U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 03:42 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
Sure, you ever try to understand a Welshman? Or how about a US Southerner. New Englanders have there own version as well as Australians and them other northerners, eh?

Well, in this part of Mexico, conejos are rabbits, or are you talking about a Mexican American (US) slang?
Slang. But I've also seen the same words translated different ways on appliance boxes.

I suppose "lentes" or "anteojos" (spelling?) are basically the same thing?

In America, you could have a tap, a spigot, or a faucet. Depends on where you're at.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair and Balanced View Post
The "Universal" Spanish is Castellano Spanish from Spain.

Same thing in America, People in Boston have "words" different from people in the deep South. But, we all know how to speak "proper" English.
Castilian? My girlfriend claims that her kid learned MEXICAN in Arizona instead of Spanish. I remember learning "Spanish" in Florida, not Cuban, not Puerto Rican...and not Mexican.

The slang terms I picked up from native speakers, and reading a book from the library.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:05 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Castilian? My girlfriend claims that her kid learned MEXICAN in Arizona instead of Spanish. I remember learning "Spanish" in Florida, not Cuban, not Puerto Rican...and not Mexican.

The slang terms I picked up from native speakers, and reading a book from the library.
I catch your drift: about 20 years ago I remember a Mexican and and Argentine conversing with one another----------in English!

I knew both guys and was teasing them about not speaking Spanish........they replied that they could not understand one another's Spanish dialects--------so, they defaulted to English for obvious reasons.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:29 PM

451 posts, read 235,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

Oh, lord !!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 04:35 PM

451 posts, read 235,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I catch your drift: about 20 years ago I remember a Mexican and and Argentine conversing with one another----------in English!

I knew both guys and was teasing them about not speaking Spanish........they replied that they could not understand one another's Spanish dialects--------so, they defaulted to English for obvious reasons.
Arizona you should limit yourself to talk about armadillos, you obviously
do not know a thing about differences in Spaish by region, I bet you anything
that spanish is more similar between Argentina and Honduras than english is between Yuma and Phoenix

Old 03-28-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Arizona you should limit yourself to talk about armadillos, you obviously
do not know a thing about differences in Spaish by region, I bet you anything
that spanish is more similar between Argentina and Honduras than english is between Yuma and Phoenix
Since parts of South America speak Portuguese, and some speak Spanish, there may be extensive differences. One mentioned here before is the use of the pronoun "vos" and THAT verb form.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:10 PM

162 posts, read 293,927 times
Time to clear up some concepts before you guys go ahead with your bla bla bla.
There is no language spanish, is Castellano, and was born in Castilla, Spain.
Then, like here in the US some words means different things, like pop and soda.
Brazil is the only country in South America where portuguese is spoken, period.
Rest of the countries speaks Castellano with some regional different words that may mean the opposite in some other cities within the continent.
Now you guys can keep the yada yada or chit chat, and as usual with comments not related to the original thread.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATOGAMO View Post
Rest of the countries speaks Castellano with some regional different words that may mean the opposite in some other cities within the continent.
Now you guys can keep the yada yada or chit chat, and as usual with comments not related to the original thread.
As you and I both know: what is legally counted as 'Spanish' here in the USA (and probably most of Latin America) is indeed Castilian.

Now; there is a language of Spain called Catalon which ain't 'Spanish'.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:36 AM

334 posts, read 741,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATOGAMO View Post
Yeah, and everyone in the world who speaks English sound like Londoners, speaking the proper Queen's english . . . .

Old 03-29-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
Yeah, and everyone in the world who speaks English sound like Londoners, speaking the proper Queen's english . . . .
You reminded me of a person from the UK visiting the States who spoke what must have been Cockney-----I could not understand a single word of her 'English' dialect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or