U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 11:38 AM

969 posts, read 2,460,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
As for other countries, have any of you ever been out of the country? How many countries to many speak 2-3 languages? Why so many? Because they border several countries just as the U.S. does with Mexico. Many countries residents speak a combination of German and Dutch, French and German, English and Dutch, etc, etc. Why are the residents of the U.S. so pompous and arrogant, or should I say ignorant?!
Using your logic then since Mexico borders the United States then ALL Mexicans should speak English in addition to Spanish - and since the United States borders Mexico AND Canada we should speak English, Spanish and French (for Quebec)?

Old 03-27-2008, 11:38 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
The ignorance is baffling....

Whats the problem with English/Spanish being preferred? If there is a Spanish speaking population then someone with knowledge of both languages is preferrable as they can service more of the population. Basically, someone with knowledge of 2 languages is typically preferable in many employment situations, as they are better educated! So, maybe the OP should better their resume, and learn another language, like many do in many other countries.

As for other countries, have any of you ever been out of the country? How many countries to many speak 2-3 languages? Why so many? Because they border several countries just as the U.S. does with Mexico. Many countries residents speak a combination of German and Dutch, French and German, English and Dutch, etc, etc. Why are the residents of the U.S. so pompous and arrogant, or should I say ignorant?!
Here in the USA; the laguage is English---------not Spanish or any other tongue.

Quote:
And by the way, Mexicans, Equadorians, Brazilians, etc are technically "Americans" too, as they live in North America, Central America and South America. We are not the only "Americans", though the U.S. maybe the most entitled feeling.
Citizen of Mexico=Mexican
Citizen of Canada=Canadian
Citizen of Brazil=Brazilian
Citizen of the USA=American

Old 03-27-2008, 11:40 AM

582 posts, read 1,786,200 times
Quote:
The ignorance is baffling....

Whats the problem with English/Spanish being preferred? If there is a Spanish speaking population then someone with knowledge of both languages is preferrable as they can service more of the population. Basically, someone with knowledge of 2 languages is typically preferable in many employment situations, as they are better educated! So, maybe the OP should better their resume, and learn another language, like many do in many other countries.

And by the way, Mexicans, Equadorians, Brazilians, etc are technically "Americans" too, as they live in North America, Central America and South America. We are not the only "Americans", though the U.S. maybe the most entitled feeling.
I sell cars and because i know spanish i sell more cars than anyone at my dealership and that's the truth.I sell to everyone!because i have the advantage of knowing 2 languages, now if i only knew english i would be any tom,dick,or harry with empty pockets.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
I sell cars and because i know spanish i sell more cars than anyone at my dealership and that's the truth.I sell to everyone!because i have the advantage of knowing 2 languages, now if i only knew english i would be any tom,dick,or harry with empty pockets.
And if your customers spoke ENGLISH they could shop ANYWHERE - I can see why you prefer them to NOT.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,798,499 times
Citizen of Mexico=Mexican
Citizen of Canada=Canadian
Citizen of Brazil=Brazilian
Citizen of the USA=American[/quote]

Again, the ignorance is baffling.....Any of those other countries could be called "Americans" as for North Americans or South Americans.

Do you not call French, British, Dutch, "Europeans"?

Old 03-27-2008, 11:48 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,798,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Using your logic then since Mexico borders the United States then ALL Mexicans should speak English in addition to Spanish - and since the United States borders Mexico AND Canada we should speak English, Spanish and French (for Quebec)?

If we were better educated, then yes, we would speak Spanish and French as well, as they do in many other countries.

Many, many Mexicans, Central/South Americans speak English. The EDUCATED ones! Unfortunately the educated people in this country are not as educated as them because they only speak English. In most other countries, children and adult learn school (even in kindergarten to speak more than one language)

Blame it on the educational system, blame it on laziness or blame it on the pompous bunch who refuse to learn!

Old 03-27-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
blame it on laziness or blame it on the pompous bunch who refuse to learn!
You mean like people who come to the United States from other countries and expect US to speak THEIR language??

Old 03-27-2008, 11:51 AM

162 posts, read 293,927 times
America is a continent. C-O-N-T-I-N-E-N-T.
USA is a country located in the America. USA citizens are better known as Americans.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:53 AM

582 posts, read 1,786,200 times
Quote:
And if your customers spoke ENGLISH they could shop ANYWHERE - I can see why you prefer them to NOT.
I speak english so they don't need to go anywhere.Like i said i sell to anyone!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:03 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,042,585 times
Quote:
You mean like people who come to the United States from other countries and expect US to speak THEIR language??
but.....but.........that's different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or