers are all it takes to justify multi language accomodation heaven help us when the Chinese decide to come on down.
 
Old 03-27-2008, 07:54 AM
 
582 posts, read 1,775,860 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheluvsfootball View Post
I'm sorry you "hate" seeing that title. Although I'm not latino, I am an HR professional responsible for recruiting bilinguals among others and the reality is, if the need wasn't there, companies wouldn't require it. For positions in Japan, my company may require you to speak Japanese.

As long as organizations are profiting from certain groups of people and the volume supports the business need, they will have the supply for the demand. The Spanish language is wonderful and I hope to be fluent myself to take advantage of increased opportunities.

Perhaps you can do the same that way for you, it would not be "difficult for an English speaking accounting/financial professional to get a job without speaking Spanish fluently in Miami?"
great post! However i still think they won't get it.
 
Old 03-27-2008, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,447,268 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
great post! However i still think they won't get it.
What are we supposed to 'get'?

If I needed to work overseas in a non English speaking environment; I would make damn sure to learn the language used in everyday commerce.

Now: why in the hell should I have to learn Spanish (or any other tongue) to live/work in my own country? The de facto language of the USA is English. Deal with it.

I am not referring to special circumstances as the UN, Miami, etc. where there are strong dealings with overseas clients admittedly.
 
Old 03-27-2008, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Maryland Eastern Shore
969 posts, read 2,446,488 times
Reputation: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
What are we supposed to 'get'?

If I needed to work overseas in a non English speaking environment; I would make damn sure to learn the language used in everyday commerce.

Now: why in the hell should I have to learn Spanish (or any other tongue) to live/work in my own country? The de facto language of the USA is English. Deal with it.

I am not referring to special circumstances as the UN, Miami, etc. where there are strong dealings with overseas clients admittedly.
Quote:
For positions in Japan, my company may require you to speak Japanese.
Speaking of "getting it" - why is it that being required to speak Japanese in Japan is okey dokey but being required to speak English in the USA is a problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top