U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-04-2008, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Because we are a bilingual country English-Spanish
Knowing Spanish is not mandatory in this country...........in many places; not knowing English can earn one a night in jail if detained till identity has been determined.

 
Old 04-04-2008, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Rosarito Beach
334 posts, read 741,596 times
Reputation: 50
I took 2 years of Spanish in High School -- it was almost worthless the first time I tried it in Mexico, no one understood what I was saying. Having some training and be even marginally proficient is very difficult, and even after living in Mexico and trying to learn more (I read the local papers everyday, use an English-Spanish dictionary, and talk it all I can) I can only marginally speak it with a very limited vocabulary. English is simply much easier for me, especially if it's something important.

Of course, that's not a problem here, most everyone speaks english well enough.

When people who speak spanish are in the US, I don't think it's much different for them. They can speak in Spanish and be understood by enough people and get by. It's easier for them than trying their meager english.

And, there is a HUGE difference between people who intend to stay in the US and those who are there only to work. No incentive for the laborers to learn english. I think a lot of you assume that all illegals wish to stay in the US, and that is simply not true.
 
Old 04-04-2008, 03:49 PM
 
Location: California
1,268 posts, read 817,960 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Then why all the signs in English and Spanish? Why the need for Spanish interpretors in the court system and in hospitals? If these people can speak English and are well educated then why do we treat them as if they cannot speak English?
Put it this way, the largest minority in the U.S the Hispanics. In courts, they use a lot of legal jargon that would be hard for any American with minimal education to understand. Let alone someone who's not native to this country. If I go to another country like the philippines, on a temporary work visa, and get hurt while doing something and I end up in a hospital. I would expect someone to speak English there because even if I knew basic Taglog, I would not be able to communicate with the doctors there that well.
 
Old 04-04-2008, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Put it this way, the largest minority in the U.S the Hispanics. In courts, they use a lot of legal jargon that would be hard for any American with minimal education to understand. Let alone someone who's not native to this country. If I go to another country like the philippines, on a temporary work visa, and get hurt while doing something and I end up in a hospital. I would expect someone to speak English there because even if I knew basic Taglog, I would not be able to communicate with the doctors there that well.
I have looked at a few Philippine business websites.......it is so wierd seeing them in English.

Another interesting tidbit is that the official Gibraltar website is English only---------despite many of not most 'Gibs' would be counted as 'Hispanic' here in the USA if they were American.
 
Old 04-04-2008, 06:43 PM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
Reputation: 2873
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
I doubt it here in Germany. German is the official language and documents (even from local telephone company) are in German only. Even web sites for German utilities are only in German. Though many Germans speak English many also resist. But then again, why should they speak another language when they are in their own country!! Anyway it is quite frustrating never-the-less.
But don't you feel unwelcomed? Perhaps even marginalized? Perhaps we can get a few people who have posted on this thread to explain to the German government why bilingualism is the way to go, and if they resist it must be because they are uneducated and insecure
 
Old 04-04-2008, 06:48 PM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
Reputation: 2873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Put it this way, the largest minority in the U.S the Hispanics. In courts, they use a lot of legal jargon that would be hard for any American with minimal education to understand. Let alone someone who's not native to this country. If I go to another country like the philippines, on a temporary work visa, and get hurt while doing something and I end up in a hospital. I would expect someone to speak English there because even if I knew basic Taglog, I would not be able to communicate with the doctors there that well.
Absolutely, you are completely right there and it was a wrong argument on my part

I suppose what it boils down to is, are we losing our sovernity as a nation by letting another country's culture and language become dominant?
 
Old 04-05-2008, 12:33 PM
 
5,647 posts, read 6,459,082 times
Reputation: 4935
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
, Spanish is here to stay, in fact the majority of people I know(educated anglos) are ok cool with the idea, it's usualy the uneducated insecure people that are against it.
I disagree. Having lived in SO FL for 12 yrs. I knew many, many people (educated and affluent) who disliked hearing Spanish all the time. It is like living in a foreign country when you have to listen to that every day. Many hispanics I knew could speak perfect English, but CHOSE to speak Spanish as much as possible. I had an anglo friend who was a Spanish high school teacher. She said she'd be in an elevator in SO FL and hear the hispanics on there speaking in Spanish. They assumed she couldn't understand them and would say nasty things about her, about the U.S., and about Americans in general in Spanish. She said it made her blood boil. Here we give these people all America has to offer and they trash us.

By the way, the word "usually" is spelled with 2 L's.
 
Old 04-05-2008, 01:18 PM
 
451 posts, read 235,561 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I disagree. Having lived in SO FL for 12 yrs. I knew many, many people (educated and affluent) who disliked hearing Spanish all the time. It is like living in a foreign country when you have to listen to that every day. Many hispanics I knew could speak perfect English, but CHOSE to speak Spanish as much as possible. I had an anglo friend who was a Spanish high school teacher. She said she'd be in an elevator in SO FL and hear the hispanics on there speaking in Spanish. They assumed she couldn't understand them and would say nasty things about her, about the U.S., and about Americans in general in Spanish. She said it made her blood boil. Here we give these people all America has to offer and they trash us.

By the way, the word "usually" is spelled with 2 L's.
So, just stimulate your friends that are english only speakers to learn the other language of the land- Spanish.
 
Old 04-05-2008, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
So, just stimulate your friends that are english only speakers to learn the other language of the land- Spanish.
And; if us Americans decline to learn Spanish?

Give it up; barinnas, 'multiculturalism' is dying a (well deserved) death.
 
Old 04-05-2008, 03:23 PM
 
451 posts, read 235,561 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And; if us Americans decline to learn Spanish?

Give it up; barinnas, 'multiculturalism' is dying a (well deserved) death.

Al contraire mon ami, it's stronger than ever, learn Spanish, you'll like it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top