U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-07-2008, 08:26 AM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
Reputation: 2873

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
barinnas, I'm an American in my own country, and I enunciate clearly. They were employees of a national chain famous for one food item and offering the convenience of telephone ordering, but they were not English speakers, (and they weren't that busy.)

How can you rationalize away the lack of understanding the most basic job vocabulary in your field in English within U.S.? This was neither a specialized, mainly foreign clientele restaurant, nor an overburdened mom and pop-type place. I'm an American, ordering a simple item in English in America. I don't find the lack of any English whatsoever in the U.S. fascinating, I find it separatist and destructive.

camping!, my nature is such that in future I'll ask them to repeat my order back to me; why get underlings fired for their bosses' mistakes in hiring non-English speakers? I save my complaints about lack of English to genuine, egregious examples of same in Los Angeles, which of course one finds daily. I.e., I had no hesitation about calling the national headquarters of a nation-wide gasoline station chain to complain that one station's owner has habitually removed all signs in English to put up solely those in spanish. This station is in America, in a major city, in an area of citizens and immigrants from all over the globe. I complained to headquarters that whatever specials the company was offering, they now were not available to all clientele, and that the owner, when queried by me to where were any signs in English, spat back, "No signs English 'cos I speak spanish!" Again, this was a national chain in America; again the lack of English in the U.S., is separatist and destructive.
I'm sorry that you have to live like that........but be prepared to defend yourself against allegations of 'not caring' for the poor immigrants who only want a better life for themselves.

On a side note, I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why all other nationalities must learn English except Spanish speakers. And the reason because theres a lot of them doesn't fly.

 
Old 04-07-2008, 12:56 PM
 
37 posts, read 140,570 times
Reputation: 35
Well, I guess I'm joining this thread a bit late, but nonetheless, I wanted to give my 2 cents. First, the Hispanic immigration has been steady for a long time, so at any given time you will encounter a mix of generations of Hispanics throughout a city, lets say, like Miami. Yes, it is true, that there are many recently arrived individuals who assume that Spanish is enough to get by in a city like this one, but on the other hand, there are many second and third generation Hispanics that can barely speak Spanish (let alone write it), because they grew up as Americans speaking English as a means to advancing their education and professional status. Sure, some remnants of the native language persist, mostly as a means to ask the Abuelita for food (someone coined the term kitchen Spanish), but in reality, most good jobs and universities only ask you to be fluent in English.
On the other hand, those hard-headed Spanish-only speakers are highly visible for most of us, as they take low wage jobs as cashiers in the supermarket or McDonalds, making the problem seem worse than what it really is. My opinion on this matter is that in the end, those who refuse to assimilate and learn English are just hurting themselves in the process, as they deny themselves the opportunity to get a decent college education, leading them to be stuck in a miserable crappy job for the rest of their lives. I have personally seen that happen to several people through the years, and in the end, those individuals tend to only socialize with other marginalized folks, struggle to make ends meet, and continuously complain about how "hard" life is in the US. My question to them is always the same: why did you come here in the first place?
 
Old 04-07-2008, 02:59 PM
 
451 posts, read 235,561 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
barinnas, I'm an American in my own country, and I enunciate clearly. They were employees of a national chain famous for one food item and offering the convenience of telephone ordering, but they were not English speakers, (and they weren't that busy.)

How can you rationalize away the lack of understanding the most basic job vocabulary in your field in English within U.S.? This was neither a specialized, mainly foreign clientele restaurant, nor an overburdened mom and pop-type place. I'm an American, ordering a simple item in English in America. I don't find the lack of any English whatsoever in the U.S. fascinating, I find it separatist and destructive.

