U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 01:18 PM

969 posts, read 2,460,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why would you want to DRIVE to places to work and shop? Why wouldn't they be close enough to walk to? Within five miles, in other words.
According to your scenario they are all living in a MARTIAN neighborhood - if they choose not to learn/speak EARTH SPEAK - they will be unable to work ANYWHERE else - since you certainly don't advocate that we all have to now learn MARTIAN to accomodate them?

Old 04-10-2008, 01:21 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,279,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
According to your scenario they are all living in a MARTIAN neighborhood - if they choose not to learn/speak EARTH SPEAK - they will be unable to work ANYWHERE else - since you certainly don't advocate that we all have to now learn MARTIAN to accomodate them?
No, I'm not denying that they know our language...or at least one of our languages, since we have SO many. I'm saying that they are more comfortable USING their own, and if they have a choice of being able to use their language, or not, they're going to go where they feel more comfortable, that is, where THEIR language is spoken.

Why are there "biker" bars? Do you suppose yuppies would be welcome to spend their money there?

Old 04-10-2008, 01:26 PM

969 posts, read 2,460,504 times
Quote:
Why are there "biker" bars? Do you suppose yuppies would be welcome to spend their money there?
Since "Biker" isn't a foreign language - any ENGLISH speaker is welcome to go in and order a Budweiser (or even a Corona) in ENGLISH.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Since "Biker" isn't a foreign language - any ENGLISH speaker is welcome to go in and order a Budweiser (or even a Corona) in ENGLISH.
Um...you would be wrong. If you're not a biker, you're going to find yourself completely unwelcome...and probably refused service and asked to leave (at least the FIRST time).

Old 04-10-2008, 01:35 PM

13,050 posts, read 21,168,230 times
Quote:
Um...you would be wrong. If you're not a biker, you're going to find yourself completely unwelcome...and probably refused service and asked to leave (at least the FIRST time).
You've just revealed to us how the Martian community feels about the rest of us Earthlings - thanks for poviding this valuable insight. I hope everyone takes note.

P.S. Are you a biker? Do you know any bikers? Have you ever been to a biker bar? I have, and I was not refused service, and not asked to leave. As a matter of fact, they were quite welcoming. And no, I am not a biker. Go figure.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:44 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
And the irony today it is mostly Yuppies who can afford to buy new Harleys...............besides; not all 'stereotypical looking' Bikers (tattoos, etc) are troublemakers.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
You've just revealed to us how the Martian community feels about the rest of us Earthlings - thanks for poviding this valuable insight. I hope everyone takes note.

P.S. Are you a biker? Do you know any bikers? Have you ever been to a biker bar? I have, and I was not refused service, and not asked to leave. As a matter of fact, they were quite welcoming. And no, I am not a biker. Go figure.
Well, let me explain. It was NOT a biker bar, it was one I usually frequented...but when the bikers held their rally there one day, I was not welcome WHILE they were there. I'm not a biker. I don't even SEEM like a biker. I've never stayed long in ANY biker bar...I've been to "Mexican" bars too...and quickly left because "gringos" aren't welcome--even though I speak the language.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:56 PM

451 posts, read 235,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And the irony today it is mostly Yuppies who can afford to buy new Harleys...............besides; not all 'stereotypical looking' Bikers (tattoos, etc) are troublemakers.
like the vast majority of migrant workers are honest.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:05 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
like the vast majority of migrant workers are honest.
I suspect the majority of legal migrant workers are indeed honest.........

The illegal ones are; by their very status in the USA, dishonest

Old 04-10-2008, 04:20 PM

I've brought this up before...and it was pretty much ignored.

I served in the Navy. There are a lot of Filipinos in the Navy. They speak their own language amongst themselves.

Is this any sort of problem??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or