U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 10:38 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,266,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
barinnas, I'm an American in my own country, and I enunciate clearly. They were employees of a national chain famous for one food item and offering the convenience of telephone ordering, but they were not English speakers, (and they weren't that busy.)

How can you rationalize away the lack of understanding the most basic job vocabulary in your field in English within U.S.? This was neither a specialized, mainly foreign clientele restaurant, nor an overburdened mom and pop-type place. I'm an American, ordering a simple item in English in America. I don't find the lack of any English whatsoever in the U.S. fascinating, I find it separatist and destructive.

camping!, my nature is such that in future I'll ask them to repeat my order back to me; why get underlings fired for their bosses' mistakes in hiring non-English speakers? I save my complaints about lack of English to genuine, egregious examples of same in Los Angeles, which of course one finds daily. I.e., I had no hesitation about calling the national headquarters of a nation-wide gasoline station chain to complain that one station's owner has habitually removed all signs in English to put up solely those in spanish. This station is in America, in a major city, in an area of citizens and immigrants from all over the globe. I complained to headquarters that whatever specials the company was offering, they now were not available to all clientele, and that the owner, when queried by me to where were any signs in English, spat back, "No signs English 'cos I speak spanish!" Again, this was a national chain in America; again the lack of English in the U.S., is separatist and destructive.
hope you never go to Chinatown then...

Old 04-08-2008, 07:30 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,018,519 times
On the contrary, TKramer, my experience shows that virtually every enclave of foreign nationals in the workforce in Los Angeles with the exception of the illegals from south of the border, makes an effort not to exclude new customers, even in the specialty stores. For instance, one of my family works in Koreatown here, wherein you do find English alongside Korean on the signage (unlike so many of spanish-language establishments,) alongside accommodating personnel. I'm curious: why would one defend an American national chain hiring non-English speakers to deal with the general public?

Last edited by fastfilm; 04-08-2008 at 07:40 AM..

Old 04-08-2008, 12:01 PM

451 posts, read 235,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
On the contrary, TKramer, my experience shows that virtually every enclave of foreign nationals in the workforce in Los Angeles with the exception of the illegals from south of the border, makes an effort not to exclude new customers, even in the specialty stores. For instance, one of my family works in Koreatown here, wherein you do find English alongside Korean on the signage (unlike so many of spanish-language establishments,) alongside accommodating personnel. I'm curious: why would one defend an American national chain hiring non-English speakers to deal with the general public?
You can not expect anyone here to understand any of the oriental languages, but Spanish is part of our culture, and at the very least a language very familiar to any one here in the U.S.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:10 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
You can not expect anyone here to understand any of the oriental languages, but Spanish is part of our culture, and at the very least a language very familiar to any one here in the U.S.
Can I have some of what you've been smoking???

Old 04-08-2008, 12:10 PM

8,161 posts, read 9,363,321 times
Quote:
Justify this. You talk a lot of talk, but how bout you back that up?

Old 04-08-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Justify this. You talk a lot of talk, but how bout you back that up?

If you don't beleive it, look it up

Old 04-08-2008, 12:16 PM

8,161 posts, read 9,363,321 times
Quote:
If you don't beleive it, look it up
How about you back up what you assert. Oh I get it, you made it up so you put it on us to do your work for you. Nice job. It's getting old.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:53 PM

969 posts, read 2,459,662 times
Quote:
This is so hypocritical. I am sure that when the Chinese come over they will insist that after ALL the years of Chinese food that we (including the Spanish) "at the very least" should be familiar with THEIR language.

This type of thinking is what is wrong with "bi-lingual" - you want to make Spanish a protected "alternate" language - with signage and voter forms and driving tests to serve that population - when will that end?

Old 04-08-2008, 12:58 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
[quote=Grasonville;3393955]This is so hypocritical. I am sure that when the Chinese come over they will insist that after ALL the years of Chinese food that we (including the Spanish) "at the very least" should be familiar with THEIR language.

This type of thinking is what is wrong with "bi-lingual" - you want to make Spanish a protected "alternate" language - with signage and voter forms and driving tests to serve that population - when will that end?[/quote

Absolutely!
Bilingualism was never the goal.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:02 PM

[quote=camping!;3394016]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
This is so hypocritical. I am sure that when the Chinese come over they will insist that after ALL the years of Chinese food that we (including the Spanish) "at the very least" should be familiar with THEIR language.

This type of thinking is what is wrong with "bi-lingual" - you want to make Spanish a protected "alternate" language - with signage and voter forms and driving tests to serve that population - when will that end?[/quote

Absolutely!
Bilingualism was never the goal.
Too Late Spanish is Strong and here to stay, is in all government agencies,
and private companies as well, the vast majority of americans appreciate
or bi lingual society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or