U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 01:19 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,303,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
go to school and learn spanish it would only be an advantage for you.why make something negative out of something that would benefit you?less qualified than you?now would that be because their hispanic?because that's what it sounds like.
Which "Spanish" should he learn? Different cultures use different words for the same thing. As a matter of fact, I've seen two different translations for the same term on an appliance box. Which is "more correct"? I guess it depends on who you ask for a translation?

Just as ONE example..."conejos" to a Mexican is a slang term for "muscles"...ask anyone else, and they'll think you're talking about rabbits!

Old 03-27-2008, 01:20 PM

334 posts, read 742,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Using your logic then since Mexico borders the United States then ALL Mexicans should speak English in addition to Spanish - and since the United States borders Mexico AND Canada we should speak English, Spanish and French (for Quebec)?
All Mexican kids go to school, and part of their studies includes 2 years of english (I think it is 2 years, used to be, might be more today)

Old 03-27-2008, 01:23 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,303,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
Then stop talking about just the spanish language and talk about all languages.I have met plenty of illegals that are not mexican and that's seems to be missed on this forum.All i hear is spanish this and spanish that let's open it up to all illegals,
Why is it that you RARELY hear them ask on the phone to press 2 for French, or German, or Russian, or Chinese? Aren't those languages accessible to people in the U.S.?

I have no problem with them speaking Spanish...I've learned Spanish to better relate. But, since I can speak French and German as well, what if I wanted to converse with a French or German speaker at a business? Because perhaps one of those languages would make me feel more comfortable, and better understood?

Old 03-27-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Here in the USA; the laguage is English---------not Spanish or any other tongue.

Citizen of Mexico=Mexican
Citizen of Canada=Canadian
Citizen of Brazil=Brazilian
Citizen of the USA=American
I don't get your "logic". It would only follow that a Citizen of the United States of America would be Unitedstatesians. Estadounidense is the Spanish name for a US citizen . . .

Old 03-27-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Which "Spanish" should he learn? Different cultures use different words for the same thing. As a matter of fact, I've seen two different translations for the same term on an appliance box. Which is "more correct"? I guess it depends on who you ask for a translation?

Just as ONE example..."conejos" to a Mexican is a slang term for "muscles"...ask anyone else, and they'll think you're talking about rabbits!
Sure, you ever try to understand a Welshman? Or how about a US Southerner. New Englanders have there own version as well as Australians and them other northerners, eh?

Well, in this part of Mexico, conejos are rabbits, or are you talking about a Mexican American (US) slang?

Old 03-27-2008, 02:32 PM

25 posts, read 14,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

The "Universal" Spanish is Castellano Spanish from Spain.

Same thing in America, People in Boston have "words" different from people in the deep South. But, we all know how to speak "proper" English.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:33 PM

25 posts, read 14,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
I don't get your "logic". It would only follow that a Citizen of the United States of America would be Unitedstatesians. Estadounidense is the Spanish name for a US citizen . . .
Right People of Latin AMERICA, are also Americans. Good point.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:58 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,646,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Citizen of Mexico=Mexican
Citizen of Canada=Canadian
Citizen of Brazil=Brazilian
Citizen of the USA=American
Again, the ignorance is baffling.....Any of those other countries could be called "Americans" as for North Americans or South Americans.

Do you not call French, British, Dutch, "Europeans"?[/quote]

I am 'ignorant'?

Then you better explain what a citizen of the USA is referred to as.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:03 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,646,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
If we were better educated, then yes, we would speak Spanish and French as well, as they do in many other countries.

Many, many Mexicans, Central/South Americans speak English. The EDUCATED ones! Unfortunately the educated people in this country are not as educated as them because they only speak English. In most other countries, children and adult learn school (even in kindergarten to speak more than one language)

Blame it on the educational system, blame it on laziness or blame it on the pompous bunch who refuse to learn!
There is no real incentive for me to learn either French or Spanish.

Outside of Latin America/Spain; the Spanish language is not widely used.

As for French; it is diminishing in status as it is. Besides; Quebec's Francophones only number about 4-6 million people.

OTOH: English is the lingua franca of the world. That may/will change in time admittedly--------not so long ago French was significant and prior to that, Latin.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:09 PM

582 posts, read 1,787,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
There is no real incentive for me to learn either French or Spanish.

Outside of Latin America/Spain; the Spanish language is not widely used.

As for French; it is diminishing in status as it is. Besides; Quebec's Francophones only number about 4-6 million people.

OTOH: English is the lingua franca of the world. That may/will change in time admittedly--------not so long ago French was significant and prior to that, Latin.
Problem solved just stay away from people that don't speak english and stay away from arby's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or