U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 06:26 PM

17 posts, read 102,505 times

Advertisements

I'm currently applying for jobs in the Miami area, and it's flipping ridiculous that most of the jobs require you know Spanish fluently. I have no problem with "bi-lingual" being a job requirement if the position requires you to deal with international companies etc. What I have a problem with is the people who have immigrated from other countries in mass to the usa either didn't have the presence of mind or respect for the country they were moving to (usa in this case) to learn the language. It's very arrogant to go to another country and expect that country to adapt to you and your culture.

Another example of this is with France. Americans go to France for however long and come back and talk about how the French were rude to them. Well, similarly to how many people on this particular thread feel about Spanish-speaking people not learning English, the French feel that if a foreigner visits or lives in their country and doesn't try to assimilate into their culture via language and food and volume (Americans yell when they talk!) it is a HUGE insult. It's rude and arrogant. It is that person, whether he realizes it or not, saying that the language/culture of the country he's in (France in this example) is insignificant and his culture/language is better. And from there it's not a far leap for the French person to take it personally because if you tell someone their culture/language is insignificant; it's essentially telling the person that he is insignificant. etc

It is in nearly every culture/country/nation unacceptable for a foreigner to set up camp and not try to assimilate or at least learn/speak the language. Ironically this is one of the biggest issues the rest of the world has with Americans.

Additionally, the reason I pointed out similar situations with other cultures is so that no one will be able to cry "racism". Because it's not an issue of racism, it's an issue of respect.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:29 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,965,630 times
Again, I wouldn't mind if an employer was able to assert the opposite:

"Unaccented, mid-Western English speaker a MUST."

THAT is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I wonder, does anyone know if there have been successful lawsuits by non-Spanish speakers when dealing with "Spanish a must?" I agree that in South Florida, it's definitely a "no non-Latinos allowed" thing!

Old 01-17-2008, 07:16 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
[quote=flburgos;2541024]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Read again:

I applied for a job with the county in a field I had been going to college (and getting straight A grades) for - I took the test - scored 100% - had great references - was told I "would have been hired" except "you don't speak Spanish".

Had I been fired for not speaking Spanish I would be currently living in my villa in Tahiti on the money I made from THAT lawsuit.[/quote}if you're that qualified then move where there are no hispanics and this problem will go away.unfortanetely all races deal with this problem.how many people don't get hired because they are black or hispanic or too old or ugly it happens learn to deal with it.
To whom it may concern:

A friend of mine; born and raised in Mexico along with both of his parents considers himself 'Hispanic'-----never mind the fact that all four of his grandparents came from Russia over 70 years ago.

My friend is 100% 'White'-------no Indian, etc. heritage.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:18 PM

902 posts, read 505,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Again, I wouldn't mind if an employer was able to assert the opposite:

"Unaccented, mid-Western English speaker a MUST."

THAT is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I wonder, does anyone know if there have been successful lawsuits by non-Spanish speakers when dealing with "Spanish a must?" I agree that in South Florida, it's definitely a "no non-Latinos allowed" thing!
It is not much different in the Southwest when it comes to hiring, and I am talking about close to the border. It is nothing but double standards and bigotry all of the way. An employer should be able to ask for no accent-speaking English required for a job since the Spanish speakers think it is ok to discriminate against non-Spanish speaking people.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
It is not much different in the Southwest when it comes to hiring, and I am talking about close to the border. It is nothing but double standards and bigotry all of the way. An employer should be able to ask for no accent-speaking English required for a job since the Spanish speakers think it is ok to discriminate against non-Spanish speaking people.
Side note:

One big way to frost many New World Hispanics is to speak perfect Castilian Spanish------the Madrid, Spain variety.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:33 PM

902 posts, read 505,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Side note:

One big way to frost many New World Hispanics is to speak perfect Castilian Spanish------the Madrid, Spain variety.
True, most would not be able to understand very much of you would say at all.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:07 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
don't get too carried away i see alot of italians,greeks,russians that have no intentions of learning any english but that is okay because of skin color.i've seen ilegal's from ireland as well with no papers whatsoever and that is just ignored once again skin color.skin color can take you a long way.
You really rarely see that. I'm not sure I've ever seen an Italian, Greek, Russian or Pakistani, or Chinese and so on refuse to learn English. Many immigrants even learn English before arriving here and there's a reason we don't have to press 1 for Italian, 2 for Chinese, 4 for Greek, .... 9 for English.

It's the Spanish speakers that refuse to learn English. The other immigrants are both willing and able to learn the language of this country.

If you want to bring up skin color -- immigrants from African nations are also far more willing than Spanish speakers to learn some English.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You really rarely see that. I'm not sure I've ever seen an Italian, Greek, Russian or Pakistani, or Chinese and so on refuse to learn English. Many immigrants even learn English before arriving here and there's a reason we don't have to press 1 for Italian, 2 for Chinese, 4 for Greek, .... 9 for English.

It's the Spanish speakers that refuse to learn English. The other immigrants are both willing and able to learn the language of this country.

If you want to bring up skin color -- immigrants from African nations are also far more willing than Spanish speakers to learn some English.
Hell: the most successful race/ethnicity here in the so-called 'racist' USA are Blacks who immigrated here from Africa.

Although; many Americans who are uncomfortable around 'ghetto' Blacks tend to let their guard down around Africans------the perception is that much different.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:39 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
go to school and learn spanish it would only be an advantage for you.why make something negative out of something that would benefit you?less qualified than you?now would that be because their hispanic?because that's what it sounds like.
The point is that we should NOT have to learn Spanish to get a job in America. We speak ENGLISH here. The Spanish speakers need to learn OUR language if they're going to live here.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:42 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Most of the retail stores in many sections of West Palm Beach are bi-lingual required. Hell in many sections it's Spanish required, English optional

It's definitely good to know two different languages. That being said, those who come to our country should learn how to speak English. In many European countries it's required to learn the main language of the country to become a legal citizen.
It's required here, too. You must speak English to become a citizen. The tests are in English. However, there are frauds out there who somehow do the tests for the people who want to become citizens, in Spanish. They did a big expose of it a few years ago on 20/20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or