camping!, my nature is such that in future I'll ask them to repeat my order back to me; why get underlings fired for their bosses' mistakes in hiring non-English speakers? I save my complaints about lack of English to genuine, egregious examples of same in Los Angeles, which of course one finds daily. I.e., I had no hesitation about calling the national headquarters of a nation-wide gasoline station chain to complain that one station's owner has habitually removed all signs in English to put up solely those in spanish. This station is in America, in a major city, in an area of citizens and immigrants from all over the globe. I complained to headquarters that whatever specials the company was offering, they now were not available to all clientele, and that the owner, when queried by me to where were any signs in English, spat back, "No signs English 'cos I speak spanish!" Again, this was a national chain in America; again the lack of English in the U.S., is separatist and destructive.
Maybe, but, you've seen hoe the british need to sub-title the programs seen in the U.S., people in the U.S. tend to forget that there is a world out there,
sometimes people from different trailer parks can not communicate with each other.
 
Old 04-07-2008, 03:03 PM
 
1,818 posts, read 2,734,736 times
Reputation: 223
Maybe, but, you've seen hoe the british need to sub-title the programs seen in the U.S., people in the U.S. tend to forget that there is a world out there,
sometimes people from different trailer parks can not communicate with each other.

[+] Rate this post positively ROFL
 
Old 04-07-2008, 03:29 PM
 
1,398 posts, read 6,019,301 times
Reputation: 1788
So, are you infering that you approve of voluntary non-communication within our U.S. borders? That refusal to learn the lingua franca of the United States isn't internecene to our social harmony? Or do you merely knee-jerk reflex online ROFL at any post that is anti-American citizen, culture and lingua franca?

I reiterate that "non-English preferred" as practiced in Los Angeles' work force employment is separatist and destructive. There are so many citizens here in the U.S., both naturalized and born, from all parts of the globe that English must be the unifying communication to all. There is no other country with that pedigree of people from everywhere; hence, "E Pluribus Unum" as Americans, not vice versa.
 
Old 04-07-2008, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Maybe, but, you've seen hoe the british need to sub-title the programs seen in the U.S., people in the U.S. tend to forget that there is a world out there,
sometimes people from different trailer parks can not communicate with each other.
Very true there:

English speakers from trailer park X usually cannot communicate with Spanish speakers from trailer park Y.

Besides: the birthrate of English speaking Americans (of any race/ethnicity) is at replacement level.
 
Old 04-07-2008, 03:43 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
So, are you infering that you approve of voluntary non-communication within our U.S. borders? That refusal to learn the lingua franca of the United States isn't internecene to our social harmony? Or do you merely knee-jerk reflex online ROFL at any post that is anti-American citizen, culture and lingua franca?
<snip>
Those of you who selected 'all of the above' are correct.
 
Old 04-07-2008, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Rosarito Beach
334 posts, read 741,596 times
Reputation: 50
[quote=fastfilm;3384277]So, are you infering that you approve of voluntary non-communication within our U.S. borders? That refusal to learn the lingua franca of the United States isn't internecene to our social harmony? Or do you merely knee-jerk reflex online ROFL at any post that is anti-American citizen, culture and lingua franca?

What the . . . . am I supposed to go and learn French now? Just getting into this Spanish thing .
 
Old 04-07-2008, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
[quote=Dave Rosarito;3385304]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
So, are you infering that you approve of voluntary non-communication within our U.S. borders? That refusal to learn the lingua franca of the United States isn't internecene to our social harmony? Or do you merely knee-jerk reflex online ROFL at any post that is anti-American citizen, culture and lingua franca?

Quote:
What the . . . . am I supposed to go and learn French now? Just getting into this Spanish thing .
I suspect that lingua franca is now an English phrase like 'burrito', 'tsunami', 'de facto' and a few other words
 
Old 04-07-2008, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Rosarito Beach
334 posts, read 741,596 times
Reputation: 50
[quote=ArizonaBear;3385334]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post

I suspect that lingua franca is now an English phrase like 'burrito', 'tsunami', 'de facto' and a few other words
Thank God!!! I was afraid I'd have to start drinking fancy wine . . . and wearing those silly ruffled shirts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top