U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 11:51 AM

451 posts, read 236,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
It's not really based.. it is somewhat similar though. They had the same conquerers, the Spanish.
So, you are saying that mr bear is wrong again?

Old 04-06-2008, 01:24 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,711,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Let me see now,Mexican culture is close to Filipino culture. Fernando Varga (boxer) from Oxnard is Mexican American. Years ago had a next door neighbor who was from Hungary and his name was VARGA. Must be someone in the wood pile. Stefhen
Varga is a fairly common name in Hungary.

Hell; my father went to school in Szentes (1940's) with a kid whose last name was Kennedy.

And; looking at Ancestry.com, an immigrant was from the above country-----his name was Mihaly Rodriguez.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:11 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,396,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
It's not really based.. it is somewhat similar though. They had the same conquerers, the Spanish.

That's correct. Come sta...como esta...very similar.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:15 PM

1,268 posts, read 823,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
That's correct. Come sta...como esta...very similar.
Spanish: Feliz cumpleanos a ti
Taglog: Feliz cumpleanos "pa" ti

I think thats a correct translation..

Old 04-06-2008, 07:11 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,033,347 times
Today, in Los Angeles, I ordered a pizza by telephone: when I arrived to pick it up as the sole customer in the establishment, with no further pizzas awaiting delivery and the staff sitting around, they had mangled the order. In my non-online persona, I enunciate clearly, by the by. My educated guess is that the all spanish-speakers considered my American English impenetrable, and that understanding the words "large," "sausage" and "pizza" clearly overstepped their job skills in this large, recognizable restaurant chain. Welcome to the Brave New World interpretation of what is considered "bi-lingual" in Los Angeles: no English preferred.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Today, in Los Angeles, I ordered a pizza by telephone: when I arrived to pick it up as the sole customer in the establishment, with no further pizzas awaiting delivery and the staff sitting around, they had mangled the order. In my non-online persona, I enunciate clearly, by the by. My educated guess is that the all spanish-speakers considered my American English impenetrable, and that understanding the words "large," "sausage" and "pizza" clearly overstepped their job skills in this large, recognizable restaurant chain. Welcome to the Brave New World interpretation of what is considered "bi-lingual" in Los Angeles: no English preferred.

So basically your saying how bad they spoke English is how bad their Pizza was?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:09 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,063,172 times
Well, that cannot be. I have been assured in this very thread that Spanish speakers can and do speak English, they are just more comfortable talking in Spanish.

That said, I hope you call this chains hotline and complain about the service.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Well, that cannot be. I have been assured in this very thread that Spanish speakers can and do speak English, they are just more comfortable talking in Spanish.

That said, I hope you call this chains hotline and complain about the service.
I have laughed on one than more occasion of one of my family member's pronounciation of an English word. Pixa for Pizza is too funny not to laugh.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:20 AM

451 posts, read 236,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
It could have been that they needed sub-titles, like they do with the british
programs prepared for the american public, since we can not understand our own mother language, fascinating isn't it?

Old 04-07-2008, 08:30 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,033,347 times
barinnas, I'm an American in my own country, and I enunciate clearly. They were employees of a national chain famous for one food item and offering the convenience of telephone ordering, but they were not English speakers, (and they weren't that busy.)

How can you rationalize away the lack of understanding the most basic job vocabulary in your field in English within U.S.? This was neither a specialized, mainly foreign clientele restaurant, nor an overburdened mom and pop-type place. I'm an American, ordering a simple item in English in America. I don't find the lack of any English whatsoever in the U.S. fascinating, I find it separatist and destructive.

camping!, my nature is such that in future I'll ask them to repeat my order back to me; why get underlings fired for their bosses' mistakes in hiring non-English speakers? I save my complaints about lack of English to genuine, egregious examples of same in Los Angeles, which of course one finds daily. I.e., I had no hesitation about calling the national headquarters of a nation-wide gasoline station chain to complain that one station's owner has habitually removed all signs in English to put up solely those in spanish. This station is in America, in a major city, in an area of citizens and immigrants from all over the globe. I complained to headquarters that whatever specials the company was offering, they now were not available to all clientele, and that the owner, when queried by me to where were any signs in English, spat back, "No signs English 'cos I speak spanish!" Again, this was a national chain in America; again the lack of English in the U.S., is separatist and destructive.

Last edited by fastfilm; 04-07-2008 at 08:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or